Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeciderBoy View Post
Darn it, I want a ceremony! I want dancer, jugglers, fireworks, a marching band, and a red carpet!
There is actually a secret ceremony, it is conducted by Bubba in cell block C at Attica. Not sure if you want to partake though.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Well, the K3 is smaller & lighter, but not as easy to hold onto when it does not have some sort of cover or skin. Careful not to drop it when you do get it. Don't sell your nook until you get the K3, or you might be in for a long wait with no reader. (K3s are back-ordered)
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Well, the K3 is smaller & lighter, but not as easy to hold onto when it does not have some sort of cover or skin.
I'm finding this to be true. I'd like to be able to add a bit of thickness to my K3 without adding much weight.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I did find the books I wanted in epub format for the Nook...at a cost of 4-6 dollars more a piece on other websites besides BN.COM..And honestly...transfering them to Nook via USB is pain in the royal arse...
Yes I agree, having 3G and downloading books from my calibre web server rocks.

Quote:
So is their a ceremony for when I convert to Kindleism from Nookism?
Yes, you must be sitting on your porcelain throne when you turn on the Kindle for the first time.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
elithea
elithea began at the beginning.

Device: nook
i prefer the aesthetics of the nook to the kindle, but i have found the same problem you have for "serious" reading in my field (ironically, aesthetics.) I am considering an additional reader, $139 kindle when they are available at best buy, and then segregating my pleasure/serious reading that way. i am NOT an amazon fan --i have had to return every single thing i have bought there in the past several years as soon as it arrived because of defects-- but at present, they are the only (or only affordable) game in town for some works. until then i read them on my netbook with kindle for pc-- those in TOPAZ format, that is, which is not strippable as far as i know. Most amazon books now, i find, are TOPAZ.
elithea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
That's odd, almost all the ebooks I've acquired from Amazon are not Topaz. I have a handful but not many. Topaz is possible to strip but not all the conversions are completely successful.

Sorry you've had to return every single item you've purchased from Amazon, I'm a regular purchaser and only have made 2 returns in 13 years and neither were for product defects.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #22
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I did exactly just that. I sold my Nook and switched to K3. I loved the Nook and the features and how easily obtained the epub books are. I was however in love with the new pearl screen, a lightness of the K3, and the battery life. I think the ultimately Nook owners reason to switch IMO. So I sold the Nook. I guess I could have kept both but I just don't need two readers. My library will never support overdrive and I don't like to wait in line for books I want to read. There's also a time limit I usually can't make. I can convert epub to mobi easily so there's no need in keeping the Nook for me. I think you will enjoy your K3 a lot. It is IN STOCK now so go get one!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
I was however in love with the new pearl screen, a lightness of the K3, and the battery life.
I found the K3 screen to be a very slight improvement over the Nook. The batter life is MUCH better and the it does feel a lot lighter.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I am an IT guy (SQL DBA) ;-) so was struggling when reading technical books on my Nook. Because that I decided give a try and bought the Kindle graphite DX just for my technical books and keep using the Nook for text books only, in order to retain some of the B&N features: online store free reading, epub, lending, etc. But when I discovered that I was not able to read my B&N epub ebooks on my Kindle DX because the DRM protection my bubble exploded!

Then I decided to visit a Target store with my Nook in hand and compared myself, with no sales representative pressure, pros and cons between both devices and the Kindle 3 sold itself!

The argument that we don't have epub support on Kindle but we do with B&N suddenly makes no sense anymore and was not a selling point to me. After all, why you want epub support if you can't export your epub books anyway? That is basically same proprietary format issues Amazon has, is not?

I own two Kindles now and selling my old Nook online

I weighted these reasons:

-Lightness
-Battery life
-Book inventory, in especial for technical books: SQL, PHP, RDMS, etc
-Dictionary
-The menu button (on the Nook, kind of sluggish sometimes)
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #25
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I am an IT guy (SQL DBA) ;-) so was struggling when reading technical books on my Nook. Because that I decided give a try and bought the Kindle graphite DX just for my technical books and keep using the Nook for text books only, in order to retain some of the B&N features: online store free reading, epub, lending, etc. But when I discovered that I was not able to read my B&N epub ebooks on my Kindle DX because the DRM protection my bubble exploded!

Then I decided to visit a Target store with my Nook in hand and compared myself, with no sales representative pressure, pros and cons between both devices and the Kindle 3 sold itself!

The argument that we don't have epub support on Kindle but we do with B&N suddenly makes no sense anymore and was not a selling point to me. After all, why you want epub support if you can't export your epub books anyway? That is basically same proprietary format issues Amazon has, is not?

I own two Kindles now and selling my old Nook online

I weighted these reasons:

-Lightness
-Battery life
-Book inventory, in especial for technical books: SQL, PHP, RDMS, etc
-Dictionary
-The menu button (on the Nook, kind of sluggish sometimes)

funny I just brought my nook into Best Buy to test out the new text of the nook after the lastest update which made it bolder and it confirmed my choice of going with the nook, the Kindle's new Pearl screen just isn't that much better or even at all. I even asked an innocent bystander to compare and they said ehhh it's looks the same to me.

The point of ePub on the nook as opposed to the kindle isn't about the books sold at BN's , yes those are pretty much no different then the books sold at Amazon, it's the ability to shop at multiple places that sell their books with ePub format and the ability to check out books from the library.
And yes I know before everyone chimes in You can strip away any DRM etc. but with the nook, you don't have that worry, It's simple, download then sideload, no extra steps. That's the argument for having ePub.

to each his own I guess.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Welcome to the Kindle Klub. I am glad that you have found an e-reader that works for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
funny I just brought my nook into Best Buy to test out the new text of the nook after the lastest update which made it bolder and it confirmed my choice of going with the nook, the Kindle's new Pearl screen just isn't that much better or even at all. I even asked an innocent bystander to compare and they said ehhh it's looks the same to me.

The point of ePub on the nook as opposed to the kindle isn't about the books sold at BN's , yes those are pretty much no different then the books sold at Amazon, it's the ability to shop at multiple places that sell their books with ePub format and the ability to check out books from the library.
And yes I know before everyone chimes in You can strip away any DRM etc. but with the nook, you don't have that worry, It's simple, download then sideload, no extra steps. That's the argument for having ePub.

to each his own I guess.
If the books that you want are available at the store associated with your device and they are the same price (thank you Agency Model) then why do you need a device that allows you to shop at other major retail outlets?

Amazon has a great selection of books and it is rare that one needs to leave Amazon's store to find a book. The multiple store option is more of a necessity when you can't find the books that you want.

I am sure there are books that people want that are not available at Amazon that are available at other stores. In the two years I have owned a Kindle I have been able to buy the books that I want without any problem. The books that I have wanted to read have not been available in any book store (Harry Potter) and the few times a book has not been available at Amazon it was not available at other e-book stores. I checked.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If the books that you want are available at the store associated with your device and they are the same price (thank you Agency Model) then why do you need a device that allows you to shop at other major retail outlets?

Amazon has a great selection of books and it is rare that one needs to leave Amazon's store to find a book. The multiple store option is more of a necessity when you can't find the books that you want.

I am sure there are books that people want that are not available at Amazon that are available at other stores. In the two years I have owned a Kindle I have been able to buy the books that I want without any problem. The books that I have wanted to read have not been available in any book store (Harry Potter) and the few times a book has not been available at Amazon it was not available at other e-book stores. I checked.
besides the obvious of library lending, the advantage is each site will run sales or promotions from time to time, if you are members of lets say Kobo, you can get membership discounts etc. I can use old gift cards to Borders on it etc.

It just opens up your buying experience without having to jump through any extra hoops.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
besides the obvious of library lending, the advantage is each site will run sales or promotions from time to time, if you are members of lets say Kobo, you can get membership discounts etc. I can use old gift cards to Borders on it etc.

It just opens up your buying experience without having to jump through any extra hoops.
And none of that means anything to me. I don't have Borders Gift Cards and no one gives them to me. I have no idea what the discounts are, I always thought the cards were stupid at those stores. Some you had to pay to be a member of and others the amount of money you had to spend on books to get any value was so high that it wasn't worth my time.

With the number of free books that I have been downloading to read I don't really need to buy that many books so the rewards cards are still worthless.

Essentially, the argument is really only valid for people who buy enough or are willing to pay to buy into a rewards program.

The library argument is 100% accurate which is why I suggest the Nook or Sony to people who want to check out books. To people who don't care about the library, the Kindle is a great device and they are probably going to find that they don't need the flexibility that the Nook brings for buying books. Just like most people find that they don't need a memory card slot because 4GB is more then enough space and they don't need a replacable battery because the Kindle battery lasts many years and lasts a month between charges.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #30
boswd
Banned

Ok think of it like this there are two stores near your house. They both sell the brands you like and products you buy on a monthly basis and the prices are pretty much the same. One store is a little bit closer so you do all your shopping there, makes sense, same product, same price, it's closer.

Now the other store is running a 40% off sale on everything, Ok now let's head over to the other store to take advantage of the sale that is going on.

That's the beauty of ePub, and like the kindle we nook owners also love the plutera of free books as well, so that is pretty much a wash.

Oh by the way congrats on a great season for your Spartan's,

don't know if you like Basketball but a big game tonight against my Syracuse Orange.

Tags
nook kindle 3