Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Thumbs down Convert to PDF still broken

Convert to Pdf from epub used to work fine, then at about v0.8.19 it all went wrong, creating massive files (I had one 300 page book weighing in at over .6Gb), this has now been fixed but the PDF output is still screwed. It is now making PDFs with unreadably small fonts.
I have tried different page sizes, being the only thing you can change in the PDF output module, and all that seems to do is royally screw up the output if you go smaller than a5 (small square blank pages at 6800% zoom that crashes Acrobat - WTF is that about?) and nothing if you go bigger than a4.

Can we have the pre 0.8.19 version back please.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
tagging on to this thread since it seems to be a similar problem. also having cbz to pdf conversion problems in the current build.

the pdf output with default settings now creates a cut off portion of the image on the bottom left hand corner (approx 1 inch of picture off the bottom of the page and 3 inches across) while the rest of the pdf page is blank white.

downgrading to previous version produced great results.

cbz to epub however works fine.

Last edited by lightforx; 10-06-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: include more details
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
More info is necessary people! Different platforms use different PDF output engines. A test file is necessary to reproduce the issue because at this point I cannot recreate this with my standard test books. Open a bug, attach a sample that displays the error, include the conversion log so I can see what settings are in use and most important of all say what OS (and OS version) you're using!
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent View Post
Convert to Pdf from epub used to work fine, then at about v0.8.19 it all went wrong, creating massive files (I had one 300 page book weighing in at over .6Gb)
You might want to review the What's New area and update to the current version.

Quote:
Release: 0.8.21 [30 Sep, 2011]

Bug Fixes
  • Fix regression that cause PDF Output to generate very large files
Quote:
I have tried different page sizes, being the only thing you can change in the PDF output module, and all that seems to do is royally screw up the output if you go smaller than a5 (small square blank pages at 6800% zoom that crashes Acrobat - WTF is that about?) and nothing if you go bigger than a4.
Do you have the Page Setup output profile set to Tablet?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-06-2011 at 07:57 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Quote:
You might want to review the What's New area and update to the current version.
You might want to read my post properly, I said it has now been fixed.

Last edited by Dillinquent; 10-07-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Dillinquent
eBook pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Do you have the Page Setup output profile set to Tablet?
Does that make a difference?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You might want to read my post properly, I said it has now been fixed.
You are correct, I didn't expect a user not to start with the problem they were having. A very unusual way to ask a question.

Quote:
Does that make a difference?
If the PDF is image based, yes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Dillinquent
eBook pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You are correct, I didn't expect a user not to start with the problem they were having. A very unusual way to ask a question.

If the PDF is image based, yes.
Why would a pdf made from an epub be image based?