Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Sunborn: an update

You folks were all very supportive when I released my novels as ebooks last year, so I just wanted to bring you up to date on where my books are heading. First of all, Sunborn will be out as a Tor mass market paperback on December 28, just in time for Christmas (if you happen to celebrate the full twelve days of Christmas, that is). I got that date from Amazon, but they're usually my best source of information on that sort of thing.

Secondly, still no word on when an official Sunborn ebook will be out from Tor. Every time I ask, I hear, we're working on it, and it'll be soon. I'm trying not to lose heart on that, but it's hard. On the other hand, it's still available from me as a free download (along with the first three books in The Chaos Chronicles series), so that needn't keep any of you from getting a copy in the ebook flavor of your choice.

Finally, last spring I plugged the release of my other novels as e-reads ebooks at Fictionwise and Baen Webscription. I thought you might like to know that the books really are selling there. Not selling like Dan Brown or Orson Scott Card, but still selling. That's another way of saying, I finally saw some royalties from my commercial ebook sales. (I believe this is largely due to the promotional effect of the free ebooks, as several of those titles had been available for years before without ever really selling.) I'm guessing that a lot of those sales were to folks right here. I just wanted to say thanks!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
That's great news!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations on the great news

And the biggest for sharing your books and keeping us informed!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
Wonderful News!!! I must admit that I was one of those that was hooked by your free downloads. After reading The Chaos Chronicles series I went to Fictionwise and purchased nearly all over your books. Thanks for taking a chance with your hard work.
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congrats. And Thank you! I've always enjoyed your work.

Thanks for making this available as a free download!

Last edited by kennyc; 12-13-2009 at 07:39 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Thanks for making things available for free and also for having your books on fictionwise as non-DRM'd multiformat. With their massive end-of-year sale combine with the 25% off coupon I just bought all your stuff there.

One question -- the Star Rigger series has books 1-4 and 6 available at Fictionwise, but no 5, which I believe is Eternity's End. Do you plan on releasing that one too? I hate missing books from a series -- I feel obligated to read things in order and won't finish until I get the missing book.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well done, Jeffrey; that's excellent news. Delighted to hear that things are going so well for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're all very welcome, and I appreciate your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
One question -- the Star Rigger series has books 1-4 and 6 available at Fictionwise, but no 5, which I believe is Eternity's End. Do you plan on releasing that one too? I hate missing books from a series -- I feel obligated to read things in order and won't finish until I get the missing book.

-Marcy
Eternity's End is actually available for free download from my website.

Use the link in my signature below for free ebooks.

The sequence doesn't matter too much in the Star Rigger books, except for Dragons in the Stars, which you should read before Dragon Rigger. The others are pretty much standalone.

The only book of mine that is not currently available as an ebook is Alien Speedway, and that's in the works. (It's not solely my property, and the rights are trickier on that one.)
Old 12-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Congratulations! Now can you get Tor to figure out how to properly do eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Congratulations! Now can you get Tor to figure out how to properly do eBooks?
I wish. But I can tell you that at least part of the delay is their desire for DRM-free books, and the difficulty in getting various other parties to support that. That said, they're taking way too long.

But they probably think I'm taking too long to finish my next book, too. And they're right.

This fall I've been teaching more than writing. My own annual workshop, plus I taught the SF writing course at MIT after Joe Haldeman became ill. Haven't gotten much writing of my own done, I'm afraid. I'm trying to get back to it now.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I wish. But I can tell you that at least part of the delay is their desire for DRM-free books, and the difficulty in getting various other parties to support that. That said, they're taking way too long.

But they probably think I'm taking too long to finish my next book, too. And they're right.

This fall I've been teaching more than writing. My own annual workshop, plus I taught the SF writing course at MIT after Joe Haldeman became ill. Haven't gotten much writing of my own done, I'm afraid. I'm trying to get back to it now.
Want me to come over and remove all of your "distractions"?

As for Tor, are they in bed with Amazon?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Want me to come over and remove all of your "distractions"?
Yeah, maybe.

Quote:
As for Tor, are they in bed with Amazon?
Not sure what you mean. They're planning to sell through the Kindle store, of course. They'd be crazy not to. Beyond that, I can't offer much information.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'm glad to hear your books are doing well and am waiting anxiously for your next one. You are one of my favorite authors.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I'm glad to hear your books are doing well and am waiting anxiously for your next one. You are one of my favorite authors.
Thank you!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Congratulations on your eBook sales I know you put a lot of effor on creating the eBooks and a lot of reworking them from customer feedback. It's good to are your hard work pay off.
I'm not sure if I can get excited about Tor they say all the right things but fail to put anything to action. Its been a year since they promised the release of their web site.
Anyhow this post is about you not Tor so again congrats
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-15-2009 at 09:18 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote