Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
harperking
harperking began at the beginning.

Device: REB 1100
Old 1100 died and I need to replace!

I have been an ebook reader for years now - and quite happy with mynold dinosaur of a REB1100. Unfortunately it has finally died on me and I cannot find a replacement for it.
So it is time to get one of these new fancy ones!
The problem is that I am spoiled by my 1100! Love the backlight and easily being able to convert/add my own books to the device. Touchscreen is also wonderful.
I don't think the Kindle is for me - that "flicker" between page turns would be so distracting! Any suggestions for a device I may like? (or Kindle folks who can convince me the flicker isnt as bad as it seems?)
harperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am no expert but it sounds as if you need one of the new LCD devices like the Nook Color or a Pandigital Novel.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
I can't really recommend the Kindle unless you are going to be buying a lot from the Kindle bookstore. But even then it is suggested to me on several occasions that, converting the Amazon books is a small hurdle.

But it does have a few nice features, I rather like the text to voice option, and it does handle PDF's rather well. I don't like the 5 way directional pad, it's really not all that effective.

I don't like the interface either, it's not as intuitive as the Sony's. Also the Kindle feels really fragile, as if one wrong move would break it in half.

It's not backlit, but I love my Sony PRS350. It has a touchscreen and comes with its own stylus. It supports several different formats.

It's got an easy user interface, and is easy to read. The PRS350 has a small screen, but I love the fact that it slips right into my pocket and can hold a lot of books.

The only problem I have is that it doesn't handle PDF's well. Another nice thing is that this device feels more solid than the kindle and I don't worry as much about breaking it.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
you dont really notice the flicker when you are reading
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If you prefer LCD screens for reading, look to ECTACO or Aluratec.
Both have affordable models with grayscale displays but no touch screen.
For touchscreen LCD there are a zillion cheap Android slates to choose from, some good, some atrocious. Some models known to be decent or better are from Pandigital, in 7 and 9 inch sizes, Pocketbook 7in, Archos 7 and 10 inches, and Barnes and Noble. Some come with preinstalled reader software, some need hacking to be opened up to generic apps, other are wide open.
Typically you can install reader software to access the Kindle store, Kobo/ Borders, fictionwise, public libraries, Sony (soon) and many PD book sites. You can also surf the web, listen to music and audiobooks and watch videos.
There are forums around here for most of those brands so once you decide which way you lean you can get detailed hands-on user reports.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
werdegast
werdegast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Galaxy Tab 10.1
If you are interested I have an eBookwise-1150 looking for a new home. You could have it for the cost of shipping if you would like.
werdegast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperking View Post
I don't think the Kindle is for me - that "flicker" between page turns would be so distracting!
Is your comment about Kindle 3 with most recent firmware? Even on Nook 1st generation turn page is really fast and no distracting at all. None of any of the modern ereaders like Sony or Kindle have that issue now.

If you read at bed only and with poor light conditions I would advice an LCD device. Otherwise, you should get an eink device (Sony, Nook 1st gen, Kindle 3) The reading experience is awesome!

Please provide your budget and the kind of books you like so we can provide a better advice.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-09-2011 at 02:48 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Nook color. I would've also upgraded to one had it been available when I was looking. I think the backlight, not having the flash between page turns, and the touchscreen are similar to what you are used to with the reb 1100.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had a K1 and currently use a DXG. They are not fragile. My K1 has flown many times, been to Autralia and New Zealand, has been to the beach, has been transported in a backpack while walking, commuting, and biking. There is not a scrath on it.

My DXG is perfectly fine even though it has gone through pretty much everything my K1 has.

If you live in the US, I would suggest going to a Best Buy and trying out the different e-readers there. You should be able to play with a Kindle, a Nook, and a Sony. I think they have the Nook Color but I could be wrong. That way you will get a feel for each device and can decide which one feels right in your hands.

I would check out the various bookstores and see which bookstore sells the books that you like at a price that you like. Realisticly speaking, if you have been converting books for your old reader you probably know how to strip DRM and convert books. That being the case, you can use any reader because you have the technical know how to buy books from any store and sideload them to your new device.

I don't notice the flicker on my Kindle. I noticed it at first on my K1 but it disappeared pretty fast and I don't think I noticed it on my DXG at all.

If you want a screen that is backlit, then you are not going to want a Sony, Kindle, Nook, or Kobo. You will have to look at the Nook Color or some of the other alternatives out there.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2

Last edited by Poppaea; 01-11-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Sorry bad case of morning stupidity
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote