Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Kindle HDX 7 everything is so easy.

I've had my HDX7 for 6 days now and I just have to everything on the HDX is so easy. I already knew I liked the Fires as I already have a HD6 (passed to hubby now) but I needed more storage so I took the plunge and bought a 64GB HDX7. I absolutely love it. Everything works seamlessly and I've hardly any blue edge, in fact I never notice it at all.

I had issues with the android Facebook app but I have no problems at all on the HDX. I've sideload Dropbox, Sky +, Kobo, Moonreader Pro and Firefox. I've sorted my audiobooks into collections, added music, watched prime, read books, synced my Laptop bookmarks, added bluetooth speakers, tested personal hotspot with my iPhone, and everything just works perfectly, first time.

I can't ever imagine being without a Kindle Fire again and one things for sure I'll never buy a 16GB again. I like having much of my content on the device not in the cloud.

Ohh and I got two Amazon origami cases, a pink and a purple for less than £23.

I'm just really happy and had to share.

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-28-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Now that I've used my "el-cheapo" (8 GB) HD 6 for about 2 weeks, I can understand your sentiments a little better. I've been copying excerpts from a book, copying them to Evernote and then pasting them into a blog that I'm setting up. Talk about convenient. And then -- when I read the blog on the Fire in Silk, I notice a "Reading View" button, which just pulls out the article (similar to Send to Kindle) and I can read the blog as if it were a Kindle document, even change the fonts, fonts sizes, margins page theme, etc. Amazon does a good job of taking into account that it is a reader who is using their Fire. I'm impressed.

That said, I never thought I would be interested in an HDX, but if they decided to come out with a 6" version, I would seriously consider getting one. But, for me, a 7" tablet is a bigger device than what I want to carry. The 6" version has spoiled me.

BTW, I'm enjoying your happiness. I'm glad you got the HDX.

I should mention, there are two things I don't like about the Fire. The Carousel, especially the inability to configure it (I'm coping), and ads. For some reason the "special offers" seem more obnoxious in color. I'm seriously considering paying the $15 to shut them off. If I do, do I go directly back to my book when I open my case's cover and the HD 6 turns on? Oh, and I should also mention, I've gotten used to the Fintie Cover and I like it. Really good quality for the price.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-01-2015 at 02:45 AM. Reason: More errors than imaginable. I'm not sure I've gotten them all yet!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:07 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been using Firefox and not silk on my HDX (doesn't seem to work as well on the HD) but I like the sound of the reading view though. I use pocket and Feedly for blogs. I also really like Flipboard now as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I just got a £40 refund as they've reduced the price today to £149. I've had mine a week and paid £189. They did a price adjustment
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

That said, I never thought I would be interested in an HDX, but if they decided to come out with a 6" version, I would seriously consider getting one. But, for me, a 7" tablet is a bigger device than what I want to carry. The 6" version has spoiled me.
This is how I feel. I would love a faster HD 6". Sometimes mine freezes up. But the size is awesome! A 6" HDX, a bit thinner, would be sweet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

My view is they didn't bring out a new HDX 7 last year as they had too many to shift from the previous year, and maybe they were testing sizes by releasing a 6 and a 7HD. They are clearly trying to shift stock now especially as the cases are disappearing now on Amazon. It will certainly be interesting to see what they release this year.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Wow $219 for the 64 GB HDX 7 in the US is a great price.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Wow $219 for the 64 GB HDX 7 in the US is a great price.

I've had mine for a little over a month and I use it every single day. I returned my buggy ASUS ME572c, and I do not regret it at all. I only have the blue edge on one side and it is not an issue for me. I also prefer the ratio of the screen. The silk browser works way better for me on the HDX than it did on the HD6.(not sure why) I found an ebay seller that has the pink otterbox for HDX at less than half of the normal price, so that's what I am currently using for protection.

I had to share my joy too!
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I found an ebay seller that has the pink otterbox for HDX at less than half of the normal price, so that's what I am currently using for protection.
Pink

That's one way to prevent guys from borrowing it

I went with the manly black OtterBox for my HDX 8.9 v1
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Pink is my brother's signature color, just saying. He guards prisoners in court for a living, volunteers with emergency services and is six foot five. Still pretty manly.

I will now stop posting off topic and return to my silent device envy.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I had issues with the android Facebook app but I have no problems at all on the HDX. I've sideload Dropbox, Sky +, Kobo, Moonreader Pro and Firefox. I've sorted my audiobooks into collections, added music, watched prime, read books, synced my Laptop bookmarks, added bluetooth speakers, tested personal hotspot with my iPhone, and everything just works perfectly, first time.

I'm just really happy and had to share.
Do you actually have to side-load Dropbox? Its available directly from Amazon Appstore in the US (since about when the Fire Phone shipped).

I would miss having a rear-facing camera, useful for capturing handwritten notes etc. Not to mention FireFly.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do you actually have to side-load Dropbox? Its available directly from Amazon Appstore in the US (since about when the Fire Phone shipped).

I would miss having a rear-facing camera, useful for capturing handwritten notes etc. Not to mention FireFly.
It's not in the UK store at all
Old 03-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not in the UK store at all
It was always in the US store, but could not be 'purchased' for Fire tablets until about the middle of last year.

I would be happier with my Fire if they didn't arbitrarily embargo reading apps, third party browsers and the like under the guise of 'incompatibility'. I'm a bit surprised they haven't been sued by app publishers over this. I'm sure at least some of them assumed Fire tablets would have access to their apps, as Fire owners must comprise the majority of customers for Amazon Appstore.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:18 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It was always in the US store, but could not be 'purchased' for Fire tablets until about the middle of last year.

I would be happier with my Fire if they didn't arbitrarily embargo reading apps, third party browsers and the like under the guise of 'incompatibility'. I'm a bit surprised they haven't been sued by app publishers over this. I'm sure at least some of them assumed Fire tablets would have access to their apps, as Fire owners must comprise the majority of customers for Amazon Appstore.
I have an android device which has all the apps I need, I simply back up the apk on that device using Cleanmaster then send it to the Fire using ES File Explorer, then install. I have Moon Reader Pro on mine. I've only had to do that for about 10 apps. Unfortunately it doesn't work for any apps that offer a subscription service like most news apps does as they need Google Play.

I've also got access to my Google Drive through Office Pro so tbh there's not much I'm missing now.

I also downloaded a beta version of Firefox which I've synced with my laptop, that works perfectly as my main browser. I downloaded that direct from the Morzlla site via the silk browser.

The real test will be when I go on holiday as then I'll only take my iPhone and the HDX I'm leaving my large ipad at home.

Last edited by Josieb1; 03-06-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have an android device which has all the apps I need, I simply back up the apk on that device using Cleanmaster then send it to the Fire using ES File Explorer, then install. I have Moon Reader Pro on mine. I've only had to do that for about 10 apps. Unfortunately it doesn't work for any apps that offer a subscription service like most news apps does as they need Google Play.

I've also got access to my Google Drive through Office Pro so tbh there's not much I'm missing now.

I also downloaded a beta version of Firefox which I've synced with my laptop, that works perfectly as my main browser. I downloaded that direct from the Morzlla site via the silk browser.

The real test will be when I go on holiday as then I'll only take my iPhone and the HDX I'm leaving my large ipad at home.
My point was specifically about apps in the Amazon Appstore that are available only to non-Fire devices even when they are demonstrably compatible with Fires. Amazon basically lies to its own customers by stating that they are 'not compatible.' Maybe there is something in the T&Cs that says Amazon gets to arbitrarily decide which apps they'll let you have and not tell you they've done this, but I doubt it. Mind you, I am talking about probably less than a dozen apps (that I know of) out of many thousands, so one has to keep it in perspective.

One of the joys of Android is that you can sideload apps from anywhere, but its not something I do a lot of (I used to do it a lot more). If the Fire were my only device I would definitely do more of it, but as it is, it only has to serve as an Amazon media consumption device. I've side-loaded a couple of apps, but never use them.

My smartphone and iPad are tasked with other things, and to the extent I buy and use fancy apps, those are my devices of choice.