Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Issynbird, would you be willing to start a thread for the Iliad, about a day or two before everyone should start reading it? That way it would gave everyone/anyone who is interested a chance to plan for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
That sounds like a plan. I don't even know how long the Iliad is, but I like your idea of reading and discussing in chunks; could be interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I'm up for reading and discussing the Iliad. <snip> So starting the Iliad next year sounds good. I downloaded the Epub version from MR and on my reader it comes out at about 1,100 pages. As far as timing why don't we start with Issybird's suggestion and adjust weekly if needed to keep enough of the group current?
Here's where I am: The Iliad has 24 books. I thought if we read it in six books a week chunks it wouldn't seem so formidable; it would be about one book a day if someone wanted to approach it that way. I also thought an ongoing discussion would lend interest and provide encouragement to keep up. But we could always make it four books a week and plan on taking six weeks, if people thought that was more manageable.

How about the second Monday in January (January 9, 2012) to start the discussion? It would be out of sync with both other clubs and people wouldn't have to start reading until after the holidays. I'd be glad to start the thread a week earlier, to kick things off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #107
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Here's where I am: The Iliad has 24 books. I thought if we read it in six books a week chunks it wouldn't seem so formidable; it would be about one book a day if someone wanted to approach it that way. I also thought an ongoing discussion would lend interest and provide encouragement to keep up. But we could always make it four books a week and plan on taking six weeks, if people thought that was more manageable.

How about the second Monday in January (January 9, 2012) to start the discussion? It would be out of sync with both other clubs and people wouldn't have to start reading until after the holidays. I'd be glad to start the thread a week earlier, to kick things off.
Four books a week and January 9th sounds good to me, if the others agree.

Also, even though I have a copy (or two), I think I'll download the one from here, as they tend to be a much better copy than the PD books from Amazon.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #108
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm up for reading and discussing the Iliad. At the moment though there are two books on my next to read list with these followed by the yet unselected books for the afternoon and evening book clubs at my local library. Then there is the The MobileRead Literary Book Club for December (assuming there is one ). So starting the Iliad next year sounds good. I downloaded the Epub version from MR and on my reader it comes out at about 1,100 pages. As far as timing why don't we start with Issybird's suggestion and adjust weekly if needed to keep enough of the group current?

Whose are you using? I found one created by RWood and one created by crich70, both of which are .prc (since I have a Kindle).
Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #109
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Whose are you using? I found one created by RWood and one created by crich70, both of which are .prc (since I have a Kindle).
I haven't decided. I'd like to read the Lattimore translation and I'd happily pay (a reasonable sum) for the ebook version, but it's not available. I may decide to read it in pbook.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #110
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I haven't decided. I'd like to read the Lattimore translation and I'd happily pay (a reasonable sum) for the ebook version, but it's not available. I may decide to read it in pbook.
I decided on crich70's ebook since his has both The Iliad and The Odyssey. The Iliad is translated by Alexander Pope.
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #111
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Not sure I'm going to read A Christmas Carol (unless I can find the Mr Magoo version in print ), as I'm a bit Caroled out. I'll see if the Christmas spirit hits me in December...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #112
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Is Lattimore supposed to be the best translation? How is the Pope translation? I haven't researched yet, but I'll be looking for a good translation and hopefully also a version with good annotations (how I love annotations ). Hopefully there will be a satisfactory ebook version but if not I may buy a pbook.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #113
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Is Lattimore supposed to be the best translation? How is the Pope translation? I haven't researched yet, but I'll be looking for a good translation and hopefully also a version with good annotations (how I love annotations ). Hopefully there will be a satisfactory ebook version but if not I may buy a pbook.
crich70's version comes with linked annotations...whether they're good or not, however, I do not know.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #114
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Everyone should choose the translation they prefer, or to which they have access. The variety might actually add something to discussions. Myself, I'm going with the Fagle translation. It's the easiest for me to read. It flows best. For a first-time read, accessibility is my primary concern.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 11-26-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Although it's boring as hell if there's a clear lead from start to finish .
If there are two or three books that get a good enough jump start, when the vote is open, the rest may as well never have been nominated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #116
narflet
narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.narflet can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 3
I, for one, am glad Christmas Carol won. It's been sitting on my shelf since I was gifted it several years ago when I was in a production of it and I've never read it, so it'll be good to finally get around to it.

This Iliad reading project sounds interesting too. I read it in school, so it'd be interesting to read it again. I don't know if I still have my school copy (or what translation it was), and my English Lit notes; I'll have to see if I can find them.
narflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So it's a Christmas Carol is it? That's actually what I thought would win, though I thought the margin would be much bigger than what it was.

I am surprised at how many votes Lolita received. I guess JSWolf's campaigning really paid off.
It's just sick and sad that so many want to read pedophilia. It's not literature or classic anything. It's just a book about rape of a minor. Since it didn't win, it's time to drop this topic and get onto something better.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #118
Nyssa
Series Addict

Only two days left for the Voting Polls: Always hidden, or alternate? Run-off poll!!

Make your voices heard.

36 people voted in the first poll, but only 22 have voted, so far, in the run-off!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is my favorite version.
The BEST version EVER has MUPPETS!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #120
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Awww - I'll read A Christmas Carol. It wouldn't be my choice for my first foray into Dickens (always expected it to be A Tale of Two Cities).

But I'm not unhappy that it won.

To tell you the truth, there's quite a number of books on the list I would have been quite happy to read:

The Scarlet Letter
A Christmas Carol
The Age of Innocence
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Lolita
Heart of Darkness
To the Lighthouse

All would have been fine for me.
Some of the others, I'm also interested in - but not right now.

Which site has the best formatted version of A Christmas Carol?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote