Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The iPad mini specs are god-awful. I was really surprised they would put out garbage like that. And for way more money than its competitors who all house better hardware.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
With those specs, for the wi-fi version, I'd personally go no more than $250 for the 16 GB version - but only if I were already invested in the iOS ecosystem. At $329, however, there isn't a chance in Hell that I'd ever go near one. I'll stick with a Nexus 7 (assuming they ever go down to $209 for 16GB at any of the stores 'round here so that I don't have to order online - the asking price seems to be $239 at the shops - otherwise I'll probably end up with a Kobo Arc :/)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
With those specs, for the wi-fi version, I'd personally go no more than $250 for the 16 GB version - but only if I were already invested in the iOS ecosystem. At $329, however, there isn't a chance in Hell that I'd ever go near one. I'll stick with a Nexus 7 (assuming they ever go down to $209 for 16GB at any of the stores 'round here so that I don't have to order online - the asking price seems to be $239 at the shops - otherwise I'll probably end up with a Kobo Arc :/)
Yeah, I love iOS, but I have no interest in a mini at $329. At $250, I'd get one, but that's the highest I could forsee spending on it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #19
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Well I have to differ with the title of this thread.

Apple has amazed me. It has outdone itself with audacity and greed trying to suck more money out of its customers for a sub-par product. Usually it does that with products that are pretty good though overpriced. This tablet is not any good and is still overpriced.

Plumb amazing!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
...that is fantastic.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And they still sold out of the silly things.

I love my iPad and was willing to take a look at the Mini for my parents. They are far too expensive and the specs seem to be awful. Why bother?

But they sold millions of the WiFi only ones on day one so there is a market for them.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
They are far too expensive and the specs seem to be awful. Why bother?
Indeed. The screen is a let down, and the internals are 18 months old (when you think that the ipad3 was made obsolete after only 7 months, this gives you an idea what 18 months signifies in this industry). The price is not justified, the cost is $188 and it's been sold at 42% margin (and significantly larger for the 32GB and 64GB models).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote