Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
I'm not sure, is this it?
Source

Yes, that's the Kindle coverage map. Looks like most/all of Croatia has EDGE coverage with 3G in a few areas.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineXVI View Post
In my opinion, assuming you have coverage in your area, the free web browsing and not having to worry about being in Wifi range for Whispersync easily justifies the extra $50 on the 3G model.
Agree! In my case I've got the 3G capable KDXG and browsing with 3G in Arlington, TX sucks. AT&T is headquartered in Dallas, and yet we have a terrible 3G infrastructure in the metro. But where the coverage is good and the infrastructure is good, the added cost would be justifiable.
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, that's the Kindle coverage map. Looks like most/all of Croatia has EDGE coverage with 3G in a few areas.
This is where I got my information: http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/07/...-coverage-map/
Maybe the map is not up to date?
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
i noticed that the 3g version of the kindle 3 is 2/10 of an ounce heavier than the wifi version. it's logical that the wifi and the 3g version share the same shell but the 3g chip is omitted from the wifi only model. i couldn't walk around knowing something was missing from my kindle!!

i totally pre-ordered the 3g/wifi version and a new black leather cover. is it august 27th yet?

karl
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
3G is a no-brainer if you have coverage, and also don't have a cellphone data plan. I was very happy with the web browser when I tried it (basic web, images turned off, mobile sites only).

Like if you're traveling and want to look up something. Or vacationing where there's no wi-fi. Or for a poor man's map, you can use Kindlemap,net or Google Maps for driving directions.

A couple of years ago, we'd have paid many times that extra $50 for lifetime (we hope) mobile 3G internet.

Oh yeah, there's also ordering books without a computer.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I ordered the 3G version. Syncing the furthest page read is very important for me since I also read on my iPad and laptop. I kept envisioning reading somewhere on the K3, not being near wifi, and then later not having the furthest page sync. That and the flexibility of being able to buy a book where ever was worth the $50 (and slightly heavier Kindle) for me.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where's the poll?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
aleccj1
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where's the poll?
Just added it .
Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #24
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
If I get a kindle (which I think I will), I would get the wifi only. I am not sure how the 3G would work in Canada, and I don't want to pay extra for my ebooks. If I need to browse I will use my phone.

Can you use the wifi to download directly to your kindle? I was going to try using my Dad's US address to see if I can bypass the extra fee. If not I will just have to download to my computer and then transfer (can I transfer or sync via wifi?).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #25
aleccj1
Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
If I get a kindle (which I think I will), I would get the wifi only. I am not sure how the 3G would work in Canada, and I don't want to pay extra for my ebooks. If I need to browse I will use my phone.

Can you use the wifi to download directly to your kindle? I was going to try using my Dad's US address to see if I can bypass the extra fee. If not I will just have to download to my computer and then transfer (can I transfer or sync via wifi?).
Yes, the Wi-Fi is meant for downloading directly onto the Kindle. I would be really surprised if there were fees from downloading books through Wi-Fi in Canada, because Amazon isn't paying for the Wi-Fi.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm seriously considering foregoing the iPad and getting a new K3+3G instead. My K1 still works fine, but the K3 improvements are awfully attractive.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Wifi+3g For me.

I've never been out of a 3g area, but I'm far too often not in an area with an open wifi network, so that's that.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #28
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
wifi only for me. Honestly, coming from a sony, I couldn't care less whether it had wireless at all, I was going after the pearl screen!
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #29
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
WiFi only this time. A perfect companion to the DXG.

AT&T is just lousy in my neighborhood (typically zero bars) and I have rarely used Sprint/AT&T on my other Kindles. I also prefer browsing books on a large, wide-screen monitor. Primary use for the new K(3) will be for traveling/on the go and it will already be loaded up with more books that I can possibly read.

Last edited by Skydog; 07-29-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #30
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
There should be another option on the poll.

"Neither, my K2/K1 is fine for me."

BUT, if I were buying my first Kindle, I would go with the 3G/WiFi option. Nothing better than standing in the airport bookshop and downloading the book in front of me for a lot less than the sale price.

With the collections update on the K2, I don't see enough changes to warrant an upgrade to the K3. Maybe next year.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote