Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I do think the face time thing is awesome for the deaf.
Not to mention a boon for the telesex industry...face indeed!

I'm enough of a tech geek that I want it for no reason other than it's newer, faster, slimmer, better... but having an iPad I find I use the phone much less for anything other than talking and tethering. I'll get one eventually but I'm in no hurry.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
I think there are many people in the same boat as me. I have the original iPhone and while neither the 3G or 3Gs offered enough of a change to justify another 2 year contract...the iPhone 4 was able to squeak out the justification for me.

I think there were lots of iPhone1 users who skipped the 3G upgrade but are jumping on the iPhone4 boat...plus many people with the 3G are probably also upgrading just to have the newest phone. I bet that combined with new users figuring this was a good time to test the waters had an effect on the large number of pre-orders.

The iPad style speakerphone speaker was a big factor for me, the iphone1 had crappy volume on it's speaker. The iPad has great volume so I am banking on the iphone4 being loud enough for me. That combined with the better screen resolution, and all the little extras the 3G has that I didn't need, but would like..all combined to make it an easy to justify purchase for me.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I did forget to mention is that Apple is also very much at fault here. By making the exclusive deal with AT&T, they've caused AT&T's network to become overly congested. Now if Apple was to allow Verizon, T-Mobile, & Sprint to also have access to the iPad & iPhone, then the congestion will surely lesson as people switch from AT&T. Plus, it would give competition as far as pricing goes and maybe AT&T would once again offer their unlimited data plan.
Agree, and wish that would change. I get good service from AT&T, so no real complaints. But I know things improve for the customer when there is competition. What we don't know of course is exactly what kind of binding contract Apple and AT&T have......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Not to mention a boon for the telesex industry...face indeed!
I'm so naive I didn't even think of that
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
This is really no suprise after the iPad launch.

If you preorder you can always sell the next day on ebay with a guaranteed win of
120% - 150%.
So if you pre-order 2-3 you can be sure to make at least no loss and have a very big chance that you get at least 1 device for free (better said "as profit").

So it is absolutly clear that preorders will be big as usual.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
at least in the US apple is limiting pre-orders to 1 per person. and there is no such thing as a "guaranteed win of 120% - 150%". granted it's likely to sell for above what you paid, but it certainly isn't guaranteed.

i haven't decided if i'm going to keep my pre-order or sell it..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
there are what, 50 something million out in the world. apple thought 600k would be enough for opening day?
I wouldn't expect them to actually sell/reserve their entire launch day stock online. They will hold back a large chunk of stock for the stores themselves like they did with the 3GS launch. Easily on the order of another 400k at a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I did forget to mention is that Apple is also very much at fault here. By making the exclusive deal with AT&T, they've caused AT&T's network to become overly congested. Now if Apple was to allow Verizon, T-Mobile, & Sprint to also have access to the iPad & iPhone, then the congestion will surely lesson as people switch from AT&T. Plus, it would give competition as far as pricing goes and maybe AT&T would once again offer their unlimited data plan.
Keep in mind there are reasons why cell phone makers make exclusivity deals with carriers: To get the phone out onto the market. Apple was brand new into this market, and had to convince a carrier to take their device, and at the same time, try to eek out demands from that same carrier (allow Apple to upgrade the software, allow home activations via iTunes, no MO branding on the device, etc). Stuff that is more common now, but at the time would be hard for a new player to get. That exclusivity agreement is what AT&T got in exchange for giving up control of the phone itself to Apple.

Verizon is also a bit of a problem as they were apparently given the opportunity to enter into that agreement before AT&T was. Verizon said no, and has done a poor job keeping a control freak like SJ happy with them after the fact (mocking the iPhone in your ads is not a great way to convince that CEO to come to your network with the device). There's more than the technical issues here when Verizon may have burned a few bridges with Apple in their dealings.

Last edited by Kolenka; 06-18-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
at least in the US apple is limiting pre-orders to 1 per person. and there is no such thing as a "guaranteed win of 120% - 150%". granted it's likely to sell for above what you paid, but it certainly isn't guaranteed.

i haven't decided if i'm going to keep my pre-order or sell it..
You know scottjl there are People out there with friends and family and even for those whithout any of that, it is possible to get more then one credit card.

So you'll maybe understand why it will be not only possible but also extremly easy to undergo apples funny 1 order per person rule.

I know someone who bought at least 20 iPads while the 1 order per person was still up.

And if you are able to follow up auctions at ebay which a 6year old should Be able to do so combined with the hype of the fanatic fans around the world, especially in countries where the New toy won't be released in the Next time there is a profit guaranteed.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I sincerely hope that nobody here will buy an iPhone with the aim of immediately selling it at an inflated price. Such profiteering does nothing other than to deprive someone with a legitimate wish to have one from getting one at the retail price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
You know scottjl there are People out there with friends and family and even for those whithout any of that, it is possible to get more then one credit card.

So you'll maybe understand why it will be not only possible but also extremly easy to undergo apples funny 1 order per person rule.

I know someone who bought at least 20 iPads while the 1 order per person was still up.

And if you are able to follow up auctions at ebay which a 6year old should Be able to do so combined with the hype of the fanatic fans around the world, especially in countries where the New toy won't be released in the Next time there is a profit guaranteed.
yawn. you really want kenny's troll title don't you? keep at it!

why is it when we just get rid of one, another one pops up in its place? it's like whack a mole.. or more like whack an idiot.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
yawn. you really want kenny's troll title don't you? keep at it!

why is it when we just get rid of one, another one pops up in its place? it's like whack a mole.. or more like whack an idiot.

Ad hominem attacks and slurs are strictly contrary to MR Guidelines. Repeats of same may result in removal of access to MR. Responses of "But he/she said..." will not be entertained.

MR Moderating Team
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote