Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
glitchu1
glitchu1 began at the beginning.

Unhappy Buying a Reader HELP!

Hi, i need help! I really want a sony reader and I live in Australia, and as you may know it is not available in Australia. I went to B&H photo to buy it because it was the only one that could do international shipping but when it went to verify my Visa card it said 'could not verify card' and so i can't buy it and suggestions or does anyone know of any other places to buy it? I'd really love to buy a Reader,

thanks,
Chris

EDIT: I just bought a reader off ebay now i just have wait for it to come.....in total it cost me $420 US (AUD$503) for the reader and the shipping...i don't think i got any credit with it.

Last edited by glitchu1; 04-17-2007 at 09:14 PM.
glitchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could buy one from eBay and pay by PayPal. That's what I did, and it all went very smoothly. Select a seller with a good reputation and you'll be safe enough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
glitchu1
glitchu1 began at the beginning.

I looked at ebay but there were only about 5 there, most were USD$400+ one was $370 but thats the cheapest i could find...and i work at McDonalds, I'm not made of money! lol
glitchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Retail on the Reader is US$350, you won't really find it much cheaper than that. Also, considering you're in Australia, you'll have to make sure the seller ships internationally (and it'll either cost a lot or take forever to get to you).

I found a few (already complete) where the Reader sold for under $350, so just keep an eye out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-eReader-PRS...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Sony-P...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Ebook-Reade...QQcmdZViewItem
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But what I want to know is why do so many people try to sell the Sony for more then I can buy it for from Sony or Borders?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
They probably buy the Reader for $350 from an area with a good supply of them and hope to resell for a small profit to someone in an area where they are scarce.

I did a favor for someone on this board and shipped one international to Switzerland. I bought it at a local store for $350 and paid 6% tax. The packing material and shipping and insurance was like $40 if I remember right. Plus paypal fees which were around $17. So add that all up and you get around $430 without adding anything for your time. eBay "commercial" sellers can probably avoid the 6% sales tax that a normal guy like me has to pay, but still, you can see why they cost more than the $350 for which you can go to the store and pick one up.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps because 95% of the world's population can't buy it from Sony or Borders? Don't forget that the Reader is currently only officially sold in the US, although a UK launch is strongly rumoured for June or so this year.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
but still, you can see why they cost more than the $350 for which you can go to the store and pick one up.
I ended up paying the equivalent of US$630 for mine, taking into account all the charges for shipping, import duties, VAT, etc etc etc.

Worth every penny .
Old 04-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
B&H is a great store and they sell internationally. I suggest you send them an e-mail and ask how to order it.

Keep in mind that you will not be able to buy books online from the Sony Connect Store, that only takes US credit cards.

LBalsam
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBalsam
Keep in mind that you will not be able to buy books online from the Sony Connect Store, that only takes US credit cards.
But there are ways around that, such as Connect Gift Certificates, which a number of forum members here, such as Leaping Gnome, very kindly offer to buy for non-US members.

There are lots of other sources of books, too, other than Connect!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBalsam
B&H is a great store and they sell internationally. I suggest you send them an e-mail and ask how to order it.

LBalsam
I would suggest to go one more step further and call them.
When I called them just to verify whether they ship the reader to the UK and I told them that I am going to order it via their website, they said that it would be more convenient for me and for them if I ordered over the phone, because there are problems with credit cards sometimes etc.
I am 99% positive that if you call them you will be able to place an order. Be prepared they are going to ask you for a copy of your credit card - both sides. You may send the copies either via fax, or by special verification email they can give you. I don't have a fax at home, so I just made digi pics of my card and sent them
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One site I worked with suggested that credit card numbers be sent in several emails -- one with the odd digits, one with the even digits, and one with the other info. I got my stuff and no one has since used the card except me so I guess it worked.

I like the concept of sending pictures of the numbers.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I ended up paying the equivalent of US$630 for mine, taking into account all the charges for shipping, import duties, VAT, etc etc etc.

Worth every penny .
Wow, that's quite a premium you had to pay Harry! And I am very glad you got the Reader for all the great books I got thanks to you.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT

Worth every penny .
$630 WOW.

Let's see how much it cost me...

$350 - reader
$42 - shipping
£47~$85 tax

total: $477

HarryT did you include the special wooden case for $350 into this sum?

Well after that I spent $52 nephite pouch, $22 prs-light01, $35 verilux light and when sony starts to sell the reader in the UK probably $60 for leather cover. All together...a lot
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The main reason mine was so expensive was that I bought it back in the "old days" when there was a long delay in buying them from Sony, so they were selling on eBay for considerably above retail price - I paid $450 for mine. That, plus shipping, and all the import duties and taxes is why it added up to so much.

I've absoutely no regrets - as I said, I consider it to be worth every penny.