Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you been unable to obtain an ebook you wanted because of your reader?
Yes, a title I wanted was not available to me. 19 35.19%
No, I have always found what I wanted. 34 62.96%
I got the book, but I would have gotten a significantly better deal if I had been able to buy from a different place. 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is book selection really a factor?

If one is willing to strip DRM and convert formats, this is essentially an non issue, but for all those not willing or able to do so, is it really an issue?
Have you ever not been able to get the book you wanted because of what reader you have?
Does Amazon really have everything?
Let's hear actual experiences.

I'd like to set aside issues like DRM stripping or georestrictions, and stick to straight forward legally able to buy the book or not because of the format or store.

That is, if you have never been denied access to anything because you strip DRM, please don't vote based on that, and if you've only been denied access because of georestrictions, please don't vote based on that.

If the ebook is not legally available anywhere then that wouldn't count as being denied because of your reader....all readers would have equal access...zero.

Also, if you were able to buy a book, but you had to turn down a significantly better deal elsewhere because you couldn't buy from that place, there is now a poll option for that!
I think that is a legitimate reason to feel closed out based on your reader.

I'm sure we'd love to see some specifics posted below, from those voting YES, especially.

Last edited by ApK; 05-26-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: OK...really done now...I hope.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The biggest advantage of Amazon, especially with the 3G Kindle is that it's all so easy. Browse the bookstore on the device, click a button, and a minute later you're reading the book. Amazon aren't just selling you the reader, but the whole "infrastructure", and more than anyone they've got it right.

You're absolutely right; if you're willing to strip DRM, and if it's legal where you live (it isn't where I live, for example) there's no particular advantage in one bookstore over another; they all sell pretty much the same books. But it's a lot easier not to have to have all the hassle of removing DRM, even if it is legal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should have added one more option:

"I got the book, but I would have gotten a significantly better deal if I had been able to buy from a different place."

ApK
Old 05-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
on Harry's point , it's not an advantage Amazon has on the anyone, you can do the same on the Nook, Sony 950 and the Kobo as well but I do know what you are saying. That is one of the reason's I love the nook, you can have your ecosystem, buy from BN from the device or computer and download wirelessly and have a book ready in under a minute. seconds on my nook color and available on all your devices: phone, tablet, computer.

but at the same time I get take advantage of kobo's weekly coupons, keep an eye on Google books to see if they are running any specials.

so it's like having the best of both worlds.

I have yet to find a book that I could not find somewhere on the net and just simple load up with no drm stripping.

Last edited by boswd; 05-26-2011 at 01:57 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I like and want a lot of the older out of print books written by favorite authors. Unfortunately they are not available by legal means and I do not patronise the Black sites. So.......I wait.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
ApK

I guess "not legally available anywhere" amounts to "equal availability for all devices" so if that's the the only reason you've been denied access, I'd say it would rate a 'no' vote.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
on Harry's point , it's not an advantage Amazon has on the anyone, you can do the same on the Nook, Sony 950 and the Kobo as well
It is an advantage that Amazon have for most of us. Bear in mind that the nook and the Sony PRS-950 are only sold in the US. Does the Kobo allow you to buy books on the device itself? I've never seen a Kobo "in the flesh".
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
My first reader was a Nook I bought over a year ago. I went with it because I did most of my shopping at our local B&N. BUT then I found out there were a lot of books & cheaper books found at the Amazon site. Books I couldn't get at B&N. So I talked myself into a Kindle3.

Now I find I can get many of the books I want at various other places & seldom buy at Amazon....or B&N . I have a Sony350 now & shop at a lot of places I never heard of over a year ago. Yes I could shop at some of them with the Kindle & Nook, but I fell in love with my Sony & use it as my main reader, next is the Kindle.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is an advantage that Amazon have for most of us. Bear in mind that the nook and the Sony PRS-950 are only sold in the US. Does the Kobo allow you to buy books on the device itself? I've never seen a Kobo "in the flesh".
yeah the kobo does allow you download books via wifi.

Sony 950 isn't sold internationally? Wow did not know that.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
yeah the kobo does allow you download books via wifi.

Sony 950 isn't sold internationally? Wow did not know that.
The 350 and the 650 are international, but the 950 is US only. Probably because it has a CDMA radio, which won't work internationally.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
The 350 and the 650 are international, but the 950 is US only. Probably because it has a CDMA radio, which won't work internationally.
makes sense
Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use an iPhone so I've got access to most ebook formats regardless of DRM. Having a "divided" library gets pretty frustrating though so I tend to stick to Adobe ePub (Bluefire Reader) or Amazon Kindle.

I would like to stick to ePub exclusively, but I've found a handful of titles that are only available on Amazon's Kindle store.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-26-2011 at 03:17 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is why I prefer my Android tablet and iPhone. I can access any ebook from any source by downloading apps. So I use Stanza and Kindle on the iPhone and Cool Reader and Kindle on the Android.

I would prefer not to have to use two apps, but I find some books are only available on the Kindle or are a lower price there. So I use both.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The biggest advantage of Amazon, especially with the 3G Kindle is that it's all so easy. Browse the bookstore on the device, click a button, and a minute later you're reading the book. Amazon aren't just selling you the reader, but the whole "infrastructure", and more than anyone they've got it right.

You're absolutely right; if you're willing to strip DRM, and if it's legal where you live (it isn't where I live, for example) there's no particular advantage in one bookstore over another; they all sell pretty much the same books. But it's a lot easier not to have to have all the hassle of removing DRM, even if it is legal.
But we now have the nook and the Kobo that will give similar experiences and maybe better ones given that there is no need for an obsolete 5-way controller to select.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
The ereader is just the tool, but the library or libraries behind, play a very important role.

I personally don't care about ebook formats. But if the titles I read or want are not available on X format and that's what my readers uses, I'm stuck. That happened to me when I bought the Nook 1st generation: had the ereader, but I was not able to find my computer books on B&N bookstore. I sold it, and moved to a combination of ereader/bookstore that sells what I read and like.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote