Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
Restore the text justification menu toggle without a hack

There is a hidden menu item in the font menu [aA] of all Kindles that toggles between left and full text justification. This menu item can be enabled and set from the default "full" to "left" so that most properly formatted Kindle ebooks can be read with a ragged right margin.

There is an old thread in the developers section that details how to do this on the Kindle DX using the usbnetworking hack. The instructions that follow detail editing a simple text file in the user mounted section of the Kindle and restarting. No hack installation required. Much simpler.

These instructions have been tested on a Kindle 3 but should work with all versions of the Kindle.

Turn on your Kindle and press the Home button (these instructions won't work if you mount your Kindle while in a book)

Plug in your USB cable so that the Kindle mounts the user section

Edit the file system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref in a UNIX end-of-line aware editor. The system folder is at the same folder level as the documents folder. There is a good discussion on how Windows users can edit this file in the thread "Changing the reader font without a hack" by NiLuJe. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99355

Add the following line to the end of the reader.pref file:

Code:
ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE=true
Eject your Kindle

From the home screen, restart your Kindle by using the following sequence of menu items:

Home, Menu, Settings, Menu, Restart

Done! You can now press the font button [aA] and you will see a menu item called "Justification" with options of "left" or "full". This change is persistent. You can modify any other font menu item and the justification should remain set.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Thank you I just set this one and it works.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FYI, full default reader settings switches from fw 3.x:

ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE = false
ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW = false
ALLOW_ARTICLE_THUMBNAIL = false
ALLOW_READING_INDICATOR = true
ALLOW_USER_FONT = false
ALLOW_USER_LINE_SPACING = false

Haven't actually tried anything except font.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
What text editor would you Unix aware types recommend for a Windows user? I found one called vi on the net, does that sound serviceable?

Thanks.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
editpad lite.
http://www.editpadlite.com/
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FYI, full default reader settings switches from fw 3.x:

ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE = false
ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW = false
ALLOW_ARTICLE_THUMBNAIL = false
ALLOW_READING_INDICATOR = true
ALLOW_USER_FONT = false
ALLOW_USER_LINE_SPACING = false

Haven't actually tried anything except font.
Wow, that's quite a few things disabled. Does User_Font do what I think it does?
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Dwayne_Matheson You might want to avoid vim/emacs (... and, dear trolls, ready, set, GO! ) on Windows unless you really know what you're getting into .

Notepad++ should be okay, as is UltraEdit (if that thing still exists), and pretty much every 'programming oriented' text editor .

@ChaoZ: Yes, it does .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-22-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

@cvkemp Thanks, I'll try that one.

@NiLuJe I wasn't aware that I could start a flamewar with an editor question I am a fairly literate user, I read before I jump, so I did note that the UI was very different with vi. But I'll grab cvkemp's recommended or Notepad++ once I read over the instructions.

Thanks to you both.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, the vi/emacs feud just might be one of the oldest thing in history...

EDIT: Sigh.

But now that we're there, I'll leave you with this...

Code:
grep EDITOR ~/.zshrc                                                                                                                                                                              
export EDITOR=vim
:P

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Kitard
Kitard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
Works on DX Graphite (International).
Kitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Matheson View Post
What text editor would you Unix aware types recommend for a Windows user? I found one called vi on the net, does that sound serviceable?

Thanks.
I'll chime in a give a vote for vim. As NiLuJe noted, there is a steep learning curve. Anyone interested in testing the vim waters slowly, could start out with cream. Cream is an extension to vim that makes vim more accessible but the real power of vim comes when you learn how to drive it with the keyboard.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ALLOW_USER_LINE_SPACING adds an option to the Aa menu to change line spacing. You can chose between small, medium, and large. The default is medium

I can't figure out what ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW does

I'm currently restarting so I can try ALLOW_ARTICLE_THUMBNAIL

*Edit - ignore the Kindle rookie - the line spacing menu was there before

Last edited by a_str8; 09-22-2010 at 11:13 PM.
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_str8 View Post
ALLOW_USER_LINE_SPACING adds an option to the Aa menu to change line spacing. You can chose between small, medium, and large. The default is medium
Isn't that one on by default? My K3 has allowed this since I unboxed it.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
Isn't that one on by default? My K3 has allowed this since I unboxed it.
Oops, looks like you're right. I guess I just didn't notice the setting before. I just got my Kindle yesterday
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Outstanding! Works like a charm. I'll sure be interested to find out what those others do.

BTW, ALLOW_USER_FONT does exactly what you are thinking. NiLuJe, bless his dedicated soul, posted a thread yesterday on how to use it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99355

Also, if I had to guess, I'd bet that the two-column view would only be an option if the display were rotated to landscape mode.

Last edited by EldRick; 09-24-2010 at 02:10 AM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks