Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermummy View Post
I installed it and since I have done this I cannot download books anymore?

I go to my amazon page, download to my pc, I can see them in the kindle app on my pc as they are downloading and as soon as the download is finished, the books disappear. They are not in the archive - nowhere. The number of total books jumps back to the number I had before tried the download.

I am less than impressed.
I was on 1.9.3 and with that version if I would purchase the book before I opened KforPC it would show the book and start downloading and then disappear. I would have to close the app and re-open it and then it would show up. If I had the app open first, all was fine.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I was on 1.9.3 and with that version if I would purchase the book before I opened KforPC it would show the book and start downloading and then disappear. I would have to close the app and re-open it and then it would show up. If I had the app open first, all was fine.

Carol
I had the same behavior since 1.4.3 I figure it's just the way the program runs.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
BTW. I tried to give you Karma but it said I have to spread it around before I can give you any more.
Intended karma spreads just as easily as the real stuff... and only has half the calories.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #34
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Intended karma spreads just as easily as the real stuff... and only has half the calories.
This is why I love reading your posts. I love your humor.

Carol
Old 06-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
You guys still think Amazon is going to steal your books alike a thief in the night.
It's happened before with Amazon. People have lost access to DRMed PDF ebooks that they bought from Amazon, when Amazon dropped the format when they bought Mobipocket.

It's happened with Fictionwise, when Overdrive pulled out, and left people without any way to re-download certain ebooks they'd bought in Mobipocket format.

It's happened with Smashwords, when authors have withdrawn their books to enter them in Amazon's exclusive deal system.

It happened with HarperCollins, when they closed their publisher-run ebook store.

And it's happened several other times, too.

It's not paranoia to be concerned that you might lose access to ebooks, when it's happen several times in the past, from multiple companies.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #36
babarous
Resident Lurker
babarous began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
...It happened with HarperCollins, when they closed their publisher-run ebook store.

It's not paranoia to be concerned that you might lose access to ebooks, when it's happen several times in the past, from multiple companies.
Which is why the first thing one ought to do on buying an ebook is liberate it from the drm.
babarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #37
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarous View Post
Which is why the first thing one ought to do on buying an ebook is liberate it from the drm.
AMEN!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
CyberRead and PaperbackDigital come to mind. Also B&N used to sell ebooks pre-nook and discontinued them around the same time Amazon did the first time IIRC.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #39
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarous View Post
Completely agreed. I buy most of my books from Amazon, use their reading apps and ereaders, but there's no way I'm not going to back up my growing ebook collection. You just don't know what the future holds.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or my device simply breaks and I decide to go with a different manufacturer for a new one... and have no desire to re-purchase all my books.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Or my device simply breaks and I decide to go with a different manufacturer for a new one... and have no desire to re-purchase all my books.
Well, yes, there is that, too!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #42
sadievan
Wizard

Anyone else having problems with the sort option in this version. Mine will not sort my most recent. Keeps sorting by title.

Carol
Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Anyone else having problems with the sort option in this version. Mine will not sort my most recent. Keeps sorting by title.

Carol
Mine will sort by most recent, but it is not accurate by any means. The first 3 or 4 recently viewed books are displayed in the correct order but after that the books seem to be randomly ordered.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've experienced sorting issues off and on with many of the different versions.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: in use kindle oasis 2nd and 3rd gen, kobo forma, boox poke5
Thought that "expiring soon" message was interesting.

I was using 1.9.3 but the only update at the time of the message was 1.9.3.38425. Problem with both versions of 1.9.3 is that I've recently (since the expiring soon message about a week ago) been getting "visual C++ runtime library" errors and K4PC crashing frequently.

Just opened kindle for pc and got the download message. Updating to 10.1 in hopes that crashing issue will resolve.

Hopefully amz will fix the problem of "most recent" only showing a date & time when you open the file to read, not when you download.

K4PC just crashed with a different runtime error and then crashed again with no error. Call to amazon support in my future.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote