Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Help! My jetBook Lite has frozen on me!

Last night my rechargeable batteries ran down, so I replaced them with a set of new ones.

Tonight I was reading a book which came included with the device (The Triumphs of Eugene Valmont), and it stopped working. It would not advance the page, it would not return to the file level, and it would not turn off.

So I took out a battery, reinserted it, and tried again. When I removed the battery, the unit shut off. It turned on without difficulty. However, it would not proceed from the boot-up screen.

So I removed the new batch of batteries, and replaced them with the prior batch, which I had recharged overnight.

Still the same problem. It turns on OK, but will not advance from the boot-up screen and will not turn off.

Any ideas?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Freezing seems to be an issue with all e- reader devices. It's happened to all of mine and the usual procedure is a reset. Is there a reset button on the jetbook? You normally need to stick the end of a paperclip in.

Otherwise I'd have a look at the manual, normally there's a troubleshooting area in there.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
When this occasionally happens with my jetBook (NON-lite), I have to plug in the AC charger on my Reader.

This cures the issue(s).

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Reset, has only happened to me 2 or 3 times. Got "stuck" and nothing else would unstick it.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Last night my rechargeable batteries ran down, so I replaced them with a set of new ones.

Tonight I was reading a book which came included with the device (The Triumphs of Eugene Valmont), and it stopped working. It would not advance the page, it would not return to the file level, and it would not turn off.

So I took out a battery, reinserted it, and tried again. When I removed the battery, the unit shut off. It turned on without difficulty. However, it would not proceed from the boot-up screen.

So I removed the new batch of batteries, and replaced them with the prior batch, which I had recharged overnight.

Still the same problem. It turns on OK, but will not advance from the boot-up screen and will not turn off.

Any ideas?
just remove obe battery, put it back, press and hold and on/off button for till screen shows up, I never use the reset, removing a battery is the same thing as reset
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid the reset button idea isn't working either. Same result.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
What about trying the ectaco forum as well

http://www.ectaco.co.uk/ectaco-forums/show/185.page
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Press the reset button and then hold down the on/off button for about five seconds. The boot up screen should show up. The last time this happened to me I had to wait a few minutes (under five?) before the boot up screen went away.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Quote:

Any other ideas?
try removing the batteries like i said in my previous post
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:

Any other ideas?
Can you make it to the self-test menu? (Power on while holding the menu and zoom buttons)

Any different results if you remove the memory card?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youssef View Post
try removing the batteries like i said in my previous post
Youssef, as I said in my OP, that is the first thing I tried.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Can you make it to the self-test menu? (Power on while holding the menu and zoom buttons)

Any different results if you remove the memory card?
Kralik, I am not using a memory card.

Which is the menu button?

I have just tried powering on while holding the zoom and the (upper left) file button with the same result - it's stuck on the boot-up screen.

I have just submitted a request with the Ectaco Support desk.

I suspect that the solution will turn out to be simple because I have never hooked up the device to a computer. I have never used an SD card nor have I ever loaded a book. I have read only the books which came included with the device. So the device is still a virgin for problem purposes, I think.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
That's correct -- upper left and upper right buttons. With the symptoms you are describing, I wonder if you have a serious hardware problem of sorts. Perhaps try taking out the batteries and leaving them out for an hour.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Perhaps try taking out the batteries and leaving them out for an hour.
OK, I'll do that now.

Still haven't heard back from Ectaco yet.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Press the reset button and then hold down the on/off button for about five seconds. The boot up screen should show up. The last time this happened to me I had to wait a few minutes (under five?) before the boot up screen went away.
I always get the boot-up screen, but it won't go away and move on to the next screen. I've left the boot-up screen on for an hour, and nothing happens.