Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Viewing .epub covers in Windows Explorer?

Hey everyone:

Is there a way to view .epub thumbnails as book covers in windows explorer? It would be such a timesaver, because I can simply edit and stuff from there without having to load up Calibre and load the 18,259 epub documents that I currently have in this folder. (I have more in others.) It would also help me look for dupes as well as avoid that HORRIBLE 'ABC Amber Lit Converter' pos. Like if I have two books, one with that shizz and another pristine, I'd prefer to get rid of the corrupt one, not the perfect one.

I know that with pdf books you can use the Preview Pane. But are there any programs or tweaks that will allow you to view the .epub covers as thumbnails in a Windows Explorer window running on Windows 7 64?
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

No-one knows? If they do, I'd appreciate some help. This issue is very important to me.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Don't use windows at home to test this, but instructions are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35505
although it looks like this may be out of date now.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no way for Windows to be able to pull the cover out of an ePub and display as a thumbnail. You would have to write the code for Windows to do that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Dullahir
Zealot

Ah, thanks for the info. And yes, I did see the page you spoke of, but it didn't say anything about .epub, so I wasn't sure, hehe.

And thanks, Wolfie, I thought as much, but I guess it didn't hurt to ask. So there's no software of anything that might help, right? I know that Adobe has some, but I guess that's just the way things are. Should I temporarily reformat the books to pdf to check? (I really don't want to do that because formatting from .pdf is an absolute BISh. A single 3.7mb book once took 306m 38s before I cancelled it.)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Adobe Digital Editions displays covers as thumbnails, so long as the book is in your personal library. You can't edit them in it and they have to be valid or they won't be displayed.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Dullahir
Zealot

Yes, I know. I have Adobe Digital Editons, but they display the covers within the program itself, not without it.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've had success with CBX Shell Manager on 32 bit Windows 7, and just need to experiment on 64 bit, so I can document what is needed.

32 Bit, the following registry edit is needed
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.epub]
@="epub_auto_file"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.epub\shellex]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.epub\shellex\{00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="{9E6ECB90-5A61-42BD-B851-D3297D9C7F39}"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.epub\shellex\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{9E6ECB90-5A61-42BD-B851-D3297D9C7F39}"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
That post I linked does have a registry setting for epubs as well, about half way down.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
That post I linked does have a registry setting for epubs as well, about half way down.
Different program.... and people did indicate issues with 64 bit support.... but... I guess you know better...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Pachuco
Pachuco began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF700T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Different program.... and people did indicate issues with 64 bit support.... but... I guess you know better...
This here worked for me on Windows 8.1 64-bit
Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
Logarithmic
Logarithmic began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
I I know this thread is quite old. But it's one of the top results on Google for epub thumbnails and since nobody had a solid answer. Figured it post one. Me and a friend made modifications to a previous program and created a pretty perfect. Windows epub thumbnails handler.

https://github.com/dark-knight404/DarkThumbs
Logarithmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logarithmic View Post
I I know this thread is quite old. But it's one of the top results on Google for epub thumbnails and since nobody had a solid answer. Figured it post one. Me and a friend made modifications to a previous program and created a pretty perfect. Windows epub thumbnails handler.

https://github.com/dark-knight404/DarkThumbs
Where is the actual compiled version? Also, could you make it so it does not have anything to do with .RAR and .ZIP?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #14
Logarithmic
Logarithmic began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Compiled version is under releases.. On the right side.
It can be turned on and off for each individual filetype.
Epubs are technically a zip file. With a different filename and manafest. Figured might as well leave it there. CBZ and CBR are comic books formats. That are literally just 7z and RAR with different extensions as well.
Logarithmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre works better than explorer. Explorer is one reason I stopped using windows. I can't see how having thumbnails in explorer saves time.

Though I do have many thousands of PDF that only have a numeric code unrelated to anything and used thumbnails of those in Explorer using an extension. Not needed now on Linux.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote