Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #121
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Nick and duuri,

Thanks for all of your hard work in digging up these new Prestigio firmware versions and upgrade tools!

I just returned from vacation and watched two videos on the plane - lots of audio sync problems.
When I got home and checked the forums, I found your messages.
Flashed the new 2.3.2 firmware and the same videos play perfectly!

Nick - I agree completely with your comments about the efforts by Prestigio to improve their product.

Thanks again,
Eric
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #122
GeoCenturion
GeoCenturion began at the beginning.

Device: Next1
WOW ! thanks ! the new 2.3.2 Firmware is perfect ! No more sync issues! No more having to convert the videos.
GeoCenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #123
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Optimized for the garbage? lol. (From the picture in nrapallo's msg) Not quite sure what that should mean. Never had any problems using the built in delete functions before - except for folders, it wouldn't let me delete those.

Just downloading the update now. I have yet to have any eBooks crash the book on me. Have you tried any of the ones you said you had problems with? Crashing due to to many hyperlinks in ePubs I think it was.

nrapallo: In wondering why the v2.2.2 img file was so much larger than other versions, I just noticed that the 2.2.2 img contains 2 BASE.RKW files; one in system00 and one in system. They are not the same size, and don't match any of the ones from the previous or new versions. Did you happen to notice this before?
2.3.2 is now only contains the one BASE.RKW file, the other in system00 is 0'd out, and is only ~93k.
Ya, kinda late to catch that now, but it is curious.

Last edited by DeadMan; 02-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #124
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post
Optimized for the garbage? lol. (From the picture in nrapallo's msg) Not quite sure what that should mean. Never had any problems using the built in delete functions before - except for folders, it wouldn't let me delete those.
Ya, that one was a weird translation; I tried converting the text using Yahoo Babelfish and it now reads as:
Quote:
Has carried on the optimization in view of some additive devices;
That File Explorer does have that limitation re: deleting folders, but is generally quite useful for locating a particular ebook or series of ebooks within your folder structure. I just wish they would allow the File Explorer icons shown to be better representative of the file extension of that file!

Quote:
Just downloading the update now. I have yet to have any eBooks crash the book on me. Have you tried any of the ones you said you had problems with? Crashing due to to many hyperlinks in ePubs I think it was.
The ebook functions contained with "ebook.bin" have not changed from v2.1.3 to the present v.2.3.2. The original Next1 firmware of 2.0.0 (aka 0.4.16) uses a smaller "ebook.bin" and I believe an earlier version. The newer versions still have issue with too many toc.ncx TOC links in level 1 (top level) but can be easily by-passed by creating level 2 TOC to put in many of the level 1 TOC entries into leaving less than the max level 1 ones.

All firmwares still have issues with too many images in a epub .i.e. 700+ images, but not so with too many hyperlinks. Too many hyperlinks (excl. toc.ncx level 1 TOC entries) have never caused an issue for me.

Quote:
nrapallo: In wondering why the v2.2.2 img file was so much larger than other versions, I just noticed that the 2.2.2 img contains 2 BASE.RKW files; one in system00 and one in system. They are not the same size, and don't match any of the ones from the previous or new versions. Did you happen to notice this before?
2.3.2 is now only contains the one BASE.RKW file, the other in system00 is 0'd out, and is only ~93k.
Ya, kinda late to catch that now, but it is curious.
I guess system00 is the older/previous system files and perhaps it is not needed so they just zeroed out the files. The Next1 original firmware had the same thing, but just v2.13 and v2.2.2 didn't follow that setup!

I know Prestigio want to reduce the power-on time to hold the on-off button down to 2 sec, but that is NOT yet implemented. It only is when the usb cable is plugged into the unit, so it should be possible. The Prestigio manual actually indicates you only need to hold it for 4 to 5 seconds, then after you release it it takes 2 to 3 sec for the startup image to appear...

Here's to the next firmware update...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #125
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those that don't have, but can still get a Next1 or Prestigio PER3072B, see this (Russian, I believe) unboxing of the PER3072B on YouTube:

Too bad he doesn't show how .pdf ebooks are easily handled by this device!!!
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #126
duuri
duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Prestigio 3072b
selecting correct charset in pdb,epub doesn't work for me and everytime i open a txt file i must select correct charset. It doesn't select correct charset and it doesn't remeber my selection i think i'm going back to 2.2.2 version...
but pdfs are working better, loading is faster and also page listing

Last edited by duuri; 02-20-2011 at 04:20 PM.
duuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #127
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuri View Post
but pdfs are working better, loading is faster and also page listing
Another problem with firmware v2.3.2 is that when reading PDF ebooks, they REPLACED the Catalog menu item with the new Re-alignment menu item!!!

ARRGH! PDF reflow is visually unappealing and not even required when your device CAN handle "rotate-and-zoom" to read better .pdf ebooks!!!!

Why replace it if it does a much needed job traversing the document, especially when the reader can't follow internal links nor has a touchscreen!!!!!!! They should just ADD another line to the Menu for Re-alignment.

If you read pdf ebooks and don't need to watch full-length movies on your device, go back to firmware v2.1.3 or v.2.2.2.

I'm torn but since I bought a "backup Next1" , I can have one at firmware v.2.3.2 for mostly reading epub/pdb/txt ebooks as well as viewing movies and the other for reading Google scanned ebooks and magazine/comic (colour) pdf ebooks!!!! A bit cumbersome, but will get me through until Prestigio fixes this HUGE faux pas!

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-20-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #128
LesB
LesB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo & Next1
Question Download v2.1.3 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Yes, I did. The firmware image I made was updated properly onto the Next1, but I wasn't pleased with the video support as another firmware v2.1.3 was better capable of viewing a wide variety of video formats/file. I've posted the firmware in my mediafire account as RK2729_v2.1.3.rar whereas the one I made of v2.2.2 has been uploaded there as well.

Try it out and tell me if it works better.

Hi - hoping to try out v2.1.3 (or whichever is deemed best at this time). Have been trying to find something like this since I got my Next1 at Christmas . Tried several times to get the file from the mediafire link above, but no luck - always a forbidden 403 - is there another way to get this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kudos to everyone on this - PMP is what I got it for, but was mis-advertised as movie-ready...

Last edited by LesB; 02-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.
LesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #129
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesB View Post
Tried several times to get the file from the mediafire link above, but no luck - always a forbidden 403 - is there another way to get this?
Does this direct link, RK2729_v2.1.3.rar, work? Then make sure you select, "Click here to start download.."

How about this http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vbukl750aptt9op or http://www.mediafire.com/?vbukl750aptt9op ?

Quote:
Kudos to everyone on this - PMP is what I got for, but was mis-advertised as movie-ready...
Why not try the v2.3.2 available here, that is http://marketing.prestigio.com/$Cust...17_VER.232.rar
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #130
LesB

Thanks Nick, but no matter which link I use cannot seem to get v2.1.3. I have successfully downloaded your other 2 files from that folder (v2.2.2 & Next1_Orig_v0.4.16) and now have v2.3.2 from the above link, but no matter what I do (even signed up for an account and tried when logged in...) I always get the following for that file...

" The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in.

What you can try:
Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help."

This is from the redirect (new window) to "http://download792.mediafire.com/dr63wnkx4r1g/vbukl750aptt9op/RK2729_v2.1.3.rar"

Does anything look wrong with the redirect to you?

Either way I have lots to play with right now, but kind of wanted to try each version to see which one fits my current needs best.

Last edited by LesB; 02-24-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #131
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesB View Post
This is from the redirect (new window) to "http://download792.mediafire.com/dr63wnkx4r1g/vbukl750aptt9op/RK2729_v2.1.3.rar"

Does anything look wrong with the redirect to you?
I see a similar download link, "http://download792.mediafire.com/8ur7otmale7g/vbukl750aptt9op/RK2729_v2.1.3.rar", so it could be your browser/firewall/anti-virus is interfering with that link...

Try downloading from another computer (work, spouse, friend, ...)!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #132
LesB

OK - here is how I got the file - finally (I had used another laptop this morning - no luck)

On MediaFire there is a feature to "Save to my Account" - under the "Click here to download.." beside "Subscribe to this folder".

It copied to my account when I was logged in, and then I could download from my account ... weird that your link never really liked me - but I'm sure it was not personal ("Personal" Computer is such a misnomer ... really nothing personal about them)

Thanks for the cycles looking into that

Last edited by LesB; 02-25-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #133
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Here's a little oddity I just came across. I can only guess it happened after the upgrade to 2.3.2.

This mess is in one of the sub folders in my eBook directory. Nothing I do will get rid of these. They do not take up any space at all on the internal memory. They cannot be view in anyway, and are empty files despite the crazy file sizes (and dates).

I have tried re-flashing to the other firmwares, but have not tried going back to the original Next1 firmware yet. That will be my next step.

It's not affecting how it works in anyway and is just a minor annoyance for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110226-01.png
Views:	536
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	67369  
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #134
duuri
duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Prestigio 3072b
i wrote to [restigio techsupport and i finally got response :

Dear Juraj xxx .

Thanks for contacting Prestigio support

Thanks for your response. We will try to fix all these bugs in our new firmware.

In case if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

With best regards, Alexey.

At 19/03/11 17:5 you wrote:
Hi, i recently discovered new firmware for per3072b on you support site.. i was very happy about that but after i fleshed it to my device i found few bugs in it.. function to recognize correct charset in documents (pdb,txt..) is not working it doesn't recognize charset and when i choose it manually (by pdb files) it doens't work correctly.. special character for my language (slovak) or for czech are not displayed correctly. If i choose charset manually by txt file it's working but it doesn't save that settings and i have to do it every time i open same tx file..and there is also a small glitch in mneu where i can choose charset, i must push down button to get list of charset displayed. Will be there new version of firmware? to correct those bugs? i'm very satisfied with my device and this new firmware (beside those bugs) is very good, it's faster and also movies are played very well..maybe htere can be added support for subtitles. Juraj
duuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #135
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuri View Post
maybe there can be added support for subtitles. Juraj

They do have existing support for .lrc music lyrics to be displayed along with music playing, so it would be a great feature to add and then have the subtitles displayed while playing movies!!!

Also, I wish in any new firmware version, that they would put back the "Catalog" menu item for .pdf ebooks.

Duuri, have you seen/used any other Prestigio ebook reader like yours that has touchscreen support? NOW THAT would be a killer device...

Tags
next1, nextbook, per3072b, prestigio