Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
dcarlozzi
dcarlozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, iPad
Red face backing up Calibre folder on USB drive

can a new book folder addition to the Calibre main folder on one computer be copied and pasted into the backup Calibre folder that is kept on a usb drive or does the whole main Calibre folder need to be recopied to preserve the metadata?
dcarlozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlozzi View Post
can a new book folder addition to the Calibre main folder on one computer be copied and pasted into the backup Calibre folder that is kept on a usb drive or does the whole main Calibre folder need to be recopied to preserve the metadata?
Yes, you can update individual folders and to make sure metadata is also kept current, backup the metadata.db file also. There is a discussion of various ways to back up calibre here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
dcarlozzi
dcarlozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, iPad
Red face re: backing up Calibre folder on USB drive

Thank you for the reply. So, let's say, if I add one new book to my library on my desktop, I go into the desktop Calibre folder and copy the new book folder and the metadata file (icon) and just past them into the Calibre backup folder on the USB drive and that will do it?
dcarlozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would use an intelligent copy program such as RichCopy to sync your Calibre Library with the USB stick and set it to copy any changed files and also remove any books from the USB stick that no longer exist in your Calibre library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlozzi View Post
Thank you for the reply. So, let's say, if I add one new book to my library on my desktop, I go into the desktop Calibre folder and copy the new book folder and the metadata file (icon) and just past them into the Calibre backup folder on the USB drive and that will do it?
In theory, yes. That said, there is a lot of room for error. For example, your method will not deal with deleted books, converted books, or books with changed authors or titles.

You would be much better off using a replicator to copy the calibre folder structure. These programs will look for changes and copy only the files that need to be copied. Most of them can (optionally) delete files that have been removed from the source. If you are using Windows, then free ones I have used are xcopy, Microsoft synctoy, and Karen's Replicator (which I prefer because of its good logging), but there are many more. Some replicators support scheduling, if that is of interest.

First set up the source and target folders in the replicator. Then to make a copy, stop calibre, then run the replicator. Your USB storage will then have an accurate copy.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote