Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle PW 2 speculation

I was thinking about getting the Paperwhite but I think I'll wait since my Kindle Touch is only a year old. The tech is really at a mature stage unless they figure out someway to dramatically increase the screen contrast. I'm not sure what else they can do with a black and white eink Kindle.

Predicted features of next Kindle:
1. Color epaper
2. Better existing features (contrast, speed, etc)
3. Text to voice will return
4. Larger screen

Last edited by markbot; 01-04-2013 at 09:26 AM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'd like to see one with 8GB space.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Never buy the first of a series.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Never buy the first of a series.
It is not really the first of a series. Only an updated Kindle Touch with light, higher resolution, no sound, less memory. Not really any noticeable difference. Kidding. But seriously, where is the 2nd gen Touch? Anyone waiting for a PW 2 might as well give up. The last one that got an update (hardware) is the basic non-touch, non-keyboard Kindle (K4).

Who knows with Amazon.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I still love my kindle keyboard, but I would be very tempted to buy a PW if the memory was increased to 4 GB. I know we can keep everything on the Cloud, but I just don't want to. I know I can back everything up, but I just don't want to. I have about 1.8 GB on my KK right now

ETA: I think I will also really miss the page turn buttons, but I suppose those are gone forever once they stop making the KK.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 01-03-2013 at 08:24 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I still love my kindle keyboard, but I would be very tempted to buy a PW if the memory was increased to 4 GB. I know we can keep everything on the Cloud, but I just don't want to. I know I can back everything up, but I just don't want to. I have about 1.8 GB on my KK right now

ETA: I think I will also really miss the page turn buttons, but I suppose those are gone forever once they stop making the KK.
I'm not making fun of anybody, but I don't really understand the mentality of keeping all of your ebooks on your physical device. Is it a mental thing? I have always had a couple books on there at once and my actual library of books resides in Calibre. When I want to get a new book from my library, I just plug the PW into the USB and I have a new book in about 20 seconds. Using my method, 2 GB is fantastic and more than enough space for my needs. Do you mind explaining your (and so many other people's) reasoning for keeping everything on one device? Sorry, just curious.
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
I'm not making fun of anybody, but I don't really understand the mentality of keeping all of your ebooks on your physical device. Is it a mental thing? I have always had a couple books on there at once and my actual library of books resides in Calibre. When I want to get a new book from my library, I just plug the PW into the USB and I have a new book in about 20 seconds. Using my method, 2 GB is fantastic and more than enough space for my needs. Do you mind explaining your (and so many other people's) reasoning for keeping everything on one device? Sorry, just curious.
I can organize my books HOW I want them rather than being restricted to how they do it on the cloud. I don't have my computer with me all the time (like at work), and if I finish a book and want to read another one, and haven't been able to get to a PC, then they are all right there, in the order I want, in the collections I want.

I don't have ALL my books on there, but I always keep about 15-20 TBR books

EDIT: This being said, I have more of my "read" books on it than my TBR, I just read them and put them in a collection. I would LOVE to have more than 2GB on it. Also, I enjoy comics, those take up some space

Last edited by jhempel24; 01-04-2013 at 12:13 AM.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega34 View Post
Do you mind explaining your (and so many other people's) reasoning for keeping everything on one device? Sorry, just curious.
That's easy to explain.

If WWIII starts tonight and I only have two minutes to leave my burning house, I can take my Reading Device and everything's fine. I just need to charge it once in a while, so I think I'll take the USB charger, too. But I can leave the laptop where it is..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Amazon has only disincentives for giving you TTS. They want you to buy audiobooks and hopefully listen to them on the Fire. They still sell the kindle keyboard, I suspect, to ward off potential complaints/lawsuits from the disabled. With no audio, what do you need more memory for? To side load all your books? Nuh uh, they want you to get used to putting everything on the cloud. Don't be a control freak. That is their job.

We will probably see an improved front light system. Plus more software features like X-ray.

The kindle is bound by eink technology. Lately, eink corp. hasn't done squat to advance their display. And nobody else has brought anything to the market to challenge them.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Other than it needing to be lighter, more storage and better battery life, I don't see anything that needs improving on the PW.

It truly is nearly the perfect Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Decided against the PW and for now keeping my K3. What I would like on the PW2 is:

- A nice even screen without the pink and green blotches which I can clearly see in many of the pictures posted

- Bigger memory, either internal or via a card expansion slot. I'm one of those people who want to have the books on the device (fine to have backups in the cloud and on computer - and yes, I use Calibre too - but I still want to have my books at hand!)

- Improved battery life

- a return of the page turn buttons - that way people have a choice of how they use the device. Choice is good

Last edited by Yolina; 01-04-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
- a return of the page turn buttons
Other than a good colour eink display, this is the only real addition I want to my PW.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
That's easy to explain.

If WWIII starts tonight and I only have two minutes to leave my burning house, I can take my Reading Device and everything's fine. I just need to charge it once in a while, so I think I'll take the USB charger, too. But I can leave the laptop where it is..
If WW3 starts tonight, an e-book reader is what I personally worry about least (SCNR)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Just saw this article about Amazon expanding their Kindle R&D division. I'd suggest they work on QC too because the PW seems to be a tad inconsistent...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I added a prediction that the screen size will be larger. Personally, I think the 6" display is too small. It's not quite wide enough. I actually started reading all books in landscape mode, which I find much better than portrait. I think there is room to take the screen closer to the edge of the device.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote