Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Scratch protection

Have any of you had problems scratching the screen from throwing the reader in a bag etc?

Just wondering if some scratch protection will be necessary or not.

If so I'm gonna buy this:
http://www.shieldzone.com/item_descr...SONPRS500.html

I've used this shield stuff before (on my blackberry pearl, ipod, etc) It is almost scratch proof, and even if it does get scratched, you can just peel it off, send it in, and they send you another one free, forever. You can take a key and rub the screen, no marks, I love it.

I have no affiliation with em, just a satisfied customer.

But maybe it is not necessary?

Thanks everyone, this is a fantastic forum!
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've got one nick in my screen from a too close encounter with a metal ruler, totally my fault.

I haven't had any real concerns about scratches on mine with the covers.

I love that invisible shield stuff (recently put it on my Trēo) but I think it's probably too smooth for the Reader display for my tastes -- I'm concerned about glare and reflections, I mean.

I do think that the display makers ought to get clever and have the displays coated with that stuff at the factory, with a proper non-glare finish, it'd be awesome!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Wow, now that's impressive! I've always been one for never jumping on the whole worrying about scratching my screen gig; after all, I've had my iPaq PDA for 4+ years now and not a scratch. However, recently I picked up an iPod Video and started to think about how easily Apple products tend to scratch (probably some marketing ploy to get you to buy more products), I say this because I've had my 4G iPod for just a little less and it's body is marked all up. Anyway, I decided it best to pick up a screen protector for the iPod Video and was surprised to see I was only getting a single protective screen. I though "Yo, what the heck gives here! It's like $6 for this little thing? It's gonna suck when I have to get a new one." Same thing happened for the OQO I picked up recently (fortunately, there was an extra supplied), yet these babies cost $20 a piece... and that's off of eBay!

I'm sure it's all worth it, but man they sure are sticking us for a little piece of plastic film. Of course the alternative is the off-chance you actually mess up your $200+ device, and that would totally suck!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you take a look at the vids that invisibleshield has posted, Azayzel? Impressive stuff. I about lost it when they put the ipod in a box full of nuts and bolts and shook it up.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Did you take a look at the vids that invisibleshield has posted, Azayzel? Impressive stuff. I about lost it when they put the ipod in a box full of nuts and bolts and shook it up.
Doh! I'll definitely check them out, sounds impressive and well worth while.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hysterical, I see that the context appropriate ads thingy has slipped in an ad for Invisible Shield on this page.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like the pen test and the stretch test. That's what I find impressive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
anathema
Enthusiast

Yeah its amazing stuff, not just plastic film. You can beat the crap out of it and wont get any scratches. The shield itself can scratch reluctantly but much less easily than the device itself and you just peel it off, send it in, and they send you a new one for free. Lifetime goodness! And once its on it really is near invisible, its great.

Hm, my whole question seems to have turned into an ad for Invisibleshield

Yeah I'm curious about glare as well. A friend of mine has some extra maybe ill just stick a piece down in the centre and see if i get less or more glare than the surrounding screen when using a book light.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Yeah its amazing stuff, not just plastic film. You can beat the crap out of it and wont get any scratches. The shield itself can scratch reluctantly but much less easily than the device itself and you just peel it off, send it in, and they send you a new one for free. Lifetime goodness! And once its on it really is near invisible, its great.

Hm, my whole question seems to have turned into an ad for Invisibleshield

Yeah I'm curious about glare as well. A friend of mine has some extra maybe ill just stick a piece down in the centre and see if i get less or more glare than the surrounding screen when using a book light.
I'd love to know the answer to the glare.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Tis stuff is great, but I'd recommend getting it from bestskinsever.com. Same stuff, *much* cheaper. Even if you buy 2 or 3 from BSE instead of the "lifetime" guarantee from InvisibleShield. BSE also sells larger pieces that you can cut to fit.

I have this on my BB Pearl, 10 months now, no glare and no scratches or peeling. Not sure how glare might affect a non-backlit screen though.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #11
anathema
Enthusiast

Hm yeah seems like the same stuff and is quite a bit cheaper, at least for the full body ones. I will still be getting my BB Pearl one from 'shieldzone' because it covers quite a bit more. (the sides, etc)

The only other thing I have to add I guess is that shieldzone has one specifically for the reader, while that other site does not. Seems like a sweet link tho thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

They do? They didn't as of the first of August when I ordered the ones for our Palms. I'll have to have another look at their site.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #13
anathema
Enthusiast

Linky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
They do? They didn't as of the first of August when I ordered the ones for our Palms. I'll have to have another look at their site.
Yep, see my original link.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yes, I see now. You linked directly to it in the first place didn't you? Very sensible of you.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
anathema
Enthusiast

Haha, my reader is still in the mail but ill reply back here once I find out if it is more or less of a "glaring" issue..haw haw.