Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Audio Books

How many members also listen to audio books? I've been a member of Audible for about 3 years and just upgraded from 1 book per month to 2. I think it's more convenient than the CD's I used to get from the library and I don't have to deal with scratches and skips.

Does anyone know if there any e-book clubs out there with a similar "book of the month" subscription plan?
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I can borrow audible books online from my local library, which I then listen to on an Olympus voice recorder which is set up to listen to audible books and podcasts.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I drive an hour to work one way and have listened to a bunch of audio over the years. I just buy them or rent them from the library.

I didn't know there was an audio book of the month club. I may have to check that out.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
I have a CD player in my car that can also read SD cards. I download free audio books from librivox http://librivox.org.
Free audiobooks in spanish are also available at http://www.leerescuchando.net/
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I drive an hour to work one way and have listened to a bunch of audio over the years. I just buy them or rent them from the library.

I didn't know there was an audio book of the month club. I may have to check that out.
Audible.com is the site I use. 1 book is $14.95 per month, 2 books are $22.95. You can download them and burn them to cd's or download them to an mp3 player. They use their own protected format so only specific devices can play it, but the list is pretty big.

Since they are now owned by Amazon, you can also listen to them through the Kindle. I just use my Palm T/X.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I occasionally listen to audiobooks, both ones I've purchased and borrowed from my local library. It's one of the reasons I still keep a regular CD player available in addition to my flash DAP.

One thing you could do is check with your local library to see if you can borrow audiobooks via download. Although I haven't yet taken advantage of it, my local library will allow me to borrow ebooks, audiobooks, and videos via download to a compatible device.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
AudiobooksForFree.com

You can get loads of free audiobooks here in "okay" quality
http://audiobooksforfree.com/
or pay for better quality recordings of the books available. The site has not been updated since February 2008 but I have had a lot of pleasure listening to their books over the years.

These days I borrow books on CD from the library and download them too. My library (Volusia County, Florida) is blessed with downloadable audio and ebooks. I belonged to audible.com for many years - had two accounts so got 4 books per month - but cancelled my membership when I had gathered a huge backlog to listen to (still working my way through), and spent more time reading ebooks instead. In the meantime I also became a Sudoku fanatic so I tend to do that a lot on flights to pass the time!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I occasionally listen to audiobooks, both ones I've purchased and borrowed from my local library. It's one of the reasons I still keep a regular CD player available in addition to my flash DAP.

One thing you could do is check with your local library to see if you can borrow audiobooks via download. Although I haven't yet taken advantage of it, my local library will allow me to borrow ebooks, audiobooks, and videos via download to a compatible device.
The library does offer some for download, but a limited selection. I listen to them everyday and go through 2 or 3 a month, so Audible works best for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I LOVE audiobooks...but don't love the prices out there. I agree with the library as being your best bet at this time. Mine offers a lot of good ones.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
i can't stand audiobooks! it's too difficult for me to follow the characters. plus, listening to someone else read sucks half the excitement out of it. i feel i lose the freedom that reading provides. oh, and i don't like not being able to move at my own pace.

i do listen to radio shows on occasion. at least these provide different voices for different characters, along with sound effects and even music. it makes a big difference...
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
i can't stand audiobooks! it's too difficult for me to follow the characters. plus, listening to someone else read sucks half the excitement out of it. i feel i lose the freedom that reading provides. oh, and i don't like not being able to move at my own pace.

i do listen to radio shows on occasion. at least these provide different voices for different characters, along with sound effects and even music. it makes a big difference...
For me, it depends on the type of story. In some cases the printed book is less confusing.

An example is "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. The audiobook was excellent but because of the jumping around that takes place it did get confusing at times. I think the printed page would have been less confusing.

But sometimes the audiobook can provide a better experience for me than the printed page. An example is with the audiobook for the comic book series "Infinite Crisis." I have it as a seven-issue comic book miniseries, as a 371-page printed novel, and as a 13-CD audiobook (with a full cast and audio special effects). Of the three versions, the audiobook was the best. When listening to it, I was able to visualize it in my mind as if I was watching a movie (the voice actors were perfect for each role).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Whenever I can, I listen to audiobooks. Sadly, it's not to much anymore (it was different when I still went to work by train)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
For me, it depends on the type of story. In some cases the printed book is less confusing.
it's the dialog that gets me. in my head i can create different voices for each character, but when listening to a monotonous british guy read something, it all blurs together and i never know who is talking
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
it's the dialog that gets me. in my head i can create different voices for each character, but when listening to a monotonous british guy read something, it all blurs together and i never know who is talking
If you're a P. G. Wodehouse fan, I'd strongly recommend the audiobooks read by Jonathan Cecil.
As comic performances I rate them alongside any of the masterpieces from TV, film or radio.

On audio books generally; my advice is to avoid Clipper Audio gadgets as supplied by my local library (UK) - the sound quality is appalling.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-01-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
For most of the produced audio books, the narrator does provide different voices for the characters. It is one of the reasons I stay away from the free audiobook sites, most of the ones I've tried to listen to were in a monotone.

If anyone is a fan of James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series, listen to one of his books narrated by Will Patton. It drops you right in the center of the bayou.