Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #46
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
well, at least with the temporary fix, I now know not to upgrade iTunes again unless it's essential for some other reason (or until y'all can confirm that it will be OK!).

(For some reason, I couldn't downgrade to 10.6.1, even using time machine - my computer kept sending error messages when I tried, so I've been manually transferring things for the past few days/weeks.)

Just want to thank you for sorting out even a 'temporary' solution!
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #47
Jane87
Jane87 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you sooo much for the fix. Even if it is only "temporary". Like sdow1 says, I will be very careful in updating iTunes going forward.
Jane87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
GRiker, thank you. I can now connect to iTunes and transfer books. The only problem is when I do, the title sort in iTunes says series_sort, not the actual series and number. How do I tweak this?

Again, thank you for all your hard work - temporary or not.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #49
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you read the 'Start here' sticky? Are you using a plugboard to transform the metadata?

According to this post, you were manually fiddling with title_sort after the problem with iTunes began. Have you undone that?

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #50
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
I fixed it. I had to change the Metadata Plug board from series_sort to: {series:||} {series_index:0>3s} - I don't know why, but it works.

I tend to stumble around until I luck on to an answer - needless to say that it doesn't always work - but this time it did.

Thanks for your help
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
razdad4
razdad4 began at the beginning.

I know this is an OS X forum, but ever since updating to 10.6.3.25 on my Win 7 computer, calibre won't connect to iTunes. Is there another thread talking about this (I searched, but haven';t found any), or does it appear that I am alone? I haven't submitted it as a bug because I'm not sure that it is, but the timing was right after the iTunes change. I'm not a fan of using the content server...too many clumsy steps, but...
razdad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #52
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make sure you've rebooted your PC after the iTunes update, and also make sure that iTunes isn't showing a dialog or busy updating its database before you start calibre.

If that doesn't work, start a new thread, post a debug log as described in the sticky.

G
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #53
razdad4

Win 7 iTunes similar problem

Check and check (and rechecked just in case)...I'll start the thread after I read up on the debug log in the sticky
Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #54
razdad4

I appreciate the debug log tip, GRiker; the log said calibre couldn't find iTunes installed anywhere. In-app iTunes updates on Win7 seem to have a bad habit of messing up pointers to its location (shortcuts routinely don't work after the update), but this is the first time it made itself invisible to calibre.

Quick "repair installation" and it works again. Many thanks. And best wishes on the OS X workarounds.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #55
Jane87

Has there been any progress on making Calibre work with iTunes 10.6? There is now another update to 10.7 and I don't want to fall behind.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #56
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have updated to iTunes 10.7 on my Mac and calibre (latest version) is still able to connect to iTunes and add books.

No idea if this is just good luck, or indicative of a general success pattern...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #57
GRiker

Actually, iTunes 10.7 fixed the bug that was preventing the connection, so I definitely recommend updating to 10.7 on OSX. There's still code in place to handle things if they reintroduce the bug ...

G
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #58
Jane87

ChristopherTD and GRiker, Thank you very much for answering!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #59
higlider
higlider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can Calibre communicate to iTunes that is running on another computer on the same subnet? Or does iTunes have to run on the same computer?

What versions of iTunes work with Calibre? I am running iTunes 9.0.3.16 on a different computer from the one running Calibre, and when I "Connect to iTunes", nothing happens.

I am able to transfer books from Calibre Server to my iPad, but was curious about getting the iTunes route to work.
higlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #60
GRiker

It needs to be the same computer.