Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
simong6
simong6 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Newbie question- PDF conversion without losing file formatting

Hi,

i've a question regarding file conversion and format for thie Kindle. I don't actually own one at the moment but am looking to purchase within the next couple of days.

I have several large PDF files that I'm going to be looking at putting on to the Kindle and am wondering how I would go about converting them to .mobi files without losing the current page format on them. I've tried Calibre, but when I've opened the .mobi files in the Kindle for PC program the layout is all messed up and doesn't look as crisp as the original PDF, and the pictures contained in the .PDF don't appear in the correct places!

I know its anal, but I'd much rather have everything in the same format for as much as the Kindle is able to view .PDF files if you know where I'm coming from?
simong6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by simong6 View Post
Hi,

i've a question regarding file conversion and format for thie Kindle. I don't actually own one at the moment but am looking to purchase within the next couple of days.

I have several large PDF files that I'm going to be looking at putting on to the Kindle and am wondering how I would go about converting them to .mobi files without losing the current page format on them. I've tried Calibre, but when I've opened the .mobi files in the Kindle for PC program the layout is all messed up and doesn't look as crisp as the original PDF, and the pictures contained in the .PDF don't appear in the correct places!

I know its anal, but I'd much rather have everything in the same format for as much as the Kindle is able to view .PDF files if you know where I'm coming from?
The kindle can display PDF files and does keep the formatting the same.

That usually means that the page is squeezed to fit the screen, or you have to pan around the page. Some PDF files have small enough pages that this works out. The 9.7" Kindle DX is more likely to do a better job of this than the 6" Kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
simong6

Thanks for that, but it doesn't look like I can get the DX here in the UK?

I suppose that I could always wait until September when I visit the US before I order it! Plus I even save some money that way!!

£111 or $135 with the current exchange rate it works out to be about £89!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simong6 View Post
Thanks for that, but it doesn't look like I can get the DX here in the UK?
It's not sold directly by "amazon.co.uk"; you have to order it from "amazon.com".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
simong6

Thanks for that I'l look into it!

Also, is it possible to disable the Kindle displaying the different covers whilst its in standby mode?
Advert