Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Kindle Cover can break screen.

I like the Kindle cover, but there's a problem with it. There's a lawsuit in progress against Amazon because some users claim it has a faulty design that has contributed to their screens being broken. I can believe that, because if you open the cover from the wrong side, it creates stress on the device because of the way it's attached to the cover.

My solution was to sew on a bit of Velcro. It works like a charm, but sewing on leather with a small needle is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I put adhesive backed velcro on the back of the cover and back of the unit (at the two unsupported corners) on my wife's Kindle which I purchased here on the forums. Works like a charm and keeps the Kindle snug in the cover.

I use the M-Edge (forget the model name) that has elastic/leather corners to hold the Kindle in place on mine.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman7 View Post
I put adhesive backed velcro on the back of the cover and back of the unit (at the two unsupported corners) on my wife's Kindle which I purchased here on the forums. Works like a charm and keeps the Kindle snug in the cover.
A toast to Velcro!

And three cheers to Captain Janeway for inventing it!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

The type I used was like these "dots":

Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman7 View Post
The type I used was like these "dots"...
I thought of that before I sewed Velcro on mine, but I didn't like the idea of having the dots stuck in a semi-permanent fashion to the back of my Kindle. The dots do have the virtue, however, of being way easier to implement than my solution.
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
jeremy_ahn
Banned
jeremy_ahn began at the beginning.

Device: any
amazon should refund or replace these cases for free because of their faulty cover design.
jeremy_ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_ahn View Post
amazon should refund or replace these cases for free because of their faulty cover design.
If the class-action lawsuit succeeds, they'll probably have to.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Hey that's a cool idea!

I think my sewing nutter mother has some velcro lying around at her place. Awesome.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Umm... I don't think a class action suit would succeed. I have a kindle cover and have never had a problem of opening it the wrong way to cause damage. And to do so seems crazy.

At some point, people need to take responsibility for their own mistakes and quit blaming someone else.

I am sure this will cause a flame war and I won't partake. But you have to realize that companies CANNOT protect everyone from their own stupidity.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Umm... I don't think a class action suit would succeed. I have a kindle cover and have never had a problem of opening it the wrong way to cause damage. And to do so seems crazy.

At some point, people need to take responsibility for their own mistakes and quit blaming someone else.

I am sure this will cause a flame war and I won't partake. But you have to realize that companies CANNOT protect everyone from their own stupidity.
Thanks for verbalizing what I was thinking. Way too many frivolous lawsuits out there, and this is most certainly one of them............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thanks for verbalizing what I was thinking. Way too many frivolous lawsuits out there, and this is most certainly one of them............
And they're always the ones to make it into foreign news. They can be quite entertaining though The stupidity....
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Some people have had problems, and most people have not had any problems.

Having said that, I feel a class-action suit was welcome for those who had problems. What some people fail to understand is that at first Amazon denied these problems and damaged Kindles kept "piling up." It's not frivolous, in my opinion.

The problem now rarely occurs.

I'm quite happy with my Kindle 2 and would recommend it to anyone: Old, young, fat, thin, cranky, good-natured [choose all or none; or add your own] - whatever one's disposition in life. In my opinion, the Kindle 2 is a great ebookieuse. (That's English for an "ebook-I-use.")

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Tyler_D
Tyler_D doesn't litterTyler_D doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
I had problems with my Amazon kindle cover for my DX. I had heard of the latches cracking the kindle frame and was very careful to NEVER open it the wrong way. My problem wasn't me opening the cover the wrong way, it was that it shifted in my back pack and started bending the hooks. I am VERY careful with my DX because it took me 3+ months to convince my wife that it would be useful for medical school. I take it with me everywhere and have all my notes on it, but just transporting it in my backpack was apparently enough stress to open the kindle the wrong way. My cover started to stress the sides of my DX and I had a hard time getting the DX out of the cover because the hooks were bending.

Needless to say I sent my cover back to Amazon and got $40 dollars back. Amazon was very helpful and I replaced it with an M-edge cover that has worked very nicely. I thought the Amazon cover was great, but mine apparently couldn't handle the stress of being used for school.
Tyler_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k-2, kindle, kindle cover