Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #46
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Updated again, with dropbear's upstream fixes in .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #47
ledeze
ledeze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
How to use snapshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Follow the instructions on the Wiki page, the sources are, well, the sources ^^. As a random end-user, you don't really need them .
Hello,
Sorry for my ignorance as a simple Windows user.. I did try to search the Wiki for answers, but I am not sure what I am looking for...

With the SN = 9017... of my new PW2, it appears that I need to use your snapshot. I located the appropriate one, downloaded it, and unzipped it. But appears strange to me that there are no file extensions such as .sh and .bin.

This is certainly way over my head. Is it safe to just copy that to the root of my PW2? Is there something I am missing completely?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! Cheers!
ledeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #48
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ledeze: Follow the JB thread, except instead of a 'master' .zip package, you have a .tar.xz (meaning 7zip or WinRar 5 is your new best friend). Keep going until you see the right .zip package, some dumb unarchivers might not unpack the tar.xz in one step.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #49
ledeze
ledeze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ledeze: Follow the JB thread, except instead of a 'master' .zip package, you have a .tar.xz (meaning 7zip or WinRar 5 is your new best friend). Keep going until you see the right .zip package, some dumb unarchivers might not unpack the tar.xz in one step.
Indeed 7zip became a better friend than JZip. That was the issue. Everything is working great. Thanks a bunch for the great work!!
ledeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #50
Darthij
Darthij began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G - 4GB
Hi - pretty sure this is the right place. I have a Kindle PW2 (Serial 9017) and have successfully JB, and installed Python and Linnks.

However, the only screensaver I get is a stock one. Never changes (and has done only once before the JB too despite owning for a week)
Darthij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #51
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthij View Post
Hi - pretty sure this is the right place. I have a Kindle PW2 (Serial 9017) and have successfully JB, and installed Python and Linnks.

However, the only screensaver I get is a stock one. Never changes (and has done only once before the JB too despite owning for a week)
Describe the screensaver you are seeing...(your PW isn't a Special Offers or Waterstone one is it?)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #52
Darthij

It is Waterstones...I did some more googling afterwards and realised that.

The screensaver is a Haruki Murakami quote. I've installed KUAL and toggled the Waterstones button but it doesn't help :-(

It seems to work fine after I downgrade to 5.4..3.1 to jailbreak but reverts back to it the minute it updates.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #53
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Toggle the "Waterstones Button" again - after the update.
You will also have to re-install MKK after the update.

Hint: Also install the KUAL Backdoor Lock so you can control when/if the device updates.
(Leave it in "airplane mode" until everything is put back the way you want it and the "Backdoor" is locked.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #54
Darthij

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Toggle the "Waterstones Button" again - after the update.
You will also have to re-install MKK after the update.

Hint: Also install the KUAL Backdoor Lock so you can control when/if the device updates.
(Leave it in "airplane mode" until everything is put back the way you want it and the "Backdoor" is locked.)
Thanks for the response - Amazon are sending me a new device today by express delivery which I hope will sort the problem!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Never having had a Waterstones device on hand, I can't be sure the Waterstones button is actually functional. I don't recall anyone ever complaining about it, but, YMMV .

That said, the upgrade behavior is utterly normal, see the FAQ entry on OTA updates in the JB thread .
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Pushed new snapshots with an updated version of the K5 JailBreak, implementing the changes mentioned by kaznelson, hopefully in a robust manner.

(That means MKK should survive updates and registration changes).

[The MKK update, while related, is redundant with the updated JB, it's mostly there because I started there first, and having those changes set up in MKK itself too might come in handy later on other devices].

[Both the JB and the bridge install package are concerned, you only need to update one of those to get the new code].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-22-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #57
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Excellent!! Many thanks. Especially since you are doing this after having your stuff stolen.

Edit: I installed the snapshot JB before updating and MKK did survive the 5.4.4.1 update.

Last edited by ssholloway; 08-23-2014 at 12:27 AM.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #58
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
After removal МКК - imho, the original file json_simple-1.1.jar too demands 0664 rights...
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kaznelson: If that's what you were thinking of, the permissions *should* be okay in the MKK uninstaller, since that jar will never touch a vfat partition, the perms are preserved in the tarball and when unpacking (and are okay in the tarball itself).

That said, I'm not sure I actually ever uninstalled MKK, so if doesn't work as it should, yeah, that'd need to be fixed .

And if it does work as I think it does, that means that the chmod in the MKK installer is redundant and I forgot to kill it when merging (but we do need it in the bridge, in case the userstore frak things up).

EDIT: Whee, I'm blind. 0664 != 0644. -_-". Thanks! ;p.

EDIT²: Well, I do have it @ 0644 on my PW1, and nothing has blown up so far, but it's not pretty, good catch .

EDIT³: Fixed, thanks .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-23-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 AM   #60
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
NiLuJe

USBNetwork after 783 build - PuTTY/WinSCP connection interrupt with SSH2-error.
How it can be corrected?..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_PuTTY.png
Views:	720
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	127254  
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje