Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #901
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Planet Baen Server Migration on Monday at 11 am Pacific

From Bob on Baen's Bar:

Quote:
I'm switching us to Amazon's cloud hosting tomorrow. In order to do this, I need to take down the site for several hours while I switch IPs, which entails re-keying SSL in addition to the DNS changes. Once we're at Amazon we'll have an elastic IP and will be able to scale up with minimal downtime, theoretically.

The site will be offline for several hours. Your freeholds will be frozen at the same point in the cycle that I do the database backup. Even when we do come back up, full DNS propagation can take over a day.

Hopefully the move will go smoothly and performance will be good afterward. We'll see.

Best,
Bob

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #902
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
What. The. Hell.

I had a pretty stable Freehold with over 30 million surplus in food and energy, and 2 billion Baenbucks. And stable in that I could leave it for several cycles and not much would get depleted. I checked it a couple of days ago, then had a busy weekend and didn't do anything with it.

I lot in today to find I have 0 Baen Bucks and I have 40 million in deficits for energy and food. Seriously???? A 2% population growth and a couple of whacks shouldn't have eaten well over 2 billion Baen Bucks and put me that far into the hole. I think I may be done with this game. Between the super slow levelling without much to do between levels and now this.....

I think the problem is people who are stalled on levelling are just sitting there accumulating bucks so they're trying to do something to not have them destabilize the game. So levelling is hugely expensive at that point, etc. But it really introduces more imbalance the way they've gone about it. If you're NOT stalled at a level for a while, say as a new player, it's going to be difficult to get what you need to level up.
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #903
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
And that's why I keep a tiny, tiny pop.

They do keep trying to move the goalposts to "balance" against what looks like a few people, while decidedly unbalancing the game for everyone else. Instead of merely increasing the Bucks requirement, they should probably just send people into multi-Project loops where instead of being able to buy the better new level assets, you should have to build each and every one of them.

That would introduce more strategy into the game (I need X spaces free for Y project components, what can I afford to sacrifice) and give people something they actively need to do instead of passively waiting for the Bucks to pile up like I am (8 more days until Level 18, unless they move the goalposts again).

Well, if the game's offline starting with the next few hours, it'll give me a chance to finish up my lab report with fewer distractions.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #904
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Even a huge pop should not have depleted ALL of my Baenbucks. And I don't think I had a huge pop. It wasn't tiny, but checking it once a day I didn't see any significant difference to my surplus numbers so it was very balanced with the assets that I had. I wasn't relying on huge surges or even regular surges to maintain. I can understand some whacks, but so many whacks that it used up 2.6 billion bucks and put me that far in the red over two days??

I'm sure they tinkered with something or changed an equation that put me so far in the hole. But even a whack every cycle shouldn't have removed ALL of my Baenbucks.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #905
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
mnfe - search the bar messages. someone else had a problem where their bucks went negative. It might have hit you.

In any case, Bob might give you a few back, once he gets the game moved to the new servers.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #906
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Planet is back up...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #907
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Planet is back up...
Well I'm still not up.

I refresh the page am presented with this message.

"Planet Baen is undergoing a planned migration to a new server.
This may take several hours. Thank you for your patience. "
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #908
koland
Grand Sorcerer

It'll depend on how long the DNS takes to propagate to your ISP (should be fairly fast, as the are using GoDaddy).

HOWEVER, it is running dirt slow - as bad as last week when Bob was on vacation. I suspect because of the move and possibly because it is still "moving" but allowing play, anyway.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #909
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Well I wasn't planning on doing much with my freehold untill tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have it back by then.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #910
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It'll depend on how long the DNS takes to propagate to your ISP (should be fairly fast, as the are using GoDaddy).

HOWEVER, it is running dirt slow - as bad as last week when Bob was on vacation. I suspect because of the move and possibly because it is still "moving" but allowing play, anyway.
Didn't godaddy support SOPA?

How un bænlike.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #911
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Seems to be back up and tolerable speed - about 50 minutes until next cycle.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #912
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Didn't godaddy support SOPA?

How un bænlike.
Yes they did, until they started to get mass cancellations of accounts. Then they backed off real quick. But it seems memories are short.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #913
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder
H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I am on PlanetBaen as Hal Po.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be leery of increasing population. I have always known people are nothing but trouble.*

*But please ally with me anyway!
H.P. Lovesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #914
mnfe
Connoisseur

For those not on the Baen Bar, the mystery is solved. If you leave your freehold unattended for 8 cycles, it starts to degrade and you lose all your money. They are changing that soon.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #915
LiseRayes
Enthusiast
LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!LiseRayes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: B&N Nook, Asus MemoPad,
I am on PlanetBaen as Queen Lise the First.
I was in at the Beta testing and also at the first from the new launch. I have a question for which I suspect the answer is somewhere in the 50+ previous pages but I don't have the time to read it all , so what really does joining an alliance or having someone join your alliance gain you?
Sorry if it's an obvious question
LiseRayes is offline   Reply With Quote