Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
hashanga
hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, B&N Nook HD+
Unhappy Paperwhite 2 in Boot Loop -- Please Help

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I did something something really stupid. I replaced the /usr/bin/mesquitecp with an edited version hoping to download PDFs from browser.(I have a backup).

After restarting, now the device is stuck in a bootloop that runs about 4 times before going to te "Repair Needed" screen. I can access the device in mass storage mode for ~30 seconds.

The PW2 was running FW: 5.4.2. I had installed Jailbreak, KUL, KTERM and usbnetworking.

I tried activating the 'auto' mode of usbnetworing but it gives the error message :
"N E failed to set usb0 ip, this is bad"
in the loading screen (tree with progressbar). And ssh gives a "Connection refused" error.

I also tried to use ixtab's RUNME.sh method with this script
Spoiler:

test -f /mnt/us/RUNME.done && exit
mntroot rw
echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
rm /usr/bin/mesquite
cp /mnt/us/mesquite /usr/bin/
cp /mnt/us/mesquite /usr/bin/mesquite
echo doing my things.
cp /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/default.properties /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/jb.properties
mntroot ro
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done

But as it seems, that method doesn't work with PW2.

Is there any working methods to run a script in a jailbroken kindle paperwhite 2 when booting?
usbnetwork script seems to run automatically.Is there any way to edit a file and in usbnetworking to inject/run my (fixing)script ?

Please help me

Thanks in advance
hashanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Cf. #529, #530 & #531 for more context .

I you're using the latest release of USBNet, the usbnet error mesage probably stems from the fact that you're booting the device while it is plugged in. Don't. Plug it in just after ssh starts (which should be right around the time the spinner disappears, in case you haven't setup usbnet in verbose mode, and thus don't have the eips print to guide you).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
hashanga
hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.hashanga is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW2, B&N Nook HD+
Smile

@NiLuJe

Thanks alot for your quick reply. Had I not realized that your usbnet config file was a script file, I'd still be stuck in the bootloop..

I don't think i could have connected the usb cable after usbnetwork initialized since the device would restart within 30 seconds or so.

For your question asked in your thread: how i broke it - I tried to edit the /usr/bin/mesquitecp file (using kterm) hoping to download PDF files directly from the browser (I have the PW2 wifi version). In doing so i have changed the offsets/file size. I forgot that it's a binary file.
So after the initial restart, the device went on restarting itself..

Yes i was using the latest(nightly/unstable) version of usbnetworking.

I didn't know till you mentioned in your thread that putting an emergency.sh script in usbnet/bin/ would autorun on startup.

So what i did was replacing the modified file with the backup version by editing usbnetworking config script.

Thanks again NiLuJe for making these amazing methods available. Hope others too would be able to use your scripts as a place to autorun their scripts on boot in case they cant get their devices boot properly.

I also think this method would work as an alternative to the RUNME.sh method that had worked in some previous devices.
hashanga is offline   Reply With Quote