Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
Amazon No Longer Selling US Only Kindle

Logged onto Amazon today and saw this. Sorry if this was reported already:

A Newer Kindle is Now Available
Due to strong customer demand for the newest Kindle, we are consolidating our family of 6" Kindles. The new Kindle has 3G wireless that works in the United States and also globally in over 100 countries. We will continue to fully support Whispernet for all U.S.-only Kindles. You can buy used and refurbished versions of the U.S.-only Kindle on this page.

I know they say they will continue to support. Let's see if the firmware updates will continue.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
...been that way for about two months...(maybe longer)
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The only difference between the US and Global edition was that early US Kindles used Sprint's CDMA network and the later model used AT&T's 3G HSPA network. Since CDMA is really only still popular in the US -- it's even being phased out in Canada -- this is good business. For Kindle users, the network is completely transparent -- so no impact at all.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Whew, had me worried I ordered a few on the 9th and thought I might have gotten the US only versions...but they shipped the global flavor so it is all good. Makes sense to only support one flavor, though they have all the legacy devices to deal with.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
duh ........................
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
I would not worry about legacy devices issue. CDMA works now and future updates really would not be affecting that unless they are tweaking it for battery issues which I guess the non-global Kindle 2's might then miss out on.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post
I would not worry about legacy devices issue. CDMA works now and future updates really would not be affecting that unless they are tweaking it for battery issues which I guess the non-global Kindle 2's might then miss out on.
Presumably, though, at some point, then either the obsolete CDMA networks are going to be taken out of service, to free up the bandwidth for other purposes, just as, in the UK at least, the old analogue cellphone networks were taken out of service some years ago. or, when the number of "old" Kindles falls below some critical level, Amazon will cancel their contract with Sprint (just as, for example, Palm pulled the wireless service that was used by the Palm VII). At that point, then obviously the wireless delivery on "old" Kindles will stop working.

But I suspect that any such actions will be several years down the road.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably, though, at some point, then either the obsolete CDMA networks are going to be taken out of service, to free up the bandwidth for other purposes, just as, in the UK at least, the old analogue cellphone networks were taken out of service some years ago. or, when the number of "old" Kindles falls below some critical level, Amazon will cancel their contract with Sprint (just as, for example, Palm pulled the wireless service that was used by the Palm VII). At that point, then obviously the wireless delivery on "old" Kindles will stop working.

But I suspect that any such actions will be several years down the road.
You, my friend, are seriously full of bs...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You really think that Amazon will carry on their Sprint contract, even when there's only a handful of CDMA Kindles left in, say, 10 years time? Sorry, but I can't see that happening, personally. There will come a point at which it will uneconomic to maintain the service.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
You really think that Amazon will carry on their Sprint contract, even when there's only a handful of CDMA Kindles left in, say, 10 years time? Sorry, but I can't see that happening, personally. There will come a point at which it will uneconomic to maintain the service.
Since you are from the UK, you might not understand. The #1 (verizon) and #3 (sprint) cell carriers are CDMA, and they are not going away, or becoming "obsolete" as you put it. There will be movement to 4G in the next few years, but 3G and 1X will not just "go away", it will still be there.

10 years is a lifetime in world of electronic devices though, it may just be that no one will even want to use a Kindle 1 then, and if they do, they can just hook up the old usb like everyone else does. It's a given that the ereader market is going to evolve and go thru some drastic changes in the next few years, but I think you are being premature in writing off these devices now. They are actually very useful, and will probably remain so as long as they can pump the electrons, so to speak.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I think you are being premature in writing off these devices now. They are actually very useful, and will probably remain so as long as they can pump the electrons, so to speak.
I'm certainly not writing them off, now! If you look at my earlier post, you'll see that I said that any change likely to affect them would be years away. Thank you for the information about the "size" of the CDMA networks; I had been under the (obviously mistaken) impression that GSM (and later generations of it) technology was dominating the US market now, as it is elsewhere.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
Quote:
I'm certainly not writing them off, now! If you look at my earlier post, you'll see that I said that any change likely to affect them would be years away. Thank you for the information about the "size" of the CDMA networks; I had been under the (obviously mistaken) impression that GSM (and later generations of it) technology was dominating the US market now, as it is elsewhere.
By the age of 4G networks yeah it will dominate as Verizon is switching. Personally I think sprint might die before that contract would have to expire. Ok that might not be true but I do not think it will happen for awhile since Sprint is probably the worst at upgrading their networking... if you can call what they own a network its more like a bunch of blotches.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
CDMA technology is "on its way out" for sure ... but it won't disappear in the US during the "useful life" of US Kindles. There are hundreds of millions of CDMA handsets in use and they continue to be made and marketed. Yes, there is a shift away; but it will be gradual and hasn't really begun yet in earnest. Since Amazon has already discontinued CDMA Kindles, anyone who owns one -- even brand new -- has no need to worry about getting full value within the US.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote