Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: see signature
T68 - a few issues

Hi all,

I have had my T68 for a couple of weeks now (purchased via Booxter's store), and am about 80% happy with it.

I have tried a few of the reading apps I use on other devices, but think I will stick with the Onyx Reader.

I do still have a few questions and issues.

1. The updates don't seem to be available to me. My build no. is
2014-06-20_11-50_1.5.0_36c2d29 I have tried removing the SD card (assume that is the external one with all my books on it) but still no joy. I had hoped to find the updates under http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads, but there is nothing listed for the T68.

2. Fonts. Is it possible to add extra fonts so that they show up in the Onyx Reader? I looked up a manual at http://www.onyx-international.com/en....php?serial=45 and the instructions are " Users can download fonts online, then copy the fonts to the folder “/adobe/resources/fonts”on MicroSD card. Users can select the installed fonts when reading, but the fonts are only available for some book formats." I don't seem to have that folder on the device.

3. Possibly the biggest annoyance (other than the mis-alignment of the touch screen) is the dictionary definition that comes up when using the Onyx Reader. The definition is in English, but Chinese characters are interspersed every few words. Very disconcerting.

Under Settings>Language>Keyboard & Input methods both the Android keyboard (English US) and what looks like a Chinese one are selected and I cant unselect either option. Under Settings>Language>Dictionary I have the Oxford-gb.idx chosen. I've fiddled about a bit (changing to UK English, or un-ticking the Use system language option) but no joy.

Other observations: The Pocketbook reader wont install on the T68. Mantano is very usable once you turn off page animation. The page refreshing within the Kindle app really does my head in!

Any suggestions to help with my three issues gratefully received.

Last edited by mvo; 07-23-2014 at 01:53 AM. Reason: fix typos
mvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvo View Post
Hi all,

I have had my T68 for a couple of weeks now (purchased via Booxter's store), and am about 80% happy with it.

I have tried a few of the reading apps I use on other devices, but think I will stick with the Onyx Reader.

I do still have a few questions and issues.

1. The updates don't seem to be available to me.
Try this link.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
Re. the dictionaries, download something like Stardict, for example one of these:https://sites.google.com/site/gtongu...t-dictionaries and put them in the T68 storage/sdcard/dictionary.

You can then select those and delete the chinglese one.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
2. Fonts. Is it possible to add extra fonts so that they show up in the Onyx Reader? ... I don't seem to have that folder on the device.
You may simply have to create it yourself. Same deal on my Aura HD; I have to put them in the '/fonts' directory on the device, and I had to create it myself. Once I did and put my fonts in it, they worked.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
mvo
Connoisseur
mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mvo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Try this link.
Great, thanks, it worked - cant believe I missed that...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #6
mvo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You may simply have to create it yourself. Same deal on my Aura HD; I have to put them in the '/fonts' directory on the device, and I had to create it myself. Once I did and put my fonts in it, they worked.
Yes, that worked, many thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
mvo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
Re. the dictionaries, download something like Stardict, for example one of these:https://sites.google.com/site/gtongu...t-dictionaries and put them in the T68 storage/sdcard/dictionary.

You can then select those and delete the chinglese one.
Thanks McGonigle, I'll have a look at this tomorrow. Looks as though dictionaries are a whole new aspect to research...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
EricArcadia
Connoisseur
EricArcadia began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 (2013), Nook Glowlight with Simple Touch
Quote:

Other observations: The Pocketbook reader wont install on the T68. Mantano is very usable once you turn off page animation. The page refreshing within the Kindle app really does my head in!

Any suggestions to help with my three issues gratefully received.

You can't turn animations off the Kindle app is appears for now. So if you want to use that app you'll have to live with the animations, but have you tried the Moon+Reader app? That works great for me.
EricArcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricArcadia View Post
You can't turn animations off the Kindle app is appears for now. So if you want to use that app you'll have to live with the animations, but have you tried the Moon+Reader app? That works great for me.
I use Moon +. I like it. For the Kindle app, I choose the "performance first" option. that makes the page turns less jarring.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
mvo
Connoisseur

I had forgotten that Moon+Reader coped with mobi files. I had to have a play with it again on my phone to check out all the settings etc - the interface of the app is a bit tricky to use on the T68. Still, I very much like the flexibility of the device. My Kobo will go to a new home
Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I had forgotten that Moon+Reader coped with mobi files.
Not very well. It's a lot better to convert your Mobi files to ePub. Trivial to do if you manage your library with Calibre, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
mvo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not very well. It's a lot better to convert your Mobi files to ePub. Trivial to do if you manage your library with Calibre, of course.
Yes, Calibre and I are well acquainted I think I enjoy all this tu-tuing about with devices and software Almost as much as reading