Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Great Series Recommendation

I want to recommend a trilogy that has just got published in electronic format.

The reason I specially picked this series is because:
1. I really liked it
2. It's very hard to get complete series as ebooks. (even though in this case each book can be read as standalone, which is even better, IMHO)
3. It's a good sign for the future . First the last book in the series, which just came out, was published; Then Random House took the trouble and published the first two books as ebook, even though they first came out in 1999 and 2002 respectively.
4. It's not yet available at Amazon Kindle store, but BoB has it. It's the first ebooks that I've seen that are available at BoB before Amazon.
5. Did I say that I really like it?

So without further ado:
1. Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover. Amazon. BoB.
2. Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover. Amazon. BoB.
3. Caine Black Knife by Matthew Woodring Stover. Amazon. BoB.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Although the books might be read a stand alone books, the series is unfinished and the writer said he will have to write something that will give him some bread before he returns to the series.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
The Caine series by M. Stover is one of the best dark sff series of all times but it is not for the squeamish or easily offended. I reviewed all 3 books for Robert at Fantasy Book Critic - some spoilers though - and the first two are a complete duology, independent of the rest and with a clear ending.

Book 3 picks up later and is half of a story with book 4 which is to be done completing it, but it is a good story in itself and for me and quite a few others it's the best fantasy release of 2008.

But the first page of Book 3 - Caine Black Knife says it all:

"The following has been rated X and UV for explicit sex, cannibalism, extreme violence, perversions..."

The quote is from memory since I am lazy now to get the actual quote, but it is accurate in spirit and the X and U(ltra)V(iolent) and most adjectives or synonyms are there...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Caine Black knife is available for Kindle. Not the first two, yet.

Typical.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I haven't yet read Caine Black Knife. I just bought Heroes Die from BoB and I'm going to reread it and Blade of Tyshalle before I'll read CBK.

I didn't know about the XUV rating, but I dare say it won't bother me much. The only book that I couldn't really finish because of excessive darkness, if I may call it such, was Empress by Karen Miller. And I don't know why that book set me off. Usually violence (in books) just slide off me, and while sex (in books), IMHO, is usually tasteless, it's no bother. What bothers me more is all those psychological thrillers about serial killers and psychopaths with insight into how their mind works. Can't read those books.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you like dark fantasy, then do not miss Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. It is excellent with lots of dark humor. It is also quite grim and violent.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/books.htm
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
If you like dark fantasy, then do not miss Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. It is excellent with lots of dark humor. It is also quite grim and violent.

As it happens Before They are Hanged which is book 2 of First Law has been my top fantasy of 2007

Last Argument of the Kings is a very good ending of the story, but it lacks the implied menace of earlier books, reverting to more straightforward battles, fights and such. Also it's a bit too sprawling, though that one on one duel for the North is awesome, cannot remember a better one in any sff book read. Still a pretty good novel and the series overall is my #1 finished fantasy series for now - if we count Caine as unfinished of course

Caine Black Knife is really a superb book, short as fantasies go at about 300 pages as opposed to the 6-800 pages of the first two, every word counts and here Caine is clearly center stage, though I sometimes miss the Hari persona.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post

And then again.................NOT available as an ebook.............
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look on the darknet.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Look on the darknet.
I found them there But for my books I try to stay as legal as I can.... I really would like to buy an official version

For my films though..........
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I found them there But for my books I try to stay as legal as I can.... I really would like to buy an official version

For my films though..........

I have all 3 books as hardback editions. The last one even signed

Now...when I decide to read the series, I will either buy them as LIT files or go to darknet.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Sounded interesting so went looking for it but was not able to find the books in mobipocket my favorite format. The books were by then on my wishlist at Fictionwise.

Yesterday I noticed that a mobipocket format selection had become available so I moved the books from my wishlist to my cart and purchased books 1 and 2 with micropay credits. Went to my bookshelf to download the books and recieved an error message saying that this retailer is not authorized to make this download.

Have written to fictionwise but have not yet received a reply. Cant say that I expected to it being Sunday evening and all. They have always been pretty good with queries in my experience.

Just curious about what this could be.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Fictionwise doesn't have them.
Here is a list of available writers:
Code:
# Shana Abe (Romance)
# Shana Abé
# Alicia Abell (Business)
# Barbara Abercrombie (Self Improvement)
# Iain Abernethy (Health/Fitness)
# Paul Ableman (Classic Literature)
No Joe Abercrombie in it.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
This is an old thread, but I'm so happy to find it because I love these books. I hope people don't mind, because I come bearing some new information:
The three currently published books (Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, and Caine Black Knife) are all available for Kindle and other formats, as well as easily available as a bundle . The next book in the series will be His Father's Fist, and is scheduled for release sometime this year. (The author has said that it's with an editor now.)

There is also a new project to continue the story in comic/graphic novel format, written by Stover. And yes, they are planning to release an electronic version. (I have no affiliation with this project other than being an excited fan.)

I've loved these books ever since I picked up the first one 10 years ago. They're dark fantasy in a dystopian future science fiction frame. There is a lot of violence, but it's balanced by a lot more interesting philosophical considerations than many dark fantasy books. They're books I recommend to anyone I know who enjoys this kind of thing, because they're some of the best and they don't get nearly enough credit. So I'm spreading the love. You deserve to read these.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you for reviving the thread, the books sound interesting, I'll have a look. The bundle you linked to is only available in the US, but on Kobo I found Heroes Die for a very reasonable price and apparently available for France. Maybe I'll try it. Though I have too many books on my TBR list already...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote