Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #46
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, you know (or maybe you don't) how much i love css. so that's a point in favour of textpattern, especially if you just want a cms. one of the good things about wordpress is all the various widgets and plug-ins and such available for it, for managing spam and comments and creating a tag cloud and all that business. oh, and the fact that there are templates agogo available, but i doubt you'll need one of those. if textpattern has a decent cms interface and you don't want a blog wordpress might be overkill.
I'm still learning CSS, and everything else I just wing it and go with what I feel All I want really for the site is a pretty flat navigation where the main areas of interest can be navigated from the main page -- as we're going to be a character/story centric outfit instead of author focused, we should be able to cover this with a splash page for each series we do.

So far we have:

Lebanon Red(Horror Westerns)
Finch & Steinbeck (40's Mysteries)
Joe Luna (Contemporary Gossip Journalist Mysteries)
Underwood (Horror Adventure Series)
Universals (Near future Sci-Fi Series)
The Ivy League (Spy Thriller Series Set in the 60's)
Dawnrider (70's Action Horror)
Tucker of Europol (Contemporary European Thriller Series)

---
Up for consideration
-------------

Ca$h (Contemporary Thriller Series)
Kin (Young Adult Horror Series)

When it's written out like that, it seems like a lot of work
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #47
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
The different logos for genres was a good idea. But I like the single brand identity that you have with skull hat guy.

Beyond the Black's colors are kind of drab. I know. I probably should have made a gray bubble or something, but I had enough of a hard time just making the darn orange one that it stuck. The texture on the back was a water texture of a photo of the ocean. The blackish dark colors were there to sort of symbolize that they're under the oceanish. Out of the three I posted, the last one got the most positive reception.I'm sure if I went back and tweaked it some more, it would be completely different. I'm just afraid that the cover may give away the story. Shadow Hunter's not part 2 of the forgotten lands. It's something completely different.

Shadow Hunter is part of my pulpy supernatural noir/detective stories. I've been doing them for years and he's kind of a fan service to myself.

Kind of Harry Dresden with a badge. But, where Harry Dresden is rather socially awkward, Wilfrey is more in your face. He's more like Gabriel Knight with a gun. That's for those of you that remember the old sierra online games

He was my inspiration for the whole series when I was younger.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #48
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shadow Hunter is set in the same series as Psychic, which I should probably rewrite for JuNo. But, I'm pretty sure Shadow Hunter would be a good lead in for Psychic. So, more of a prequel than a sequel.

A lot of them are shorts that I'm expanding out to around 65k. That seems to be my sweet spot. New York be damned. If that length worked back in the day, it'll work today.

The sequel to Beyond the Black is "Bad Company." It may end up replacing Beyond in general if all goes according to plan. Now, the question is what to do with Beyond. I can't find any beta readers.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #49
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
The different logos for genres was a good idea. But I like the single brand identity that you have with skull hat guy.

Beyond the Black's colors are kind of drab. I know. I probably should have made a gray bubble or something, but I had enough of a hard time just making the darn orange one that it stuck. The texture on the back was a water texture of a photo of the ocean. The blackish dark colors were there to sort of symbolize that they're under the oceanish. Out of the three I posted, the last one got the most positive reception.I'm sure if I went back and tweaked it some more, it would be completely different. I'm just afraid that the cover may give away the story. Shadow Hunter's not part 2 of the forgotten lands. It's something completely different.

Shadow Hunter is part of my pulpy supernatural noir/detective stories. I've been doing them for years and he's kind of a fan service to myself.

Kind of Harry Dresden with a badge. But, where Harry Dresden is rather socially awkward, Wilfrey is more in your face. He's more like Gabriel Knight with a gun. That's for those of you that remember the old sierra online games

He was my inspiration for the whole series when I was younger.
I spent an inordinate amount of time playing Gabriel Knight Damn, now I'm getting all nostalgic. I'll have to go and play Day of the Tentacle

One of the authors I've been reading lately to get me buzzed for my pulp venture is Leslie Charteris. He invented The Saint character. I used to watch the old George Sanders 'Saint' when I was a little kid, and to this day the Saint's whistle (his signature move) has stuck with me. I found a clip of it on Youtube (if you can get hold of the movies or the original books, they're well worth a watch).

George Sanders as the Saint

Also, Roger Moore played him in the 60's, but I don't think he was anywhere near as good as Sanders.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #50
Dusty Bottoms
Banned

Quote:
Shadow Hunter is set in the same series as Psychic, which I should probably rewrite for JuNo. But, I'm pretty sure Shadow Hunter would be a good lead in for Psychic. So, more of a prequel than a sequel.

A lot of them are shorts that I'm expanding out to around 65k. That seems to be my sweet spot. New York be damned. If that length worked back in the day, it'll work today.

The sequel to Beyond the Black is "Bad Company." It may end up replacing Beyond in general if all goes according to plan. Now, the question is what to do with Beyond. I can't find any beta readers.
Interesting you should note word count, as I'm far more interested in reading novels in the sub 50k range now, and a lot of pulp came in significantly under that mark. Two of my favourite crime novels of all time are only 35k (Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice). I believe more and more that you don't need New York word counts to make a story worthwhile.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #51
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
I believe more and more that you don't need New York word counts to make a story worthwhile.
No, I don't think you do either. Especially in the digital age where there's no worry about lost costs for printing smaller word counts. As long as everything is wrapped up in a tight little bow and reads the way it should read, then you've done your job. Now, if you've written a 40k romance story with no romance then you've got an issue. I love walking through B/N and checkin out their old western section. Most of the stuff there is no more than 2" thick. Makes me smile, but I think there's a bunch that would be turned off by it. Especially if it's not children or YA. Hell, some of my YA fantasy is larger than my big boy books.

And THAT I don't understand.

I've always had trouble producing something more than 80k. I think I peak at around 65k. It's a perfect length for me. Anything more and I start to dread writing it. I've been more of an "in-the-moment" guy lately. And I'm still shocked when I load it into my 505 or Kindle and it checks in at around 250 ++ pages.

Wasn't it elmore leonard that said "Don't write the boring stuff." or something like that.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #52
Dusty Bottoms
Banned

Quote:
No, I don't think you do either. Especially in the digital age where there's no worry about lost costs for printing smaller word counts. As long as everything is wrapped up in a tight little bow and reads the way it should read, then you've done your job. Now, if you've written a 40k romance story with no romance then you've got an issue. I love walking through B/N and checkin out their old western section. Most of the stuff there is no more than 2" thick. Makes me smile, but I think there's a bunch that would be turned off by it. Especially if it's not children or YA. Hell, some of my YA fantasy is larger than my big boy books.

And THAT I don't understand.

I've always had trouble producing something more than 80k. I think I peak at around 65k. It's a perfect length for me. Anything more and I start to dread writing it. I've been more of an "in-the-moment" guy lately. And I'm still shocked when I load it into my 505 or Kindle and it checks in at around 250 ++ pages.

Wasn't it elmore leonard that said "Don't write the boring stuff." or something like that.
I think it was Elmore and he also said 'Don't start with the weather' I'm actually wondering if we're not approaching a new pulp age, where shorter novels will be much more palatable to the burgeoning audiences who are coming from YA into adult fiction. I read a lot of Westerns when I was young, specifically Max Brand (the greatest pulp writer of all time) and the one thing they did well was just keep the action flowing. They didn't stop until the story stopped. That, to me, is the purest of Pulp fiction. Not just that you keep turning the pages, anybody can make you do that, even Dan Brown, but that the story won't let you go. The characters, like Speedy my all time favourite Max Brand character. I can still see that character now twenty-five years after I first read him. Sitting 'neath a tree, chomping on apples.

Here's a bit from Lebanon Red, while we're talking Westens
Lebanon's deep black eyes stared into the sleeping dark beyond the archway.

Heads or tails, night or day, evil or good...it was fifty-fifty when it came to what was waiting for him in the dark and what fate befell that creature.

