Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #31
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
Umm the Spanish voice is so so...
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #32
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

And it is not in Google Play... I guess I will give it a miss...
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #33
havi
havi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Afterglow 2
I just ordered my Onyx Boox Afterglow 2 this morning in Arta online shop. I hope I can have it soon at home and share my impressions in this forum.
By the way, I'm most interested too in having Spanish language as an option in Ivona TTS... and Arabic too, please Artatech play your cards with Onyx
havi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #34
Pierre89
Pierre89 began at the beginning.

Device: nono
Ok, a few impressions from playing with it.
Software is buggy or wrongly installed. I tried to install fbreader to find it already installed on the boox and in need of an upgraded. The upgrade is not working because the software installed has a wrong signature.
The screen shows a dark grey band (3mm wide)at the bottom of the screen.
So i am not impressed by it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1416628211416.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	131429  
Pierre89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #35
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre89 View Post
Ok, a few impressions from playing with it.
Software is buggy or wrongly installed. I tried to install fbreader to find it already installed on the boox and in need of an upgraded. The upgrade is not working because the software installed has a wrong signature.
The screen shows a dark grey band (3mm wide)at the bottom of the screen.
So i am not impressed by it now.
This is special version of FBReader. The one on Google Play is for tablets and smartphones with colorful displays only. So this is not a bug.
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #36
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I see that Banggood.com is offering the Onyx Boox C67 for $128 (US). It looks very much like the AfterGlow 2. Don't know how the firmwares compare, though.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #37
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I see that Banggood.com is offering the Onyx Boox C67 for $128 (US). It looks very much like the AfterGlow 2. Don't know how the firmwares compare, though.
Regular Chinese version without Google Play Store access and no IVONA TTS.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #38
zufre
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
Well, Spanish or French speakers got no Ivona with the Afterglow 2 either.
Regards.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which means that anyone who bought the Banggood version would have to root it and install Google Apps manually if they want Play Store, etc. Most users will appreciate having Play Store already installed, so they'll find the AfterGlow version well worth it. But - those who love to tinker with their devices (probably most people who'd be on a forum like this!) might find the Banggood version tempting. However, I don't know what Banggood customer service is like if there should be a problem. My experience with Arta Tech has been positive all along. All I needed was a little patience!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #40
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
However, I don't know what Banggood customer service is like if there should be a problem.
I know, don't have a problem with them. If you recive the unit and it's ok then superb. If the unit never reachs you, or you have a problem you're going to suffer.
And althought they have paypal, paypal doesn't guarantee the payment. And you don't see it till you are going to do the claim. When you pay, paypal don't give any advert.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #41
downeaster59
Wizard

I wonder if Arta Tech has any plans to offer the Boox D67 (which has Carta E-Ink display), or if there are plans to upgrade the T68 to Carta.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #42
pxpxpx
pxpxpx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
^ good quesiton.

@Pierre89 Could you share your impression about built-in light? Is it ok and equal on the whole surface? What about listening to audiobook in mp3 format? Can I plug headphones and the sound is good?
pxpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #43
panoramix
panoramix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One.
Brief Afterglow thoughts.

I've had my Afterglow2 for a couple of days now (Well done on quick delivery btw) and I'm mostly very happy with it. I use Scribd a lot and their reader works reasonably well (hardware buttons do not work uinfortunately) I am also able to use local library lending apps and norwegian e-book store ebok.no works very well using the built-in reader.

I've not yet tried the audio capabilities but I'll get around to it soon.

The backlight isn't too bad, although its slightly stronger along the edges but not distractingly so.

Now, for the really bad. Battery life with wireless on is HORRIBLY bad. I don't have numbers yet but I wouldn't trust it for anything more than an afternoon at the moment. Turning wireless off and using just the reader seems fine.
panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #44
ArtaTechPoland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoramix View Post
I've had my Afterglow2 for a couple of days now (Well done on quick delivery btw) and I'm mostly very happy with it. I use Scribd a lot and their reader works reasonably well (hardware buttons do not work uinfortunately) I am also able to use local library lending apps and norwegian e-book store ebok.no works very well using the built-in reader.

I've not yet tried the audio capabilities but I'll get around to it soon.

The backlight isn't too bad, although its slightly stronger along the edges but not distractingly so.

Now, for the really bad. Battery life with wireless on is HORRIBLY bad. I don't have numbers yet but I wouldn't trust it for anything more than an afternoon at the moment. Turning wireless off and using just the reader seems fine.
AfterGlow 2 provides up to 10,000 page turns. Actual battery life may vary and depends on usage and other factors.
It is possible to discharge a device after heavy usage in one day (wi-fi, apps, etc.).
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #45
panoramix
panoramix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One.
Quote:
AfterGlow 2 provides up to 10,000 page turns. Actual battery life may vary and depends on usage and other factors.
It is possible to discharge a device after heavy usage in one day (wi-fi, apps, etc.).
My experience is with just keeping wifi on while reading plus a couple of app installations. It might be for instance that the Scribd reading app syncs a lot if wifi is available. I'll test more later.

ETA: Thanks for replying.
panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote