Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
10 Free eBooks from Books on Board

Books on Board has 10 free eBooks (different formats, all with drm ePub, mobipocket, PDF), and I'm not sure about geo-restriction.

A Deadly Deception by JP Bowie (Mystery/GBLT)
Mountain Mystery, Fairfax Miasma by Robert L Skidmore (Mystery)
Dormant Enhancement by Jack Richards (SciFi/ FutureFic)
The Cosmic Cancer by David Louis Sussman (NonFiction)
The Primordial Flame by Christopher L. Anderson (Fantasy)
Scaedrein Infiltration (Scaedein Series #1) by Puppet (SciFi)
The Fourth Finger by Latifat Balogun (Women's Fiction)
Cleats of the Counter Revolution by Christ Kennedy (Historical)
Tongue Tied (Donald Strachey Mystery #08) by Richard Stevenson (Mystery/GBLT)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Books on Board has 10 free eBooks (different formats, all with drm ePub, mobipocket, PDF), and I'm not sure about geo-restriction.

A Deadly Deception by JP Bowie (Mystery/GBLT)
Mountain Mystery, Fairfax Miasma by Robert L Skidmore (Mystery)
Dormant Enhancement by Jack Richards (SciFi/ FutureFic)
The Cosmic Cancer by David Louis Sussman (NonFiction)
The Primordial Flame by Christopher L. Anderson (Fantasy)
Scaedrein Infiltration (Scaedein Series #1) by Puppet (SciFi)
The Fourth Finger by Latifat Balogun (Women's Fiction)
Cleats of the Counter Revolution by Christ Kennedy (Historical)
Tongue Tied (Donald Strachey Mystery #08) by Richard Stevenson (Mystery/GBLT)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Thank you for that! Although, not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth, to be honest there is nothing there that looks worth reading, except The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes of course, and that's available free anyway.

I really don't want to sound ungrateful, because I look for freebies on this site every day, and I have picked up some really good stuff here!
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Some of it is from iUniverse and a few looked a bit small as far as file size. I've not heard of any of them other than the Sherlock Holmes (but did the get the email from Bob promoting it). No worse than the Sony bargains page that now has started adding Smashwords titles in an attempt to appear fresh (and theirs is edited by hand, it isn't just a search). At least it isn't individual short stories being sold at a buck apiece, when there is also a collection available (which is generally a better deal, even at the overpriced $10 or so some thing they are worth as ebooks).

BoB is in a hard spot, since they don't have the deep pockets to compete on the freebies, they gutted their rewards system in order to get the agency publishers back (and frankly, why would anyone buy from them versus a larger and hopefully more stable company, if the price is the same at every store). The only thing differentiating the stores for the Agency publishers is how they handle returns (banned, except at Amazon, pretty much across the board) and replacements (which, if they do get them, works more gracefully at other places -- if Amazon had a flag you could check off in the management screen to release the old version of a book and get the current one, they would stop a great number of their support calls and one of my biggest issues with them). The big distinction now is how these guys handle your library -- and I've had books disappear from BoB (not all of them came back, either), Sony and others, including Amazon (here, the Agency publishers have caused problems by loading a new book under the old ASIN; although I still have the old book, the title shows the new book from the product page and it can be impossible to find the one I want, for a few titles). I suspect the few people that I've seen complain on Amazon of missing books are suffering from the same issue; the book is there, but now has a new title and author in the library (as if someone wrapped a new slipcover around it).

With any small ebookstore, you are paying premium prices, but have a much shakier foundation -- if that store is gone, so is your library (which is another reason to always make backups, even if your choice of stores tends towards the larger companies).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm interested but the bookstore is confusing. I don't want to buy audio books but there seems to be no option to filter them out. Am I missing something?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm interested but the bookstore is confusing. I don't want to buy audio books but there seems to be no option to filter them out. Am I missing something?
Not sure what you are seeing, but I see a menu along the left side that lets me pick an eBook category, or there is a menu bar that lets me choose to browse eBooks by 3 general categories.

Although, if you just do a search by title or author or such, you are right you get ebooks and audio.

Used to be an "Under $5" category, but I suppose they had to get rid of that due to the Agency nonsense.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
smg927
Enthusiast
smg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the roughsmg927 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Jetbook
I've never ordered from Book on Board, so downloaded one of these just to try it. The book I downloaded (first in list) was in epub format but did not have DRM. I don't know about any of the others.
smg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
BooksOnBoard was my favorite store back in the good ol' days(12-24 months ago ) before the agency stupidity started. Now there's no benefit for me to shop there so I just buy from the local Borders AU ebookstore which is probably what the publishers want
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
BooksOnBoard was my favorite store back in the good ol' days(12-24 months ago ) before the agency stupidity started. Now there's no benefit for me to shop there so I just buy from the local Borders AU ebookstore which is probably what the publishers want
No doubt. And I'd buy from Borders AU, but can't figure out how from here in the US (although I have ordered physical movies from the AU, I'd like to get ebooks as well, as some simply aren't in the stores here or the AU store has better sales).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free ebook