Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Authors similar to Peter F Hamilton?

I just love Peter F Hamilton's work. I've just finished the Reality Dysfunction and the scope of the story is amazing. I've already got 6 more of his novels waiting to be read.

Before the Fictionwise sale ends I want to grab something similar in scope. Any other authors that you guys could recommend?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
If you like Hamilton, try Charles Stross or Iain M. Banks (FW has quite a few works by both, and Stross has at least one full novel available, quite legitimately, for free if you'd like a sample of his stuff). You might also want to check out Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light trilogy, although FW only has the second and third.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would also recommend Neal Asher. He's got the same space opera action vibe as Peter, IMHO.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/neal-l-asher/
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Before the Fictionwise sale ends I want to grab something similar in scope. Any other authors that you guys could recommend?
If you like Hamilton then also Kevin J. Anderson's saga of the seven suns might be of interest for you.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up Hidden Empire: Book 1 of the Saga of 7 Suns.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up Hidden Empire: Book 1 of the Saga of 7 Suns.
Cool... those series of books were the last "real" books I read before getting my sony prs. I found them a little corny in places, but still very enjoyable to read. I'm sure you'll like.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet

I hope so. I want to try something new after I finish the Night's Dawn trilogy. Luckily this is a bought by 'free Micropay' books so not much to lose if I don't like it.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Time to consult Literature-map!

Banks, Asher, Reynolds are three I've read and I'd agree with its results.

p.s. Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained are my favorite Hamilton books.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post

Hey... that's a cool site! Thanks...
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
If you like Hamilton, try Charles Stross or Iain M. Banks (FW has quite a few works by both, and Stross has at least one full novel available, quite legitimately, for free if you'd like a sample of his stuff). You might also want to check out Ken MacLeod's Engines of Light trilogy, although FW only has the second and third.
I've loved the night's dawn trilogy when I read it a few years ago.
I just finished Accelerando by Charles Stross, and I didn't enjoy it, I had to force myself to finish it. It shows that tastes differ.

I'll go check out the other suggestions in this thread, including Iain M. Banks, and also will try to read Pandora's star which I haven't read yet.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Dumfuk
Dumfuk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post

Quite. Pandoras star was acceptional. Judas unchained wasnt as good but worth the read. Not like you had a choice the way Pandora ended.
Dumfuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
1.) Hamilton's Void trilogy (the published Temporal Void and Dreaming Void, the upcoming Evolutionary Void) are indirect sequels to the Pandora/Judas books

2.) Nobody mentioned Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos being similar to the Pandora/Judas books.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
2.) Nobody mentioned Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos being similar to the Pandora/Judas books.
Good call, I'd forgotten those.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
I'll go check out the other suggestions in this thread, including Iain M. Banks, and also will try to read Pandora's star which I haven't read yet.
Ian M. Banks is good. I enjoy his work. The most recent one of his I read was "Matter". Not the same scope as Hamilton, but still enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Nobody mentioned Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos being similar to the Pandora/Judas books.
I've read Hyperion a while back. I can't say that I was drawn in to the same degree as I was with Hamilton's work.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
My thanks to the OP for posting this quesiton. I've garnered some interesting leads on new books to read.

An additional thanks to tyche for posting the link to the literature map. A truly fantastic resource.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote