Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #31
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
3.5"? Or only 5.25" that you can't buy anymore? And FAT or some other format Windows can't read without a specialty program?
5.25, running CBM. The running joke at the time was the drive was actually as powerful than the actual computer (the floppy drive had a 6502 processor). It was a HUGE step up from using cassette tapes.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Yes, you're making it up. (WordStar, yes; C64, no. Hell, they didn't even make a C64 version of WordStar!)
Okay that makes sence. I do remember using WordStar on my old 286.

Of course his quote "WordStar is unsurpassed" made me laugh, how delusional doesn't he know VI is where it's at.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #33
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
5.25, running CBM. The running joke at the time was the drive was actually as powerful than the actual computer (the floppy drive had a 6502 processor). It was a HUGE step up from using cassette tapes.
We still use tape drives for our legacy products here at work. Every time I complain about them, the older guys say "Hey these tape drives are a huge step up from when we used punch cards" (paraphrasing a little)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #34
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
We still use tape drives for our legacy products here at work. Every time I complain about them, the older guys say "Hey these tape drives are a huge step up from when we used punch cards" (paraphrasing a little)

=X=
We have stacks of those tapes in various formats, and no convenient way of really accessing the data. Exabyte 4mm, 8mm, DAT...there is a lesson there for DRM formats somewhere I'm sure
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think I could still track down some cassettes that have data from my TI-99/4A. I learned what little I know of x86 assembly language on that thing. I still have the third-party 5.25" floppy drive I bought for it—whose enclosure is bigger than most PC towers are today.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #36
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
At least the DOS box you can pop out the floppy and put it into a modern Windows machine without much hassle. C64... not so much!

I have some experience with this. My dad is a hobbyist writer. He inherited my Grandpa's old computers when he died and always wrote on them. Some of his files started as Tandy files, but I was trying to get them off of a Pentium 60mhz.

Ended up with my one spare remaining floppy drive (used for installing SATA drivers on WinXP) propped on top of the system and copying the files in DOS onto a floppy (since I didn't have a working serial mouse for win 3.1) and transferring to my PC via a USB floppy drive. It's HARD to get files from a system with a non-EIDE hard drive, no usb, no network card, no CD burner, etc. UGH

Finally got all of the files off (annoying multiple versions didn't help). They were originally Wordstar on DOS, I think - DOC files but NOT WORD. Could not get them to open correctly (garbedlygook after a few pages), even with macros and converters, under Office 2007 or even OfficeXP or OpenOffice. Worked fine under Win 3.1 Write or Wordperfect ancient edition.

Finally, guess what opened them? Modern Wordperfect.

So...as far as I know, you can open Wordstar files in modern Wordperfect....lol
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
He inherited my Grandpa's old computers when he died and always wrote on them.
This makes me feel really old.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #38
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
They eventually got around to making a floppy-drive peripheral for the C64.
Oh yes, I remember them... a floppy drive with a serial interface before they were cool... or fast.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
Oh yes, I remember them... a floppy drive with a serial interface before they were cool... or fast.
RS232 rulz
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
RS232 rulz
Literally. 115200 bauds these days, but still the very first I/O device to bring up. Console over USB is rarely used.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
This makes me feel really old.
Sometimes me too, lol. If it makes you feel better, my grandpa liked tech, so I think he was in a minority of Grandfathers-with-computers in the 1990s, as far as I know.

He did better with DOS, oddly. I figure Martin is like him. My Grandpa tended to get lost in Windows 3.1...hunting through the GUI and mastering the mouse was much tougher for him than a nice list of shortcut keys and precise "type this then this" type instructions.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, author, fantasy, google, martin