Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
PDF check request on BeBook

Hello all,

I would really appreciate anyone's help. I am about to start studies in Zend Framework and i would need to know how Zend's PDF on the topic is readable in BeBook:

http://www.majgaj.com/zend.pdf

I would like to know the following:

1. Screenshots of the pages in vertical and portrait mode
2. How long does it load each page

Thank you in advance for any help!
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I loaded the file on my BeBook, and I got the message "Not support encrypted file".
Any ideas what causes this?
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The file is encrypted with the standard (excuse me Password) security handler, but with no "Open" password. It looks like your BeBook doesn't support this.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How come it opens up on my computer but wouldn't open in BeBook?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
spaze
Addict

And another question in he same issue: What software do people use to remove these access passwords?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
spaze
Addict

AlfonsVH, what firmware version are you running on your BeBook?

I managed to decrypt the file, so the new version is now available at the same URL.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
AlfonsVH, what firmware version are you running on your BeBook?
The newest BeBook bèta available at http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1505

I'll post pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
AlfonsVH
Addict

Ok I managed to open the decrypted file on my BeBook.

At the minimum zoom level, the PDF is surprisingly readable. Same thing in landscape mode, although the letters are a bit too small to be really comfortable.

Reflow works fine, except for some schematics and text blocks, so you'll have to be careful that you don't skip things without realizing it. (go back to the lowest zoom level to check)

See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acl.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	34002   Click image for larger version

Name:	incomplete.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	933.7 KB
ID:	34003   Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	34004   Click image for larger version

Name:	zend-auth.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	619.0 KB
ID:	34005   Click image for larger version

Name:	zend.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	741.6 KB
ID:	34006   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoomin.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	1,019.4 KB
ID:	34007  
Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
spaze
Addict

AlfonsVH,

Thanks of ryour time. I really appreciate your help and this is why I love this forum. So many helpful people here

This is really good news for me, as this is the kind of PDF files I have mostly. So it seems that PDF is a good format for BeBook after all.

Just on more question. How long did it take to load the book and how long does it take to flip pages?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
Thanks of ryour time. I really appreciate your help and this is why I love this forum. So many helpful people here
You're very welcome!

Quote:
This is really good news for me, as this is the kind of PDF files I have mostly. So it seems that PDF is a good format for BeBook after all.
The newest firmware update does indeed have much better support for PDF than previous versions.
However, it still varies between different PDFs, so don't be too sure that PDF is really such a good format.
You might be better off converting some PDFs to Mobipocket or ePub.

Quote:
Just on more question. How long did it take to load the book and how long does it take to flip pages?
Opening the book takes about 6 seconds, and flipping the pages takes around 3 seconds, depending on the contents (graphics take a bit longer).
Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
spaze
Addict

That is so nice that BeBook gets firmware updates all the time, making it better and better. I can't wait to get mine No more reading with my laptop or printing hundreds of pages with my laser printer...
Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
That is so nice that BeBook gets firmware updates all the time, making it better and better. I can't wait to get mine No more reading with my laptop or printing hundreds of pages with my laser printer...
Well, "all the time" might be a bit of an exageration: we waited since february for this one

However, Openinkpot is a very nice alternative firmware.
Let's hope they incorporate PDF reflow soon!