Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
johanp
johanp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PocketBook Touch 622
PW Russian - English, Italian - English dictionaries?

Hi all,

About to purchase a new reader and investigating dictionary support. I'm studying Russian and Italian so I would like to have translation dictionaries from those two languages to English.

Regarding Russian I searched the forums but couldn't find a conclusive answer. I did not find any Ru-En dict in the Kindle shop. Is there a solution for this?

For Italian I found this. Is that the best one available? I downloaded the sample and it seems pretty terse.

Thanks in advance.
johanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanp View Post
For Italian I found this.
The Kindle comes with the twelfth edition of the monolingual Lo Zingarelli Vocabolario della Lingua Italiana, whose coverage you can test by installing any of the free Kindle apps.

If you still need a bilingual dictionary, check out the Collins Italian-English dictionary, which will be available in January. (I don't have first hand experience with any of the Collins ebooks, but their paper editions are usually sufficient for students.)

AFAIK, there's no official Russian-English dictionary, but the IIRC the Russian Kindle users at the Russian ebook forum have converted several bilingual dictionaries.

If Russian is important to you check out PocketBook series for which you can buy additional IT-EN and RU-EN dictionaries in the Obreey Store.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The Kindle comes with the twelfth edition of the monolingual Lo Zingarelli Vocabolario della Lingua Italiana, whose coverage you can test by installing any of the free Kindle apps.

If you still need a bilingual dictionary, check out the Collins Italian-English dictionary, which will be available in January. (I don't have first hand experience with any of the Collins ebooks, but their paper editions are usually sufficient for students.)

AFAIK, there's no official Russian-English dictionary, but the IIRC the Russian Kindle users at the Russian ebook forum have converted several bilingual dictionaries.

If Russian is important to you check out PocketBook series for which you can buy additional IT-EN and RU-EN dictionaries in the Obreey Store.
Will the Obreey dictionaries work on the kindle PW as pop-up definitions? Does anyone have experience with them?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Will the Obreey dictionaries work on the kindle PW as pop-up definitions? Does anyone have experience with them?
AFAIK, the Obreey dictionaries can only be used with PocketBook readers. BTW, the same publisher offers Russian dictionaries also for iOS and Android devices.
I.e., you'd need an iPad or a Kindle Fire to use them. For more information on alternative Russian eInk Kindle dictionaries see also this thread.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
bloob
bloob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, the Obreey dictionaries can only be used with PocketBook readers. BTW, the same publisher offers Russian dictionaries also for iOS and Android devices.
I.e., you'd need an iPad or a Kindle Fire to use them. For more information on alternative Russian eInk Kindle dictionaries see also this thread.

As a poster on that thread mentioned, there's a downloadable Ru-En here:
http://zalil.ru/34128958
I can testify that it works for pop-ups on Kindle 4!
bloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloob View Post

As a poster on that thread mentioned, there's a downloadable Ru-En here:
http://zalil.ru/34128958
I can testify that it works for pop-ups on Kindle 4!

I can confirm that this dictionary does work beautifully as a pop-up dictionary on the PW. It is a rather good dictionary as well.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Darn it... zalil.ru blocked by my company firewall as malware. Is the site otherwise legit if I download it at home later?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote