Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
sn0fl8k3
sn0fl8k3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Question- Hypens (dashes) insterted between words?

Ok i'm a complete newbie to the forum but i've been using Calibre forever... I've never really had any problems i couldn't look up but i can't seem to figure this one out.
When i've converted just 2 certian books from .lit format to .mobi so i can read it on my kindle, a lot of the words have dashes insterted between them. It's readable but complete annoying when trying to read.
I've converted pleanty of other books from .lit format and never have this issue. I just use the defualt settings when i convert.
Can someone help me out?
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt README.txt (863 Bytes, 224 views)

Last edited by sn0fl8k3; 12-27-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: attached txt
sn0fl8k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hard to say with looking at the lit files.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I'm betting on soft-hyphens.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
sn0fl8k3
sn0fl8k3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post

m a r
what do you mean?
sn0fl8k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
zip up and attch the input sub directory not the readme.txt file
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
fastesthamster
fastesthamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post

m a r
I am having a similar issue going from ePub -> mobi. It seems that soft hyphens are the issue, but how do I fix it?
fastesthamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Try a global search-and-replace for the soft-hyphen in the source file.

Edit: I tried to give you the codes, but the forum software won't let me display it.

m a r

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 12-28-2009 at 07:04 AM.
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
Hello,
i've a similar problem.
i've digitalized a book of mines (it's the first time! ) and edited it, deleting all the hyphens that in the paper book divided words at the end of lines, than i've saved it as rtf and imported to my Calibre library.
then i've converted it (with Calibre) to fb2 and all the hyphens have magically reappeared! the same happens if i convert the .rtf to .prc but not if I convert it to .epub
which is the problem? do you have any advice? i'd like to have it in fb2 or prc/mobi...

another issue i could not solve is about the footnotes. they are correctly viewed in the original rtf document but they are lost in the conversion. how could i manage this problem?

thank you in advance

best regards
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
hyphenation is 'normal' , why do you want to remove it ?

Do you have justification switched on or off, on your reader ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
hyphenation is 'normal' , why do you want to remove it ?

Do you have justification switched on or off, on your reader ?
Hello,
thank you for your answer
I've deleted the hyphens in the .rtf document, because the layout changed, so these words are not anymore at the end of the lines. And in my fb2 file the hyphens appear in words that are in the middle of the lines.
Pls note that i haven't passed my ebook to the reader yet. I'm seeing it in the Calibre's viewer.

Best regards
Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You must have a setting in calibre such that it has defined the width of your page and hence the hyphenation has returned.

It's beyond me, I'm afraid it's not something I've had to worry about ....

One of the experts will be along in due course .... stay patient !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Brandobras
Zealot

Hello,
i had another try, and now the hyphens've disappeared in the .fb2 if i open it with the Calibre internal viewer, but are still visible if I open it with fbreader....
all this begins to scare me :-)

best regards
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandobras View Post
Hello,
i had another try, and now the hyphens've disappeared in the .fb2 if i open it with the Calibre internal viewer, but are still visible if I open it with fbreader....
all this begins to scare me :-)
Are you sure you sent the book to the reader? To the same place on the reader, removing the previous copy? You might get the behavior you describe if there are two copies of the book -- the reader might pick the old one.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Brandobras
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you sure you sent the book to the reader? To the same place on the reader, removing the previous copy? You might get the behavior you describe if there are two copies of the book -- the reader might pick the old one.
Hello,
i'm sure that idid not send the book to the reader
i'm seeing it in the calibre viewer (at the moment no hyphens) and in fbreader (pc version) where there are a lot of hyphens in words where they shouldn't be (in the middle of lines...).. I did not send this book to the reader just because i'd like to have it well before doing that..

best regards
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Brandobras, If you have MSWord it might be worth a try opening your RTF and then SaveAs Webpage-Filtered.

If you then open the resulting HTML file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad++) you should easily be able to see whether the soft-hyphens are still present. If necessary, you can then get rid of them with a simple Find/ReplaceAll.

If you then re-import the HTML file into Calibre you should have a nice clean source from which to do your conversion.

If you don't have MSWord I would think (guessing) the free Open Office would also be able to SaveAs HTML.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote