Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Laurathereader
Laurathereader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
New here with a question - Library books?

Hi guys,

I just got my first Kindle a couple of weeks ago, I have a graphite DX. This is also my first eReader. It was a gift and I have been lovingly it. I would love it even more if there was a way that I could get library books on it? Is this possible or can you only do that with other ereaders?

Thanks,
Laura
Laurathereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
No unfortunately Kindles just do not work with library books.

I used to have a Sony ereader and that did work with library books that were based on the overdrive system which I think covers most/all of the elibraries I know of.

Amazon do provide plenty of free books however (modern as well as old) and they are normally listed on here at mobileread.

Hope you enjoy your new ereader
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Laura. The problem is that Kindle works only in Mobi format. Libraries tend to lend in ePub and/or PDF. You can't legally convert a library book to another format because they carry a Digital Rights Management padlock. Kindle (I'll cause a riot here) has many drawbacks that other reading devices don't have, and too many red-herring bells and whistles. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
You can't legally convert a library book to another format because they carry a Digital Rights Management padlock.
This is not necessarily true.

I know library books are subject to different 'strings,' but I would feel pretty safe legally and morally if I broke the DRM but still deleted the file from my device (and library on the PC) after the loan period expired.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Mcsmith
Mcsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I have to agree with breaking the library book DRM thing. If you read and then delete the book after the given time limit I don't think it should be problem. I borrow and reborrow books from the library, hard copy and ebook, isn't that what a library is for? There are people who never return hard copy and I don't see too many of them in court.
Mcsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My library (BC) has quite a number of mobi books on it.
Haven't tried it but I would think they would work.
Ordered Kindle 3 yesterday so will know eventually
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
As discussed above, library ebooks can and are used on a Kindle providing you use easily found python scripts to circumvent the drm, and then use Calibre to change the ebook format to mobi. Many people do feel comfortable doing this, reading the book and then deleting it to honor the library policy of "loaning" ebooks.

Alas, the mobi format ebooks from the library also require manipulation to remove or adjust the drm so that the ebook be read on the Kindle. Even though Amazon ebooks are mobi, they are not quite the same as mobi library books.

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 09-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Kindle (I'll cause a riot here) has many drawbacks that other reading devices don't have, and too many red-herring bells and whistles. Best wishes. Neil
I think you're overstating the "too many drawbacks" based on your personal needs/wants for an ebook reader. If the Kindle had "too many drawbacks" it wouldn't be as popular as it is.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Most people buy a Sony as a second reader to access libraries ebooks.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Before anyone thinks of buying an ereader for library books, I'd advise them to do a good check of what library books they can get because some elibraries are really not great with what they offer. In my case the selection isn't great enough to be that bothered about right now. In many cases you may have to wait weeks to check out a book you really want to read. There are limitations that's all I'm saying.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
According to whom?
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
You'd have to go through a very large number of library book loans to warrant buying a second eBook reader just for that. If library books are important to you then you either buy a device like the Sony that supports it or use the workarounds available for the Kindle.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Or the Jetbook or Jetbook Lite and I suspect others.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
No matter how you slice it, it isn't EASY to get library books on a Kindle.

For the OP, check your local library. Is the collection decent? Do they carry Mobipocket along with ePub/PDF ?

If they carry Mobi, there are scripts that will set the Mobi so your Kindle can read it.
If they only carry ePub and PDF, you'll need scripts to strip the DRM and you'll need Calibre to convert ePub--> Mobi.

If your library has a good selection and short wait lists like mine, it might be worth it to buy the second reader off eBay that can read ePub. The Sony PRS-300, Cybook Opus, Aluratek and Jetbook models all sell for around $100 - that's only 10-12 library books.

I've read 52 library books since May, and I'm in the middle of 3 more. I've toyed with the idea of the Kindle 3 (until the new Sony's were announced), but I'll keep an ePub reader around no matter what I do in the future.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
No matter how you slice it, it isn't EASY to get library books on a Kindle.
Everything's relative. I find it quite easy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote