Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
You know, I'm nerdy enough that I'll probably be getting a skin, anyway.

The device itself is made by RIM, this is at the bottom of the koboreader.com FAQ:
BlackBerry®, RIM®, Research In Motion®, SureType®, SurePress™ and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. Used under license from Research In Motion Limited.
That is a misinterpretation of this statement. It is to identify that they talk about the BlackBerry on some of their pages. This eReader is not made by RIM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #47
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is a misinterpretation of this statement. It is to identify that they talk about the BlackBerry on some of their pages. This eReader is not made by RIM.

Dale
I'm quite positive that it's not made by Netronix, either.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #48
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Things I noticed while adding this to the E-book Reader Matrix:
  • No audio
  • No folders
  • No dictionary
  • Only Epub and PDF
  • Sync to Kobo (via USB?) for reading on multiple devices
Some of these are implied by their absence from the description on the web (and so might be there after all). There is no uses listed for BlueTooth, so perhaps it can be used for syncing.
That kind of kills the product for me. I do want it to play audio.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #49
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I'm quite positive that it's not made by Netronix, either.
I'm quite curious as to why you are positive is not made by Netronix. I have an E-Slick and a Gen3, and the layout of all the keys, USB port and SD port are all identical among the three.

It does have a new case which looks better (IMO) and feels sturdier (aluminum reinforced), but it won't be as easy to open up to look at the circuit board - the real evidence one way or the other.

The software uses ADE, but is otherwise different from any other Netronix-built device, AFAIK. That seems to be a KOBO effort.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #50
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I'm quite curious as to why you are positive is not made by Netronix. I have an E-Slick and a Gen3, and the layout of all the keys, USB port and SD port are all identical among the three.

It does have a new case which looks better (IMO) and feels sturdier (aluminum reinforced), but it won't be as easy to open up to look at the circuit board - the real evidence one way or the other.

The software uses ADE, but is otherwise different from any other Netronix-built device, AFAIK. That seems to be a KOBO effort.
Agree. It looks like Netronix with different body..
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #51
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The d-pad is too low on the device for me to have my thumb on it when holding the device with one hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
You know, I kinda have to agree with that. I had to learn how to hold it and still can't hold it in one hand too long.
Though I don't see how that can be avoided, unless you make the non-screen area even larger?
That is more or less what all the other designs have done, yes. Either the page turn buttons are up next to the screen, or there is an extra inch or so of space below the screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #52
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
At CDN$149 I might be interested, as a current Kindle 2 owner, but as a supplement to and not a replacement for the Kindle. The Kobo's lack of a dictionary is a huge problem -- I am coming to really value that as I get using it. It might be helpful for library access -- currently tied to ePub. But if the Kindle -- or any device for that matter -- comes out supporting BOTH DRM'd ePub and Mobi, well, who needs a second device?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #53
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
I also found out that presale begins March 30, for Canada at least.
Did they mention if the pre-order would be through Kobo's site or through Indigo's?

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #54
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

Dale
You're half right, it was a misinterpretation of that particular statement, however it doesn't change the fact that the first leaked picture at the Association of Canadian Publishers meeting with Michael Serbinis distinctly showed an ereader with a RIM logo on it.

I think the preorder is through Indigo. Guess we'll find out tomorrow?
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
You're half right, it was a misinterpretation of that particular statement, however it doesn't change the fact that the first leaked picture at the Association of Canadian Publishers meeting with Michael Serbinis distinctly showed an ereader with a RIM logo on it.

I think the preorder is through Indigo. Guess we'll find out tomorrow?
I didn't see that leaked picture. However it would be really big news if RIM got an license from e Ink directly to make readers and set up a full manufacturing facility for e INK devices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #56
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I didn't see that leaked picture. However it would be really big news if RIM got an license from e Ink directly to make readers and set up a full manufacturing facility for e INK devices.
For sure. Tamblyn is quoted as saying they're "not sure if they'll every go public" The picture wasn't leaked online, but a room full of people, including my director, saw the proto-type pic. Unless it's a giant red-herring, which would be pretty weird.

Sorry I sounded a bit snotty in that last post! Wrote quickly.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #57
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just pre-ordered my Kobo reader from chapters.ca. Ships May 1st (correction, ships in May). Total cost with tax $168cdn.

Last edited by Duiker; 03-30-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Just pre-ordered my Kobo reader from chapters.ca. Ships May 1st (correction, ships in May). Total cost with tax $168cdn.
I bite... Where on Chapters.ca do I find this to preorder one ?

AH Never Mind... found it http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo/kobo-promo.html

Last edited by PeterT; 03-30-2010 at 11:14 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #59
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
It's right on the front page, but here is a direct link:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kobo/kobo-promo.html

January
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #60
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ah.. I now see why I could not see it.. I have a tool called AdMuncher installed, and it blocked that as an advertisment!

One useful tip; through Facebook you can find a $5.00 off coupon. Enter the word "Save5" during checkout.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote