Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #16
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Thanks for your replies. Will check out MobiUnpack!

DiapDealer, I just posted a question in your old thread about hanging paragraphs. I should have posted it here I guess. For now, I'll link to it instead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142664
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Do you know what code I could use to add an inline space-before a paragraph for in mobi? I've figured out I can use find/replace to quickly add a blank para before quotes on a global level, but I would prefer to keep it in the code, if not in CSS, at least in-line code.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you don't want to use CSS you can just use:

Code:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Where you want a blank line.

But I tend to create a special CSS class that has an extra-large "margin-top" attribute and assign that class to paragraphs when I want a space (scenebreak or whatever).

Code:
<p class="gap">Blah, blah, blah.</p>
And CSS that looks like:
Code:
.gap { margin-bottom:0; margin-right: 0; margin-top: 1em; margin-left:0; text-indent: 1.2em; }
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #19
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you don't want to use CSS you can just use:

Code:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Where you want a blank line.

But I tend to create a special CSS class that has an extra-large "margin-top" attribute and assign that class to paragraphs when I want a space (scenebreak or whatever).

Code:
<p class="gap">Blah, blah, blah.</p>
You could also use an inline style, instead of the CSS, applied to the paragraph needing a preceding space:

Code:
<p style="margin-top: 1em;"> ...
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
You could also use an inline style, instead of the CSS, applied to the paragraph needing a preceding space:

Code:
<p style="margin-top: 1em;"> ...
Exactly.

Or the HTML 3.2 code that you'd find in the mobi itself would be:
Code:
<p height="0pt" width="1em">Blah, blah, blah.</p>
<p height="1em" width="1em">More and more blah.</p>
<p height="0pt" width="1em">Even more and more blah.</p>
The middle paragraph would have a 1em space preceding it.
("width" defining the paragraph indent and "height" defining the paragraph spacing)

Which has the advantage of not needing to be "translated" by any converter program (but the disadvantage of being easy to forget about and making later edits difficult when tracking down hard-coded "styles.")

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-10-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_ink View Post
I am coverting an epub that contains several indented block quotes to mobi. The kindlegen generated mobi doesn't scrub up too well, the indented quotes are indented on the left hand side (maybe a bit further thanI would like) but not at all on the right hand side. Is there a known way to fix this? If i need to edit the epub CSS first, or perhaps I need to use another program to clean up the mobi? Any help much appreciatted.
The only way to fix this is to go ePub. It's another limitation of Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The only way to fix this is to go ePub. It's another limitation of Mobipocket.
Must you? Really? It's gotten quite tiresome.

Tags
epub conversion, kindlegen, mobi conversion