Slow, he reached for the silver tipped hunting knife sheathed at the small of his back. The worn leather of the handle felt good, right in his grip. Not just good, this was more than that. His fate was etched into that handle. An inverted pentagram that matched the charred flesh upon his palm like a key fit a lock.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #53
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR GEORGE SANDERS AS "THE SAINT"!!!!!

Thanks for finding the clip.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #54
Dusty Bottoms
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR GEORGE SANDERS AS "THE SAINT"!!!!!

Thanks for finding the clip.

Camille
Here's a listing of all the films http://www.saint.org/stfilms.htm
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #55
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Slow, he reached for the silver tipped hunting knife sheathed at the small of his back. The worn leather of the handle felt good, right in his grip. Not just good, this was more than that. His fate was etched into that handle. An inverted pentagram that matched the charred flesh upon his palm like a key fit a lock.
I love the metaphor. Anyway, I'd have to agree with you. Although, my beliefs for why pulp is coming back are probably different than yours. With the advent of this new "now" culture that we live in, our attention span are getting shorter. Everyone is so connected to so much different entertainment, they don't seem to have time to invest in anything anymore. Youtube videos are like the most entertaining thing to certain demographics. And in that timeframe of what? 1 minute - 2 minutes? They're entertained.

Television and videogames are so in right now that it's almost like a media overload. So, I'm wont to think shorter is better.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #56
Dusty Bottoms
Banned

Quote:
I love the metaphor. Anyway, I'd have to agree with you. Although, my beliefs for why pulp is coming back are probably different than yours. With the advent of this new "now" culture that we live in, our attention span are getting shorter. Everyone is so connected to so much different entertainment, they don't seem to have time to invest in anything anymore. Youtube videos are like the most entertaining thing to certain demographics. And in that timeframe of what? 1 minute - 2 minutes? They're entertained.

Television and videogames are so in right now that it's almost like a media overload. So, I'm wont to think shorter is better.
Agree 100% actually. if we can even get people to read it's a miracle, reading a long book is even more of a miracle. Besides all that, write shorter books and you can write more of them

Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-22-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #57
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here's a listing of all the films http://www.saint.org/stfilms.htm
Thanks! Although they don't have clips, and that's what I was really happy about. It's hard to find clips of Saunders as The Saint.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #58
DaringNovelist
Addict

I myself am extremely excited about the idea of a new Pulp Era. It was, actually my motivation to start publishing.

I used to love reading the Rex Stout mystery novelettes that were three to a book (Trio for Blunt Instruments, Three for the Chair, titles like that).

I have a bunch of things that I want to write shorter than the print industry likes. Including some serials. Right now I've got to figure out what to do with the sequel to Wife of Freedom. It's a longer book, and it has a decent breaking point about two thirds of the way through (and the last third needs the most work). But at the same time, there's a really satisfying arc to a couple of the characters that would work better in one story.

Sigh, well, when I'm done writing the mystery, I guess I'll throw myself into that.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #59
Dusty Bottoms
Banned

Here's a continuation of the Lebanon Red cover. I decided the earlier one wasn't rough or worn enough for a Western Horror. So i came up with this one. Tones are much deeper, and it looks better at 150px too I think I'm near to finalising this design now (and as a template for the other Lebanon Red stories).

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #60
Dusty Bottoms
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
I myself am extremely excited about the idea of a new Pulp Era. It was, actually my motivation to start publishing.

I used to love reading the Rex Stout mystery novelettes that were three to a book (Trio for Blunt Instruments, Three for the Chair, titles like that).

I have a bunch of things that I want to write shorter than the print industry likes. Including some serials. Right now I've got to figure out what to do with the sequel to Wife of Freedom. It's a longer book, and it has a decent breaking point about two thirds of the way through (and the last third needs the most work). But at the same time, there's a really satisfying arc to a couple of the characters that would work better in one story.

Sigh, well, when I'm done writing the mystery, I guess I'll throw myself into that.

I was having this discussion about lengths with a cohort of mine and we decided on our own, non New York word count - Anything over 35 k and below 65k and it's golden for what we're trying to achieve. Screw New York and the publishing industry. Pulp should be fast, short and leave you wanting more (and that's when we start charging, when there's more to be wanted )