Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
laknights
laknights
laknights began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g, kindle fire, Ipod
Smile Kindle Keyboard upgrade - Paperwhite

I really enjoy the Kindle Keyboard 3G version (KK3G). Shouldn't Amazon add Paperwhite technology to this great e-reader? KK3G has everything I have ever wanted in an e-reader... plus, free 3G, capable of playing great classical music to read by or listen to audio books, games, internet, and turn-page buttons.

Think about it, Amazon would not have to create any new hardware; simply add Paperwhite to current KK3G. Additionally, the KK3G solves the visually impaired issue with the new Kindles without speakers. Upgrading this e-reader with Paperwhite seems like a no-brainer! One final question... are touch screens really better than a keyboard for the e-reader?

Last edited by laknights; 09-17-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Clarification of last point in paragraph two
laknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by laknights View Post
One final question... are touch screens really better than a keyboard for the e-reader?
For me? Yes. For lots of others? Yes.

I remember one of the biggest complaints about the first three Kindles was the keyboard. It was "ugly." Many derided it as a "giant calculator." I found it amusing, but honestly, the keyboard never did anything for me. Despite having relatively small fingers, I found the keyboard difficult to use. When I got my Sony 950, I was so happy to leave the keyboard behind and use the touch screen. When the Kindle Touch came out, I was very happy to replace my K3. The popup keyboard on the Touch screen is far easier for me to use than the mechanical keyboard on the K3.

Do some people love the keyboard? Of course they do. Are there enough of them to sustain Amazon keeping it in the lineup? I seriously doubt it. However, only Amazon knows for sure how popular the unit still is.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I personally think the keyboard on the kindle is pretty horrible. It seems designed to avoid accidental presses, the result being it avoids being typed on

But, I like the k3 form factor because the extra space on the bottom makes it easier for me to hold it. I use TTS enough that i will miss not having it. And with audio and double the memory, it opens up many more possibilities for devs to make some cool stuff. The physical page buttons is a plus. the battery is user replaceable.

I'd love it if Amazon updated the k3 with the improved display. Call it the kindle classic. And another version with the light. Call it kindle classic paperwhite. It won't happen though. I think amazon keeps the k3 around primarily to preempt possible accessibility complaints.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post

I remember one of the biggest complaints about the first three Kindles was the keyboard. It was "ugly." Many derided it as a "giant calculator."
When I was looking to get my first eInk reader the choices were Kinde 1 or Sony PRS 505. The keyboard on the Kindle was a big negative factor for me, so much physical space 'wasted' without any extra screen.
I can see it is extremely useful for people who want to make frequent notes, do a lot of searching through books and suchlike, and was important originally to allow people to easily browse the online bookstore, but I think for most casual readers the touchscreen option would be preferable.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
But, I like the k3 form factor because the extra space on the bottom makes it easier for me to hold it.
This.

I plan to upgrade pretty soon, but my experience with trying other people's newer, keyboard-less models has not been very promising in the "how I prefer to hold the device" department. There will most definitely be a period of adjustment.

As for actually using the physical keyboard ... all the time. Love it. I do a lot of proofing of the ebooks I create/fix, so it's very handy for me. I make notes of corrections that need to be made. No need to "call up" a virtual keyboard that covers an even larger chunk of the screen (keyboard + the text-box); just move the cursor and start typing.

I'll probably always keep my older Kindle around for proofing purposes, and use the newer one just to read on—if I can adjust to a form-factor that assumes infant-sized hands (as opposed to the paws that I have), that is.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-18-2012 at 06:20 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I would rather love to have the Paperwhite screen on a Keyboard model. That would make me happy in pants.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I would rather love to have the Paperwhite screen on a Keyboard model.
I'd love to see it as well.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I would rather love to have the Paperwhite screen on a Keyboard model. That would make me happy in pants.
Me too. But my K4 screen is scratched, so I needed something new so I could read outside when walking the dog.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Having used a few Sony touch models now, I'm sold on the touch interface. I do like having page turn buttons but I think I could live without them. I very much enjoy double-tapping a word to bring up the dictionary entry for it. If I had to write a bunch of annotations, like a student might, I'd prefer a real keyboard. But in my e-readers I value smaller size and lighter weight for the same screen size.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I would like paperwhite, no keyboard, touchscreen, with pageturn buttons.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
That would be the absolutely perfect reader for me. Well, maybe add 2GB, but that's not necessary either.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
+1 for a PW kindle with page turns. I haven't got a touch screen model so I can't say if I will like it or not. I initially found the keyboard annoying but now I don't mind it and if you make notes or like to look up meanings, references etc, it's so useful.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I would like paperwhite, no keyboard, touchscreen, with pageturn buttons.
I've seen such a thing... it's called the Nook STR with Glowlight.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
And if B&N didn't have such terrible policies about sequestering memory and how it treats side-loaded books as "documents" and only B&N purchases as "books", the Nook STR with glowlight might be more attractive.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post

I remember one of the biggest complaints about the first three Kindles was the keyboard. It was "ugly."
I felt the same way about it except my first eink reader was the Sony PRS600. I now have the T1 and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As for actually using the physical keyboard ... all the time. Love it. I do a lot of proofing of the ebooks I create/fix, so it's very handy for me. I make notes of corrections that need to be made. No need to "call up" a virtual keyboard that covers an even larger chunk of the screen (keyboard + the text-box); just move the cursor and start typing.
I also proof on my Sony Readers and find the on-screen keyboard works well for it. The original nook has a separate touchscreen/virtual keyboard, but I don't like having to manipulate a cursor on-screen to annotate/lookup words. It's much easier to directly highlight the word and annotate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Having used a few Sony touch models now, I'm sold on the touch interface. I do like having page turn buttons but I think I could live without them. I very much enjoy double-tapping a word to bring up the dictionary entry for it. If I had to write a bunch of annotations, like a student might, I'd prefer a real keyboard. But in my e-readers I value smaller size and lighter weight for the same screen size.
This is exactly how I feel about my Sony's. I exclusively use the page turn buttons, but I guess I'd adapt if I had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
And if B&N didn't have such terrible policies about sequestering memory and how it treats side-loaded books as "documents" and only B&N purchases as "books", the Nook STR with glowlight might be more attractive.
Amen. I don't like the way my wife's nook segregates books. I understand why they do it, but my Sony accomplishes the same thing. I remove the DRM and sideload all my books anyway. Personally I think the Nook SimpleTouch is unattractive as well.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote