Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I found a backup..[that]...showed the exact same 2.6.35.3....so I'm afraid your wonderful discovery is not the key to our problems.
Thanks to you and PeterT for your feedback. I'm afraid we're second guessing here. There is no proof that the numbers in the text file correlate to the kernel version only that they are similar which is why I asked earlier if anyone knew how to *definitively* determine the kernel version (i.e. maybe those that have shell access and could issue a uname command). All I can say is that I have hashed the uImages in 1.9.14, 1.9.17 and 2.1.5 and they are all different which suggests changes of some sort.

Footnote: As of tonight I have mains charged my new Kobo and set it to sleep only after 15 mins (no power off). I'll report back my findings re battery.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
So all of these show the 2.6.35.3 code
Thanks for taking the trouble to check all your f/w backups and post your findings. Fom a development perspective it makes a lot of sense to find a kernel that works and stick with it whilst "improvements" are made to everything else, if indeed this is what Kobo are doing. But I'm beginning to think that this text file has no bearing on what's actually being employed other than a passing similarity.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Busybox gives you the uname command, so if you have telnet, uname -a should give the kernel version.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Busybox gives you the uname command, so if you have telnet, uname -a should give the kernel version.
But only if BsuyBox was complied with uname support
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Footnote: As of tonight I have mains charged my new Kobo and set it to sleep only after 15 mins (no power off). I'll report back my findings re battery.
I wonder!

This thread might have some handy info. It's a big collection of numbers. Mostly hardware, but it also 'analyses' the version file so it might help you conclude that 'the' number is not the kernel version.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #21
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
There was (maybe still is, but I cannot find it now) a list of the enabled busybox commands in FW 1.9.5 or so.
Spoiler:
Currently defined functions:
[, [[, acpid, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, arp, arping, ash, awk, basename, beep,
blkid, bootchartd, brctl, bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat, catv, chat, chattr,
chgrp, chmod, chown, chpasswd, chpst, chroot, chrt, chvt, cksum, clear, cmp,
comm, cp, cpio, crond, crontab, cryptpw, cttyhack, cut, date, dc, dd, deallocvt,
delgroup, deluser, depmod, devmem, df, dhcprelay, diff, dirname, dmesg, dnsd,
dnsdomainname, dos2unix, du, dumpkmap, dumpleases, echo, ed, egrep, eject, env,
envdir, envuidgid, ether-wake, expand, expr, fakeidentd, false, fbset, fbsplash,
fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgconsole, fgrep, find, findfs, flock, fold, free,
freeramdisk, fsck, fsck.minix, fsync, ftpd, ftpget, ftpput, fuser, getopt, getty,
grep, gunzip, gzip, halt, hd, hdparm, head, hexdump, hostid, hostname, httpd,
hush, hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifenslave, ifplugd, ifup, inetd, init,
insmod, install, ionice, ip, ipaddr, ipcalc, ipcrm, ipcs, iplink, iproute,
iprule, iptunnel, kbd_mode, kill, killall, killall5, klogd, last, length, less,
linux32, linux64, linuxrc, ln, loadfont, loadkmap, logger, login, logname,
logread, losetup, lpd, lpq, lpr, ls, lsattr, lsmod, lspci, lsusb, lzcat, lzma,
lzop, lzopcat, makedevs, makemime, man, md5sum, mdev, mesg, microcom, mkdir,
mkdosfs, mke2fs, mkfifo, mkfs.ext2, mkfs.ext3, mkfs.minix, mkfs.vfat, mknod,
mkpasswd, mkswap, mktemp, modinfo, modprobe, more, mount, mountpoint, mt, mv,
nameif, nc, netstat, nice, nmeter, nohup, nslookup, ntpd, od, openvt, passwd,
patch, pgrep, pidof, ping, ping6, pipe_progress, pivot_root, pkill, popmaildir,
poweroff, printenv, printf, ps, pscan, pwd, raidautorun, rdate, rdev, readahead,
readlink, readprofile, realpath, reboot, reformime, renice, reset, resize, rev,
rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm, rpm2cpio, rtcwake, run-parts, runlevel, runsv,
runsvdir, rx, script, scriptreplay, sed, sendmail, seq, setarch, setconsole,
setfont, setkeycodes, setlogcons, setsid, setuidgid, sh, sha1sum, sha256sum,
sha512sum, showkey, slattach, sleep, smemcap, softlimit, sort, split,
start-stop-daemon, stat, strings, stty, su, sulogin, sum, sv, svlogd, swapoff,
swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl, syslogd, tac, tail, tar, tcpsvd, tee, telnet,
telnetd, test, tftp, tftpd, time, timeout, top, touch, tr, traceroute,
traceroute6, true, tty, ttysize, tunctl, udhcpc, udhcpd, udpsvd, umount, uname,
unexpand, uniq, unix2dos, unlzma, unlzop, unxz, unzip, uptime, usleep, uudecode,
uuencode, vconfig, vi, vlock, volname, wall, watch, watchdog, wc, wget, which,
who, whoami, xargs, xz, xzcat, yes, zcat, zcip
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #22
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Have you tried not using (auto) off-mode? How's battery life in sleep without a planned off-moment?
Quote:
A fair point. It could be that when it fails to trigger a full power-off then I may end up experiencing what you and others are reporting (certainly this would be more consistent).
Totally anecdotal, but I suspected something similar with my 2.1.5 Glo a few months back. Never tried troubleshooting or even confirming the problem – it was one of those annoying "is it really doing what I think it's doing" head-scratchers that I never overtly addressed.

In the end, my solution was to just disable power-off entirely, which seemed to solve things.
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
This thread might have some handy info. It's a big collection of numbers. Mostly hardware, but it also 'analyses' the version file so it might help you conclude that 'the' number is not the kernel version.
Thank you. I have looked at that thread before when it was ~3 pages long. However other than some speculation there's nothing that actually identifies the kernel used. Good thought though
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
There was (maybe still is, but I cannot find it now) a list of the enabled busybox commands in FW 1.9.5 or so.
That's a useful list, thanks. I can't see that being reduced so it looks like those who've enabled shell access could provide kernel data for us (Like Mrs_Often, I'm leaving mine on a power test ATM).
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #25
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Results thus far:

Yesterday I fully charged the KT on mains, disabled power-off and set it to sleep after 15 mins. Having took it off the mains after ~5 hours, I read for 10 minutes then knocked it into sleep at 1am this morning still indicating 100%. I just checked it again at 1pm (+12 hours) and it's down to an indicated 91%, which is considerably more than I expected. I'll continue for a few more days ....

Update: I should have tried this simultaneously with the "old" touch to compare. I'll set this up now.

Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-08-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Linux (none) 2.6.35.3-850-gbc67621+ #325 PREEMPT Wed May 23 09:35:44 CST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Edit: there is some interesting information (link)

Last edited by tshering; 02-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #27
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

OK thanks for reporting that - and for the info link What software version are you running on your touch as a matter of interest?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #28
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
What software version are you running on your touch as a matter of interest?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #29
madchen
madchen began at the beginning.

I have a Kobo Touch but my battery icon does not include the actual percentage remaining, it's just an image of the shaded battery. Is this a new feature in a later firmware version perhaps? I currently on 2.something...
madchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Madchen: in the latest firmware you just click on the settings menu at the top right to see battery percentage (among other things). Not sure about previous firmware versions.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote