Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Horizontal white line

I just noticed a thin white line about 1/2" from the top of my 505. I never noticed it before because it's always been in the top (blank) margin of the books I've been reading. I opened a pdf book yesterday where the text starts from the top of the screen and noticed this line through the letters. (I also now realized that it creates a white line near the bottom of the black border of the menu page headings, which I thought was normal.)

Should I contact Sony about this? Or the store where I bought it? (DataVision here in NYC.) Would the Sony Store here in NYC (just 2 blocks away) make an exchange (even though I didn't buy it there)? Would it be worth taking apart the 505 to see if there's a loose edge contact on the display? (That's probably a last resort as it's under warranty still!)

Last edited by DrMoze; 01-10-2008 at 11:24 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I would highly advise against taking it apart because it will void the warranty. The folks over at the Sony Store on 5th are really nice. I'd bring it by and let them check it out for you. Next time you are downtown...
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I just noticed a thin white line about 1/2" from the top of my 505. I never noticed it before because it's always been in the top (blank) margin of the books I've been reading. I opened a pdf book yesterday where the text starts from the top of the screen and noticed this line through the letters. (I also now realized that it creates a white line near the bottom of the black border of the menu page headings, which I thought was normal.)

Should I contact Sony about this? Or the store where I bought it? (DataVision here in NYC.) Would the Sony Store here in NYC (just 2 blocks away) make an exchange (even though I didn't buy it there)? Would it be worth taking apart the 505 to see if there's a loose edge contact on the display? (That's probably a last resort as it's under warranty still!)
I had the exact same thing on my Kindle (I think the Kindle and Sony Reader use the same screen). The line came out of no where one day. Called Amazon and they shipped me a new Kindle. The unit was still readable but you could see the line when the screen would flash and redraw and when the screen saver was engaged and there was a black background. Hopefully your Sony Reader is still under warranty and you can get it replaced.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaclaire View Post
I would highly advise against taking it apart because it will void the warranty. The folks over at the Sony Store on 5th are really nice. I'd bring it by and let them check it out for you. Next time you are downtown...
I'll dothat before sending it in. (There is a 90-day warranty;bought it 1 month ago.) Isn't the store in midtown? (Madison and 55th St.?)

Greg--that's what mine does exactly. The line is in the top blank margin of most books, but I see it when the screen flashes now.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
jennaclaire
Enthusiast
jennaclaire began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I call anything south of the park downtown. It is around 55th, but I was thinking 5th. Now that you say it, you are right, it was Madison.
jennaclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut

Ah. Midtown is "uptown" from me, and the Village and below are "downtown" as I'm in the middle of things in Flatiron. And up past the beginning of the Park are those quirky remote NYC colonies of Upper Side, East and West.

I'll stop by the Sony Store and ask. Although from my phone call, it seems I might have to ship it back to Texas to have it looked at. (I don't want to be without my Reader for 2+ weeks!)