Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
etzarfat
etzarfat began at the beginning.

Device: None
Can amazon check the contents on my kindle touch?

Hi,

I'm new to kindle, actually I got it only yesterday.
I was wondering whether amazon can delete/check the content on my kindle and if so can they delete it or block my kindle?
Thanks
etzarfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
People have endlessly analyzed the data traffic between a Kindle and Amazon's servers, and there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the contents of your Kindle are ever sent to Amazon.

Amazon can delete a book that you've bought from them (which they will do, for example, if you request a refund of your purchase), but that's an entirely different matter.

Why do you ask?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Library books will also be deleted when they expire, as well as loans from other Kindle owners.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Library books will also be deleted when they expire, as well as loans from other Kindle owners.
True, but that's a little different in that no external source is "telling" the Kindle to delete the book; there's an "expiry date" built into the book itself.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I see.
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by etzarfat View Post
Hi,

I'm new to kindle, actually I got it only yesterday.
I was wondering whether amazon can delete/check the content on my kindle and if so can they delete it or block my kindle?
Thanks
"Can" is a funny word here.
You have a peice of hardware designed by them, designed for communications with a network owned and operated by them, with every function controlled by software written by them, and which can be updated over the air by them.

"Can" amazon do those things? OF course they can! What's the matter with you!?!

DO they? WILL they? That's very different.

If you are really concerned, but insist on using the system described in my first paragraph above, you have two choices:
1. Disable the communication features, never use them, never update the software. That's proven pretty safe so far. People have looked for secret back doors and not found anything.
2. Don't do anything you need to worry about them finding out about.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
etzarfat
etzarfat began at the beginning.

Device: None
Asking because I was wondering what happens if I download books from websites and upload them to the amazon cloud or storing them on the kindle
If amazon can know about it?
etzarfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, they can.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Asking because I was wondering what happens if I download books from websites and upload them to the amazon cloud or storing them on the kindle
If you're saying "I download pirated books" then the answer is very simple: don't.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
On Amazon's cloud? You are asking if you send stuff to Amazon for them to store on their servers, can they know about it?
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well they can, but do they care? I buy tons of books from fictionwise.com, and get freebies lots of legit places. I don't hesitate to upload them to my kindle via amazon servers. I also take books from amazon, strip them and reformat them (if needed) and then send them up as a personal document. I am not worried about what they might think about it. If I was, I could load them via USB cable. If you are concerned about privacy, then do that. But honestly, how do they know where you got your books? Can they tell if you got it from fictionwise, baen, or your mother? No. They can't.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but that's a little different in that no external source is "telling" the Kindle to delete the book; there's an "expiry date" built into the book itself.
Actually, no... sometimes if I'm running a little late reading a book from the library I keep WiFi off and the book stays until the next time I turn on WiFi and sync.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
epubRay
epubRay doesn't litterepubRay doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
I personally choose not to buy ebooks from Amazon. Since I bought my Kindle at a store, it doesn't come pre-registered to any amazon account. I updated my software by downloading it on my computer from the amazon website and transferring it to my kindle. I have no interest in uploading anything to their cloud.

I believe this makes me as free as possible from them "knowing" what I have on my kindle. I like it this way.

Last edited by epubRay; 03-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
epubRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels
Actually, no... sometimes if I'm running a little late reading a book from the library I keep WiFi off and the book stays until the next time I turn on WiFi and sync.
Shhh!! We don't want more publishers going all "Penguin" on Kindle Library books if word gets out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by epubRay View Post
I believe this makes me as free as possible from them "knowing" what I have on my kindle. I like it this way.
I think there are plenty of more considerable 'big brother' issues to be concerned about than the possibility of Amazon caring about what books you have on your Kindle.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote