Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Liz Williams inspector Chen
Simon R. Green - Nightside
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
"Agent to the Stars" by John Scalzi. Loved that one.
I'll second this! Amazing book . Some may call it silly, but it actually hangs together better (without any particular care taken to that end) than many "serious" SF stories out there .

Another one I'd recommend - Slow train to Arcturus (DRM-free from Baen). Light and entertaining and something that I think might appeal to a wide audience.

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 05-04-2011 at 10:26 PM.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
From the Baen Free Library

Aaron Allston - Doc Sidhe

Rick Cook's "Wizard's" series (2 books in free library)

Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon's "the SERRAted edge" series

Elizabeth Moon's "Sheepfarmer's Daughter" (first of a trilogy)

And a series I especially enjoyed, David Weber's "Bahzell" series (the first book, Oath of Swords, is available in the free library)

Last edited by zespectre; 05-04-2011 at 10:22 PM.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
This is a new release--the first of an urban fantasy series. It has a lot of humor and adventure in it and I loved it. Hounded, by Kevin Hearne.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
I always suggest that anyone who likes Terry Pratchett try Robert Rankin - although it's very English in setting and I suspect he may fall on the "silly" side of your divide.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Liz Williams Inspector Chen is lovely IMO.
perhaps look on fantasticfiction for anthologies that your favorite authors or those mentioned here have contributed to as many are grouped by style.
http://www.literature-map.com/ is always interesting
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest David Brin. For a light introduction try The Practice Effect. My favorites are Startide Rising and The Uplift War.
I tried reading the Uplift series. I read Sundiver and found it had promise for the series and given that it was book 1, I thought maybe it gets better from there. Then I tried reading Startide Rising and never did finish it. That where it all fell apart.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #23
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
http://www.literature-map.com/ is always interesting
That is one fantastic site! Thanks for posting it
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Wow, this is the neatest thing this month! (literature-map)
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon's "the SERRAted edge" series
Speaking of Mercedes Lackey, I highly recommend...

Five Hundred Kingdoms
1. The Fairy Godmother (2004)
2. One Good Knight (2006)
3. Fortune's Fool (2007)
4. The Snow Queen (2008)
5. The Sleeping Beauty (2010)
6. Beauty and the Werewolf (2011)

I've read some of this and plan to read the rest. It's very good.

Quote:
A fantasy series that deals with the more mature side of fairy tales. In the Five Hundred Kingdoms (almost certainly a literal name), the destiny of witches, knights, princesses and such are regulated by The Tradition, a magical force that is one of the primary sources of magic. Fairy Godmothers, Champions and Wizards are responsible for ensuring that The Tradition is upheld with a minimal loss of life.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #26
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I just bought The Fairy Godmother a couple of days ago. I look forward to reading it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I just bought The Fairy Godmother a couple of days ago. I look forward to reading it.
I rather enjoyed that one. I'm going to read One Good Knight soonish. It is on reserve at the library and it will be available in no more then 20 days.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
kwren
kwren began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
i really like christopher moore, robert rankin, a. lee martinez, and i love david eddings for witty high fantasy (i haven't read his newer stuff but the belgariad, mallorean, elenium and tamuli series are all well written, funny, and full of action)

i liked robert asprin's mythadventures series a lot as well.
kwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
Genarch
Genarch began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Take a look at http://www.baen.com/library/books.asp[/URL] The 1632 series in interesting. The first few books are free!!! When you get to the site make sure to scroll down. Their site design isn't the best, but the books offered are very good.
Genarch is offline   Reply With Quote