Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
misiekuba
misiekuba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Very eye-friendly reader with a good web browser

Hello Everyone,

I have a very dear aunt. She is 70 years old, but she try to be a modern women. Her wish is to use Internet, like others. Unfortunately she has problems with eyes. She has few eyes operations, and that's why she can't use PC. (When you use PC, you blink less, and your eyes become dry. She has to avoid such a situations.)
That's why I thought about e-paper & EPD.

I'm looking for some VERY eye-friendly and uncomplicated reader, that can be use by an older person, which has no experience with PC, and very limited experience with mobile phones.
The reader must have stable Internet connection and a good web browser.
Aunt likes to read books, so it would be nice, if she also could buy books via web.

Can you recommend any device?

Regards,
Misiekuba
misiekuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I believe the two things you require most are mutually exclusive. Pick one or the other but you can't have both. If you want a bood browser you have to get a tablet. Tablets are backlit which are hard on the eyes.

Sorry.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Agreed with Shopaholic. Browsing the web on an e-ink reader really doesn't work well.

However, e-ink will work very well for purchasing books and reading them on an e-ink reader. There are several e-ink readers which allow for purchase on the device, using the wi-fi connection.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've browsed on a Sony T1 and found it to be very poor. I think all ereaders are likely to be the same. It's a pity the font size on pages can't be increased which would make it (a lot more) useful.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that I since she has eye problems, she'll need a bigger font size and honestly, a 6" reader could be a bit small. When you get into a larger size, you get into expensive. If she can deal with a tablet, I recommend an iPad since it has a very nice display. It's the (currently) best display on a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've browsed on a Sony T1 and found it to be very poor. I think all ereaders are likely to be the same. It's a pity the font size on pages can't be increased which would make it (a lot more) useful.
I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to change font sizes; my old e-ink reader bebook one (2008) has the option to increase font size from very small to VERY large. It also reads all the common ebook formats (drm free ones). My Sony PRS-950 7"e-ink reader has 6 different sizes up to very large (that is indeed large), although it does not read kindle books. And I imagine that many of the eink readers such as Pocketbook and Onyx have similar ranges of font sizes although I haven't tested them.

On ebay, there is a 6" Bebook Club E at $53.00 for buy it now. Probably you could find an older 6" reader on ebay also with similar features. The 6" screen should be satisfactory for someone with eye problems because of the wide range of font sizes. (I'm in my late 70's and have eye problems, including severe dry eyes; I find I can still use a computer provided that I liberally and often apply artificial tears to my eyes while working on an epub on the computer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BeBook-Club-...item4167595f05

The listing doesn't include a charger, but wall plug usb chargers are cheap at Amazon. I know nothing about this model; I suspect it has similar font size/format options as my One model, but perhaps someone else can tell you for certain about it. Bebook is out of business but at the above ebay listing you don't risk much if it eventually fails, and ebay will stand behind your purchase if it is DOA. If you could find an older Bebook One on ebay (or its Hanvon 6" equivalent) in good working condition, I think it would be ideal for an older person unfamiliar with ereader because it is simple to operate, and the battery is very inexpensive, obtainable on ebay, and easily replaced without an technical knowledge. I plan to continue using mine as long as it lasts, and I expect several more years of use.

I should point out that these older e-readers have no web browsers, and this may be a critical point for you.

Last edited by bobcdy; 06-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post

On ebay, there is a 5" Bebook Club E at $63.00 for buy it now. Probably you could find an older 6" reader on ebay also with similar features. Although only 5" screen, if it has similar font size options as my 6" BeBook One, the 5" screen should be satisfactory for someone with eye problems because of the wide range of font sizes. (I'm in my late 70's and have eye problems, including severe dry eyes; I find I can still use a computer provided that I liberally and often apply artificial tears to my eyes while working on an epub on the computer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BeBook-Club-...item4167595f05

The listing doesn't include a charger, but wall plug usb chargers are cheap at Amazon. I know nothing about this model; I suspect it has similar font size/format options as my One model, but perhaps someone else can tell you for certain about it. Bebook is out of business but at the above ebay listing you don't risk much if it eventually fails, and ebay will stand behind your purchase if it is DOA.
BeBook Club is 6", non-Pearl and non-touch (and so operation is not "uncomplicated"). It's a rebranded Onyx reader, and it has nothing to do with the Bebook One. BeBook's original provider, Endless Ideas is out of business, but they have a new owner.

The Club was quite a good reader when it came out a couple of years ago (I actually bought one for my wife), but there are better readers now that will cost you hardly more. There is a newer version of the Club, called Club S, which has a Pearl screen, so better contrast.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
BeBook Club is 6", non-Pearl and non-touch (and so operation is not "uncomplicated"). It's a rebranded Onyx reader, and it has nothing to do with the Bebook One. BeBook's original provider, Endless Ideas is out of business, but they have a new owner.

The Club was quite a good reader when it came out a couple of years ago (I actually bought one for my wife), but there are better readers now that will cost you hardly more. There is a newer version of the Club, called Club S, which has a Pearl screen, so better contrast.
That's right. The Club was the version of the BeBook Neo (aka Onyx Boox 60) without the Wacom touch screen of the Neo. Very nice reader indeed in its day (I still have my Neo), but its day was long ago. It wouldn't be a good idea to buy one now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Zetmolm,

Thanks for bringing me up to date on BeBook. Not having used an Onyx of any type, I did not comment on them. As far as my post, I was recommending a reader for someone with special needs: a simple to operate reader with option for very large font sizes (and one that reads both mobi and epub). The older non-touch readers are as simple as you get - press the forward key and a page turns, press a back key, etc. Although the older e-ink screens are not as attractive and have lower resolution compared to the newer ones, such as on my rooted Nook Simple Touch or Sony prs950, I have absolutely no difficulty with reading the older One (and I have similar vision problems as OP's mother). I find my NST a tad more difficult to use because the touch screen is too sensitive and turns pages if I'm careless with my finger placement, and it is no easier to read than my One.

As far as cost, I checked with Onyx, and the list price of their A60 is 99 euros, about $125, relatively inexpensive but nearly 3x the cost of the ebay (there is a bid for it now) one which would make a nice inexpensive trial reader. The touch screen Boox I62 lists at about $185.

Perhaps being familiar with Onyx, you might mention to the OP whether these readers have the same options for very large font sizes? If so, they also would be suitable for her mother.

Last edited by bobcdy; 06-24-2012 at 01:30 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I don't think the BeBook Club would meet the OP's requirements. It does not have Internet at all (no WiFi), and I would not call it simple to operate. Yes, just paging forward is simple, but the Onyx readers have lots of options that might confuse a person with limited or no experience with similar devices, and the non-intuitive buttons of the Club make it even worse.

The Club is not a bad reader, and for some people $63 may be a good deal, but as I said, it is a bit outdated, and for a bit more money you have a better reader nowadays.

I don't know the details of the OP's aunt's condition, but an iPad might be her best option, as suggested before.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-paper, electronic paper, epd, eye-friendly, web browser