Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Question Have you read 6 of those 100?

The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books here. How do your reading habits stack up?

Instructions: just tell us how many & maybe comment?
(I left my answers --too lazy to dump them)

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen -
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien - YES
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte - YES
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling -
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee -
TOTAL SO FAR: 2

6 The Bible -- YES
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte - YES
8 1984 - George Orwell - YES
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman -
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens -
TOTAL SO FAR: 4

11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott -
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy -
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller -
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare - YES
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier -
TOTAL SO FAR: 5

16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien YES
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk -
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger YES
19 The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger -
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot -
TOTAL SO FAR: 7

21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell -- YES
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald YES
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens -
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams -
TOTAL SO FAR:8

26 Tess Of The D'Urbervilles - - - - - - -
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky-
28 Grapes of Wrath YES
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - YES
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame - YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 11

31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy -YES
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens -
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis -
34 Emma - Jane Austen -
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen -
TOTAL SO FAR: 12

36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis -
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hossein -
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres -
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden - yes
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne -YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 13

41 Animal Farm - George Orwell - YES
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown -
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez -YES
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving -yes
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins -
TOTAL SO FAR: 15

46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery -
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy -
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood -
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding -
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan -yes
TOTAL SO FAR: 15

51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel -
52 Dune - Frank Herbert -YES
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons -
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen -
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth -YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 17

56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon -
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens -
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley -YES
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night - Mark Haddon -
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez -
TOTAL SO FAR: 18

61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck - YES
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov -
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt -
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold -
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas -
TOTAL SO FAR: 19

66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac -
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy -
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding -yes
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie -
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville -
TOTAL SO FAR: 19

71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens -
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker -YES
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett -
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson -
75 Ulysses - James Joyce -YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 21

76 The Inferno - Dante -
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome -
78 Germinal - Emile Zola -
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray -
80 Possession - AS Byatt -yes
TOTAL SO FAR: 21

81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens -
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell -
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker -
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro -yes
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert -YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 22

86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry -yes
87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White -
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom -
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle -YES
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton -
TOTAL SO FAR: 23

91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad -
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery -YES
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks -
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams-
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole -YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 25

96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute -
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas -YES
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare - YES
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo -YES
TOTAL SO FAR: 30
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1) Being French I don't pay so much attention to all anglo-saxon titles (Who is Richard Adams?)
2) Having in the same list "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" & "Les Miserables" is...hm.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Too lazy to recount, but I believe 46 or so. I did a blog post on it months ago...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
33 for me I think.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I have read 52.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Richard Adams, he wrote Watership Down which is basically a scary book about bunnies. I haven't read it yet.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Richard Adams, he wrote Watership Down which is basically a scary book about bunnies. I haven't read it yet.
He also wrote Plaguedogs and Maia
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm embarrassed -- only about 15 of those (could be a few more, but I'm being conservative). And hey that is exactly why I bought my 505 a few weeks ago, to begin to catch up on my classics to-be-read list.

I find it funny that the two I recently read were not on the list - Of Human Bondage and Sons and Lovers
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
38! And I'm working my way in the 1001 books to read list so I'm getting there.

Is Donna Tart a classic read?
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
38! And I'm working my way in the 1001 books to read list so I'm getting there.

Is Donna Tart a classic read?
Not really, but it's supposed to be very very good. Kind of like how Life of Pi and Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime are classics now.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 16, 25, 29, 33, 34, 35, 36, 40, 41, 46, 49, 54, 71, 73, 74, 81, 87, 89, 92, 99

Hmm... only 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books here. How do your reading habits stack up?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I've read only 19 on the list, but then I don't read a lot of popular fiction and virtually no popular current fiction. Most of my reading is nonfiction history and biography. What fiction I do read is largely scifi/fantasy.

The problem with lists like these -- and the lamentation that few will have read many on the list -- is that the list represents one person or group's view of what is worthwhile reading. Yes, Watership Down is a decent book, but I wouldn't cast in the same plane as Sherlock Holmes. The only thing remarkable about Ulysses, to my way of thinking, is that someone thought it worth reading at all.

How many of these same list makers have read, for example, any of Dashiell Hammett's novels or the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin? They cited Zola's Germinal, but not his J'Accuse, which is certainly a more important work. No mention of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle or Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt. Of course, some of the most important books in history are omitted, as well as some of the most important authors -- books and authors that truly impacted the world.

Lists of must read books are simply a way to say I read x books and you didn't, so shame on you! Consequently, I never feel embarassed that I read so few on a list. The beauty of literature is that there are no true must-read works.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why is "Tess of the d'Urbevilles" in the list twice? Why is "The Chronicles of Narnia" listed, and then "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" listed separated?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
I've read the majority of them but like Harry said, the list is a little sloppy (another example: complete works of Shakespeare and Hamlet later on). Also, do you have a link to the original article?

Also also, I think the good denizens of MobileRead don't really mesh well with this 'most people' when talking about reading habits
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
36 and counting! Now that I finally have an ebook reader (my prs-505 arrived yesterday), I'll have easier access to more of those classics!
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why is "Tess of the d'Urbevilles" in the list twice? Why is "The Chronicles of Narnia" listed, and then "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" listed separated?
That just jumps out at you, doesn't it? I noticed it too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote