Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Cosign.

I think Amazon is as good at what they do as Apple is at what they do. Two awesome tech firms.
Amazon and Apple are the two companies that are taking what we have and screwing with it in such a way that we might as well go back to paper books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
This could really be an issue.

Ideally, Overdrive would license a "copy" of a book to the library and then let the patron choose the format at checkout, but that sounds far-fetched (and sure isn't what they do now).

But this could definitely water down collections as libraries are pushed to buy "big titles" in 2 formats and have nothing left for smaller nonfiction titles and the like.
Yep; it doesn't look good at this point.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm assuming it will work like Overdrive already does, except that borrowed mobi files will be useable on the Kindle without Kindlefix (most likely), or Amazon will start supporting ePub and Adobe DRM (unlikely). I'd also assume that Amazon will work with Overdrive so they can offer more mobi titles.
Currently, OverDrive doesn't support mobi. It only supports: EPUB eBooks, MP3 Audiobooks, WMA Audiobooks, WMA Music, and WMV Video.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #34
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Currently, OverDrive doesn't support mobi.
I assume that's what's going to change.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #35
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I don't use that service but this is awesome!

And a big hit to B&N and Sony. With Kindle for Android and iOs already, Amazon is basically covering all the bases and backing that up with the biggest online bookstore.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #36
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #37
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
My library carries Adobe ePub, Adobe PDF and some Mobipocket formats.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 04-20-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Currently, OverDrive doesn't support mobi. It only supports: EPUB eBooks, MP3 Audiobooks, WMA Audiobooks, WMA Music, and WMV Video.
Actually, Overdrive does support Mobipocket eBooks. It's just that most libraries have switched from Mobipocket and gone to ePub. But the Mobipocket eBooks they've purchased before going ePub are still available (for the libraries who had eBooks before ePub).
Old 04-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #39
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

LOL
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Great news! I like the fact that they are extending their annotation features to library books.

=X=
Good move indeed.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #41
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I don't use that service but this is awesome!

And a big hit to B&N and Sony. With Kindle for Android and iOs already, Amazon is basically covering all the bases and backing that up with the biggest online bookstore.
Impressive! In it to win it.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #42
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Overdrive - iPad - epub yes, pdf no - Kindle?

On the iPad, Overdrive only borrows epub books, not pdf. I have to use Bluefire to get pdf books. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So if the Kindle is using Overdrive, then if it can only borrow epub books and not pdf, like on the iPad, it is a bit limiting, if your library carries both epub and pdf.

I'm glad that Amazon is finally allowing lending. Finally. I'm just wondering if the Overdrive limitation on the iPad carries over to the Kindle.

My library (NYPL) has a good selection of epub ebooks but also a fair number of pdf ebooks as well, so the Kindle, based on my assumptions, is still limited compared to my Sony, which can borrow both epub and pdf.

Last edited by menevets; 04-20-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: z
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #43
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by menevets View Post
My library (NYPL) has a good selection of epub ebooks but also a fair number of pdf ebooks as well, so the Kindle, based on my assumptions, is still limited compared to my Sony, which can borrow both epub and pdf.
You're right about PDF books. Many run away from those though.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #44
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Well, I'm psyched. This is good for Overdrive, Amazon, the libraries, and Kindle users.

Plus, it gives JSWolf one less thing to viably kvetch about. Sounds like a win-win to me.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Well, I'm psyched. This is good for Overdrive, Amazon, the libraries, and Kindle users.

Plus, it gives JSWolf one less thing to viably kvetch about. Sounds like a win-win to me.
This is not good for libraries. This is not good for current library users. All this is going to do is fragment things big time and create a mess. What we will have is less titles and more complaints about not getting in the format we want. I don't see this as a win-win. I see this as Amazon trying to make waves in a calm sea.