Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I'm wondering if the "more gift certificate credits" I'm eligible for are linked to B&N's absorption of my Fictionwise purchases; I made a lot more purchase frow FW than I've ever done from B&N.
I wouldn't think so since Fictionwise stopped selling books from those publishers when they went Agency.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I'm wondering if the "more gift certificate credits" I'm eligible for are linked to B&N's absorption of my Fictionwise purchases; I made a lot more purchase frow FW than I've ever done from B&N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wouldn't think so since Fictionwise stopped selling books from those publishers when they went Agency.
Then I'm at a loss as to where the "more purchases" came from; I only bought two qualifying books from B&N in the specified time period. Oh well, I'm not going to complain if they're gonna give me more credits back!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Does anyone know what happens to customers who bought books from Books on Board or any other defunct retailer?
For Google or any retailer not Amazon, Apple, B&N, Kobo or Sony people have to file a claim form. In all cases but Google (where they provide a claim number) the individual has to detail their purchases. I don't know how that works with BoB, but since they were still around when the settlements started perhaps the claims people have access to BoB's records or something? I think CyberRead went down without ever getting Agency books back, not sure about places like Astak's store, I think they did some Agency. I'm not sure if Borders purchases transfer to Kobo, like the books did, or not.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to track down all that info for the time period. I don't think I bought many Agency books, but I did buy some when there were $0.99 - $3.99 deals.

Here's what the settlement site says about "other retailers" (Diesel, ARe/OmniLit, ebooks.com, etc. I'd assume)...
Quote:
1. Do I have to submit a claim to participate in these Settlements?
Yes, a Claim Form will need to be filed to receive a check. All Claim Forms must be filed online or postmarked by December 12, 2012.

2. Do I need a Settlement ID Number when I file a Claim Form?
If you purchased eligible E-book(s) from a retailer other than Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Google or Sony than you are not required to provide a Settlement ID Number to file your Claim Form.

3. Who should I contact if I have questions about my E-book account?
You will need to contact your retailer with questions relating to your E-book account. If you have questions related to the requirements of filing a Claim Form or other general Settlement questions you may contact the Claims Administrator at info@EbookAGSettlments.com or by calling 1(866) 621-4153.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #34
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Got an email from Amazon a few days ago about this but have now also received one from Barnes and Noble.

Quote:
Dear Melmac

We're pleased to tell you that you are eligible for gift certificate credits thanks to recent legal settlements between States Attorneys General, Class and two eBook publishers. Barnes & Noble was not a party to the settlements but as a NOOK® customer, you can take advantage of the benefits agreed to by the settling publishers.

If you already received a previous notice regarding three similar settlements, you are receiving this letter because you are eligible for more gift certificate credits now if the Court gives final approval to the additional settlements with eBook publishers, Penguin and Macmillan.

There is nothing you need to do to receive the credits. If the Court grants final approval you will receive credits automatically in the form of an electronic gift certificate sent via email. Once the settlements' claim period ends, the Attorneys General will calculate the amount of your credits.
It's a pity that the other retailers I purchased from did not also go with account credits rather than cheques
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

I received an email from Sony today concerning the settlements from Penguin and Macmillan.

Quote:
The Court will hold a hearing on December 6, 2013, at 3:00 p.m., to consider whether to approve the Macmillan and Penguin Settlements.
I'm not expecting any money until long after December.
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Got emails from Sony & Kobo today. I think that covers all of the stores I've bought from that are still in business (also bought from Books on Board and Borders).
Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Does anyone have any idea how they are going to handle the Apple penalty? The Publishers payouts are more clear cut "You bought X number of books from the five publishers. You get Y number of dollars." How will they potentially divy up the Apple money? I am hoping that is a different payout so that they can get this credit out sooner rather then later.

I would be cool with dividing the amount by the number of affected books sold and each person getting a per book allotment but that is probably too simple.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #38
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Does anyone have any idea how they are going to handle the Apple penalty? The Publishers payouts are more clear cut "You bought X number of books from the five publishers. You get Y number of dollars." How will they potentially divy up the Apple money? I am hoping that is a different payout so that they can get this credit out sooner rather then later.

I would be cool with dividing the amount by the number of affected books sold and each person getting a per book allotment but that is probably too simple.
I haven't really kept up with it, but wasn't the Apple case just settled/won in court in the past few weeks? The refunds from the other case(s) are still pending and those cases were settled at least a year ago. I wouldn't expect any payments this year from any of these cases.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I haven't really kept up with it, but wasn't the Apple case just settled/won in court in the past few weeks? The refunds from the other case(s) are still pending and those cases were settled at least a year ago. I wouldn't expect any payments this year from any of these cases.
I believe that the reason the other refunds are still pending is precisely because there was still outstanding litigation. Now the legal proceedings are over, I would expect a reasonably swift resolution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #40
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that the reason the other refunds are still pending is precisely because there was still outstanding litigation. Now the legal proceedings are over, I would expect a reasonably swift resolution.
As shown in my post #35 above, there is still a hearing scheduled for December 6 for Penguin and Macmillan settlements, so it will most likely be at least 1st quarter of 2014 before payments get distributed.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Retailers are saying they expect credits to start in January 2014 (assuming the settlement is approved Dec. 6th of course).
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If they are coming in January then the Apple will come seperatly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Anyone rise thinks there is a correlation between Amazon's new Matchbook feature and the settlement payouts?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
None whatsoever. Why do you think there is?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #45
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
As people get settlement returns their account will fill up with micro payments, the same kind of amounts you can spend on Matchbook. It will be a simple click to buy those e-books with the money from the publishers. I'm not implying anything sinister, just that the timing is rather close, hence it might have been a factor deciding the timing.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote