Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
ebooklovers
ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
Based on my research, it is better to cut the 5 day promo into 2 and starts on a Friday upto the weekends. I havent published my book yet (but plan to do so in the near future) as I want to fully plan every step that I will do, including the days when I will offer the promo..

Since I have no experience with it yet as well, thanks a lot for the heads up about the significant decrease of download on a Sunday.. Maybe it would be better if I start the promo on a Friday up to Saturday?
ebooklovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
FWIW, it was Saturday that got so little activity. Sunday was one of my best days. However, my own very small sampling of days isn't a very reliable predictor. If you report back on your experiences, you may help other folks figure out better patterns too.

Good luck.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Crazy day. I'm experimenting with a longer giveaway duration this time, kind of wondering if it will snowball or just peter out. I actually have 5 days scheduled back to back, because... why not? This is the first day.

I've already given away more than 300 copies today. Twice my previous daily high (which was also on a Sunday), probably close to 4 times my average. Not what I was expecting.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
After playing around with it a bit over the last two years I've decided that 'free days' do nothing for sales. YMMV.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have had the same experience as KennyC. Freebies do nothing for sales.

Last December, I gave away over 4,000+ freebies for one book. When the giveaway ended it earned me zero paid sales. Zero. It got me one review - and a one star review at that. In the future, I will only do a freebie for the first book of a series and not until I have several books of the series out there for sale.

I'm been told that freebies should be reserved for the first book of a series because they can entice readers to buy the second and third. As a reader, I have been enticed to buy more books in a series this way. I plan to try it sometime, but I will never do a freebie on stand-alone book again.

Last edited by Lima Bean; 11-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've had luck giving books away using Smashwords' coupons. So far, most who have downloaded the first novel come back to buy the second one. I list the giveaway on various group sites at Facebook. Grant you this is hand selling one book at a time - not giving away copies in the 100s or more. But this method is working for me. The two books, though, are in a series.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
IMO, Freebies work best when you have a strong back list, or as part of a series.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
Marseille
Guru

I've probably picked up a review for every 150 books or so I've given away, not including this last run. I've always seen sales pick up in the week after a giveaway. Enough to give the store page some activity so it doesn't look like a ghost town (interlinked people who buy this book also buy...). But I also haven't done them very frequently.

Kittenhood: Orientation is the first in a series, but it'll be a while before I write the rest. I've been mostly experimenting the effectiveness of giveaways looking forward to the time when I have a stable of kittenhoods to point to each other.

In regards to this particular experiment, I did see a petering off effect. More than 300 given away on day one, less than a hundred on day two, I canceled during day three when I was on track to give away less than 50. Both of my highest yielding giveaways have been on Sundays, FWIW. That lesson alone is worth something to me.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
IMO, Freebies work best when you have a strong back list, or as part of a series.
Agreed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote